The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
First Battalion South Canterbury Mounted Rifles
First Battalion South Canterbury Mounted Rifles.
Major John Turnbull Murray Hayhurst, who is elsewhere referred to in connection with Temuka, served a term of active service with the Third Contingent in the South African war.
Captain G. P. Wood, of the South Canterbury Mounted Rifles, is referred to in other articles connected with Timaru.
Captain G. A. M. Buckley, of the Ashburton Mounted Rifles, was born in Heathcote Valley, near Christchurch, in 1866, and is the second son of the late Mr George Buckley, formerly owner of the Waikakshi es ate. Mr. Buckley was educated, firstly, at Christ's College, Christchurch, and afterwards at Cheltenham College, England. He entered the British Army and gained a commission as lieutenant in the 37th Regiment, served three years in the militia, and three years in the Regulars, and was on active service in India nearly the whole time. Mr. Buckley returned to New Zealand in 1891, and in 1899 entered into possession of the Laghmor estate. He became a member of the Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalry, and on the formation of the Ashburton Mounted Ritles, was unanimously elected captain.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Captain G. A. M. Buckley.