The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Mr. William Murray
Mr. William Murray, sometime of “Woodside,” was born in Aberdeen in 1837 and was brought up to the trade of a butcher under his father. He came to New Zealand in 1864 and during the Waikato war took a contract for supplying the troops with meat, after which he established himself in business at the corner of Wellesley and Queen Streets, Auckland. In 1870, he went to the Bay of Islands and lived for ten years close to “Woodside Farm,” then took a two years' lease of Cavalli Island, grazing thereon over 400 head of cattle and about the same number of sheep. In 1882, Mr. Murray bought “Woodside Farm” and worked it with great industry till his death in 1886, which was caused by a tumour, the result of a kick from a horse. He left a widow and family of seven sons and seven daughters.