Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]



Kimihia, in the county of Waikato, is a flag station, sixty-three miles from Auckland, on the Waikato line. The settlement, two miles distant, is connected with the station by a private railway owned by the Taupiri Coal Mines, Limited, which works a large area of coal bearing land. There is a schoolhouse at Kimihia settlement, and a considerable mining population.

The Kimihia Public School was established in 1897. It is erected on a section of four acres of land, is of wood and iron, and has one porch and a class room, with accommodation for sixty pupils. There are thirty-seven on the roll, with an average attendance of thirty-two.

Mr. Maurice Priestly, who holds a D certificate, has been Headmaster since the opening of the school. He was born in Bradford, England, in 1877, and came to Auckland, in the s.s. Doric,” when he was seven years of age. Mr. Priestly served his pupil-teachership at Point Chevalier and Mount Auckland, near Auckland, and was at Te Aroha prior to receiving his present appointment.