The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Paterangi is a good farming district in Waipa County, six miles from Ohaupo and 100 miles from Auckland by rail. During the Waikato war the troops were encamped in a redoubt at Paterangi. The district has a post office, and a daily mail service, by a mounted mailman, with Ohaupo. It has also a public school, a creamery, and a public hall, in which a religious service is held every Sunday.
The Paterangi Creamery (New Zealand Dairy Association, proprietors) was established in 1881, and was one of the first erected in the district. It contains two Alexandra separators, driven by five horse-power Tangye engines, and each of 300 gallons capacity. There are over twenty suppliers, and about 900 gallons daily were received in the height of the season 1900–1901, the average for the previous year having been 760 gallons. The cream is sent daily to the Ohaupo railway station, six miles distant.
Mr. Herbert Thorpe, Manager of the Paterangi Creamery, was born in London in 1868. He came to Auckland by the s.s. “Tongariro” in 1884, and was two years at the Waiuku creamery, and six months at the Wairoa cheese factory. He has been in charge at Paterangi since 1894.
Kay, Robert, Settler, Paterangi. Mr. Kay was born in Scotland in 1833 and when quite a boy went with his parents to Ontario. Canada, where he was educated, and learned his trade as a waggon builder and blacksmith. He came to New Zealand in 1859 per ship “Caduceus,” landing at Auckland. Shortly afterwards, he settled at Whangarel, where he worked at his trade for twenty years. Mr. Kay purchased his present property in 1881. It is a nice farm of 158 acres, all of which is broken up and fenced, and a portion laid down in grain. For the last fourteen years, he has acted as postmaster at Paterangi, and carries on his trade as opportunity offers. Mr. Kay is married, and has four sons and one daughter.
Ryburn, James, Settler, “Greenbank,” Paterangi. Mr. Ryburn is a native of Scotland, where he was born in 1836. He came to New Zealand by the shin “Mary Shepherd,” landing at Auckland in 1866. For some time, Mr. Ryburn assisted his brother on his farm near Auckland, and bought his present residence in 1874. He has been a member of the road board for several years, and is chairman of the school committee.