The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Pukekura is a fine farming district on the west side of the Waikato river, adjoining Cambridge West. It is principally a dairying country, and there is a large creamery in the district. There are several very fine orchards in Pukekura, and a number of first-rate farms. Settlement is extending from Pukekura in the direction of Maungatautari. The district is under the control of a road board, and lies in the county of Waipa.
The Pukekura Road Board has jurisdiction over the Pukekura riding of the county of Waipa. Members for 1900: Mr. R. Fisher, chairman, and Messrs E. Allen, R. Reynolds, T. Walker and W. White, with Mr. H. Fitzgerald as clerk and treasurer. The capital value of the properties in the district is £133,669, and the average rate is 1/2d in the £. There is a population of about 1000; and there are about 200 dwellings, and about 400 ratable properties owned by about 400 ratepayers. The total revenue of the Board for the year ended March, 1900, was £270. There are about thirty miles of roads in the district.
Mr. Robert Fisher, Chairman of the Pukekura Road Board since 1899, was born in 1848 in Ayrshire, Scotland, and came to Auckland with his parents by the ship “Lord Burleigh” in 1856. He holds 240 acres in a high state of cultivation. Mr. Fisher has served in the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers, in which he held the rank of sergeant-major for some years.
Mr. Edward Allen, who is a Member and was for some time chairman of the Pukekura Road Board, is referred to in another article as the owner of Warwick Farm, Pukekura.
Prize Herefords bred by Mr. R. Reynolds.
Jersey Cattle bred by Mr. R. Reynolds.
Aberdeen Angus Cattle Bred By Mr. R. Reynolds.
Mr. Thornton Walker, who is a Member of the Pukeura Road Board, is a son of Mr. E. B. Walker, of Monavale estate.
The Pukekura Creamery (New Zealand Dairy Association, proprietors), Cam bridge West, was established in 1886. It was the first butter factory erected by Mr. Henry Reynolds and has been worked by the Association since 1896. A six horse-power stationary engine drives two Alexandra separators, each of 300 gallons' capacity. It is claimed that the first separator used in the North Island was set up at this factory. There are about thirty suppliers in the district, and the total quantity put through daily is nearly 2000 gallons. Mr. R. Melville, who has been manager of the Pukekura Creamery since 1896, was previously in charge at Paterangi and Te Aroha.
Allen, Edward, Farmer, “Warwick Farm,” Pukekura. This settler's property consists of 250 acres of good grazing country, and is used principally for fattening stock and dairying, the milk being sent to the local creamery. A portion of the land is set apart for growing wheat, oats, and other grain. Mr. Allen is a native of Warwickshire, where he was born in 1817, educated at a grammar school in Northampton-shire and came with his parents to New Zealand in 1861 per ship “Black Eagle.” After farming at Mt. Albert for about eighteen years, he purchased his present property, and has resided there with his family since that date. In public matters. Mr. Allen has been active; he is chairman of the Pukekura Road Board, has been a member of the Waipa County Council for a number of years, is a member of Waikato Hospital and Charitable Aid Board, and vice-president of the Waikato Farmers' Club. He is married to a daughter of the late Mr. John Soutgate, of Warkworth, and has six sons and three daughters.
Blackwood. J. And J. (John Blackwood and James Blackwood), Farmers, “Kilellan,” Pukekura. The Messrs Blackwood have a dairy farm of 155 acres, on which from twenty to thirty cows are kept, and their milk is supplied to the local creamery.
Comer, Benjamin, Settler, Pukekura Mr. Comer was born in Somersetshire in 1830, and gained his agricultural experience on his father's farm. He was attracted to Australia by the goldfields in 1852 and was mining in Victoria with varied success until 1860, after which he came to New Zealand and engaged in mining in Otago for several years. In 1868, Mr. Comer returned to his native land, but the attractions of this Colony proving irresistible, he came back and settled in Pukekura in 1874.
Mr. B. Comer's Residence.
Hicks, Francis, Farmer, Pukekura. This old Colonist was born in Cornwall. England, in 1839, and was engaged in farming with his father. Mr. Hicks came to New Zealand per ship “William Watson” in 1860, and after looking round for a few months, decided to settle in Hawke's Bay. He founded the township of Hastings in that province in 1868 and gave sites for the railway station, public hall, etc. He then came to the Waikato and purchased “Trelawney” (now in the possession of Mr. T. W. Hicks), and some time afterwards he purchased his present farm, which consists of 900 acres, mostly down in grass and stocked with cattle. Mr. Hicks is always active in local matters, and has been connected with the local school committee and road board for many years. He has been a prominent member of the Farmers' Club since its inception. Mr. Hicks is married to a daughter of the late Mr. John Allen, and has three sons and eight daughters.
Mr. F. Hicks.
Hicks, Hart, Farmer, “Tremore Farm.” Pukekura. Mr. Hicks has occupied this property for more than twenty years. It consists of about 150 acres of good land. and though now a smiling farm, it was when taken up in a wild and exceedingly rough state. The proprietor is a native of Cornwall, England, where he was born in 1835, and was brought up to farming. In 1864, accompanied by his wife, he came to New Zealand by the ship “Mary Warren.” His first situation in Auckland was with Mr. Young, collector of customs, where he remained for about two page 783 years, leaving there to join his brother in Hawke's Bay. For the following nine years he had a farm at Clive and another at Hastings, with the early history of which town he was closely connected. His departure from the Hawke's Bay province was much regretted by a large circle of friends. Since his arrival over twenty years ago in Waikato, Mr. Hicks has taken a keen interest in all local matters. He is married and has one son and four daughters.
Mr. H. Hicks' Residence.
Hicks, Tobias William, Farmer, “Trelawney,” Pukekura. Mr. Hicks was born in Cornwall, England, in 1815, and was trained on his father's farm. He came to New Zealand in 1870 by the ship “Somersetshire” and shortly afterwards went to Hastings, where he had charge of the post office. Two years later Mr. Hicks decided to return to country life, and purchased his present farm of 217 acres, in the Waikato. Mr. Hicks devotes his energies chiefly to dairy farming and fruit growing. He has done a good deal to advance the dairy industry in the district. Mr. Hicks is married and has a family of three sons and two daughters.