Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]


page 516


Newmarket is a suburban borough lying to the south-east of Auckland, and adjoining the city. It has a population of 2060, and it bears the distinction of being in area the smallest borough in the Auckland province, but owing to the extensive traffic through its main streets, it always presents a very busy appearance. It is bounded on the north by the Auckland Domain, on the east by Remuera district, and on the west by Auckland city. Several churches are situated within easy distance of Newmarket, and within its own boundaries there is a Wesleyan Church, and another belonging to the Primitive Methodist connexion. The public institutions consist of the Town Hall, which contains the Borough Council's offices, and a large public school. The entrance to the Newmarket railway station is on the Manukau Road, and the large Government railway workshops are in the immediate vicinity. There is a borough reserve of three acres and a half, and on the northern flank of Newmarket is the Auckland Domain—as ample a pleasure ground as any borough can desire. The borough commands a panorama of mountain range, swelling uplands, pleasant glades and bosky dells, and the lofty
The Visit of The Duke and Duchess Of Cornwall And York To Auckland.1. The Royal Party in O'Rorke Street.2. Maori Arch and Stockade.3. Harbour Board's Arch.4. Floral Arch on Wharf, as seen from “Ophir.”5. H.M.S. “Juno.”6. Stern of the “Ophir” and Naval Ensign.7. Queen Street Decorations and the Government Arch.8. The Royal Party in Princes Street.9. Royal Yacht “Ophir” at Queen Street Wharf.10. Waiting for te Tuke.11. Returning from Military Review in Potter's Paddock.12. Leaving Auckland for Rotorua.13. H.M.S. “St. George.”

The Visit of The Duke and Duchess Of Cornwall And York To Auckland.

  • 1. The Royal Party in O'Rorke Street.

  • 2. Maori Arch and Stockade.

  • 3. Harbour Board's Arch.

  • 4. Floral Arch on Wharf, as seen from “Ophir.”

  • 5. H.M.S. “Juno.”

  • 6. Stern of the “Ophir” and Naval Ensign.

  • 7. Queen Street Decorations and the Government Arch.

  • 8. The Royal Party in Princes Street.

  • 9. Royal Yacht “Ophir” at Queen Street Wharf.

  • 10. Waiting for te Tuke.

  • 11. Returning from Military Review in Potter's Paddock.

  • 12. Leaving Auckland for Rotorua.

  • 13. H.M.S. “St. George.”

page 517 cone of the volcanic island of Rangi-toto is visible in the distance. Along the main thoroughfares—the Khyber Pass and the Manukau Road—are found the chief business premises, the two most imposing buildings in the former road being the Great Northern Brewery and the Captain Cook Brewery. There are also four good hotels in the borough. The tramway service, commencing at the Auckland wharves, extends along these roads aud through the district of Epsom as far as Alexandra Park. There are also lines of coaches and omnibuses from the city, running through the borough, to Remuera, Epsom, Onehunga and the southern districts. In the residential portion of Newmarket there are many fine residences, notably in Park Road, Carleton Gore Road and Park Avenue. Newmarket, formerly a road board district, was proclaimed a borough in June, 1885, and Mr. W. J. Suiter was elected as its first mayor. Since then the Mayoral chair has been successively occupied by Messrs W. Morgan, George Kent, F. G. Clayton, J. M. Laxon, and the present mayor, Mr. John Laird McColl.

The Borough Of Newmarket has an area of 150 acres, and contains 390 ratable properties, owned by 311 ratepayers. The rates levied by the council consist of a general rate of 1s 4d in the £, a special rate of 6d, and a water rate of from four to six per cent. The value of ratable property is £13,268.

His Worship The Mayor, Mr. John Laird McColl, is referred to in another article as an ex-president of the Auckland Builders' Association.

