Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]

Church Of England

Church Of England, Kaitaia. The first building used for worship at Kaitaia was made of raupo, but in 1840, or a year or two later, that was replaced by a large wooden building, 30 feet by 60 feet, with a tower and steeple, 60 feet high. At that time there was only one team of bullocks in the place, and most of the timber required for the church was not only sawn by the native, but drawn by them from the bush, a distance of four miles It was pulled down in 1886. The present pretty little church, 40 feet by 24 feet, not including the chancel, was then built by Mr. R. H. Matthews and his son—the son and grandson of the venerable vicar, since dead—and was consecrated by the Primate, Bishop Cowie, in March, 1887. The late Rev. Joseph Matthews was incumbent till 1888, and the present vicar is the Rev. C. J. Merton.