Councillor James S. Angus was first elected to the Newmarket Borough Council in September, 1888, and has sat continuously since then. He has devoted special attention to the water supply, and a few years ago, when an excessive leakage took place he was one of a party that discovered the waste, and eventually succeeded in bringing the register from 65,000 gallons to 38,000 gallons a day. This meant a welcome saving to the Council, as the Auckland City Council charges 1 1/2d per 1000 gallons. Mr. Angus proposed a scheme, whereby the water could be obtained from Onehunga, and plans were prepared by Messrs Boylan and Lundon, but owing to difficulties in securing permission to erect pumping plant in the One-hunga district, the scheme fell through. Mr. Angus was born in Glasgow in 1857, and came to Auckland with his parents in 1865 by the ship “Nimrod.” After completing his education he went to Kaipara, was employed for three years in the timber trade, and after that he was apprenticed to the plumbing and tinsmithing business. Mr. Angus was first with Messrs Gaugheler and Paul, in Wyndham Street, but finished his time with Mr. Clement Witheford. He wont to Wellington, and was with Messrs J. E. Hayes and Co., and Mr. J. T. Love, of Manners Street, but returned to Auckland, and entered into partnership with Mr. N. Randell. The firm dissolved partnership after five years, and Mr. Angus then established his present business.

Councillor Francis Bennett was first elected a Member of the Newmarket Borough Council in 1900, when he gained the foremost place at the poll, and he was returned unopposed in April, 1901. Mr. Bennett was born in Midhurast, England, in 1847, and educated at the public school in that city. He was apprenticed to the business of nurseryman, and has followed that calling with success in the colonies.

Councillor John Randell Caston, Member of the Newmarket Borough Council, is fully referred to in another article in connection with his business as a painter, paperhanger, and house decorator.

Councillor Ernest Davis, a Member of the Newmarket Borough Council, is well known in business circles, and is referred to in the military section of this work.

Councillor William Edgerley, a Member of the Newmarket Borough Council, was first elected about fifteen years ago, when the Newmarket Road Board was changed to a Borough Council, and since then he has been repeatedly returned at the head of the poll. Mr. Edgerley is also a member of the licensing committee, and was chairman for five years. He was born in Newmarket, Auckland, in 1851, and saw active service as a member of the Armed Constabulary at the time of the Maori wars.

Councillor John Kennedy, who became a Member of the Newmarket Borough Council for the first time in April, 1901, was born in Auckland in 1866, and educated at various public and private schools. He is a carpenter, and carries on business as a contractor in that trade.

Councillor John M. Laxon, a Member of the Newmarket Borough Council, has been mayor of the borough four times. He is the third son of the late Mr. W. A. Laxon, of Otahuhu. Mr. Laxon was born at Papa-toitoi, near Auckland, in 1863, was educated there and in Auckland, and was subsequently engaged for about sixteen months on his father's farm. In 1880 he entered the employment of the late Mr. John Lamb, and continued there and in the Auckland Roller Mills until 1890, when he commenced business as a grain and produce merchant. His partner is Mr. Robert Neill, and the firm trades as Laxon, Neill, and Co., in Gore Street. Mr. Laxon was a member of the Newmarket Borough Council for about five years before becoming mayor. He is president of the Newmarket Bowling Club, and takes great interest in sporting matters. Mr. Laxon is married, and has four children.

Councillor J. M. Laxon.

Councillor J. M. Laxon.

Councillor Alfred Seccombe, Member of the Newmarket Borough Council, was first elected to that body in July, 1900, and was re-elected in April, 1901. During his term of office several important changes have been effected in the borough, and the granting of a concession for the establishment of the electric tramway service is one of them. Mr. Seccombe, although still a young man, possesses a practical business knowledge, and has evinced considerable interest in social affairs, and this, in addition to his progressive policy in the council, has won for him the confidence and respect of the ratepayers. The appreciation
Councillor A. Seccombe.

Councillor A. Seccombe.

page 518 of his services as a member of the Newmarket school committee was manifested at the election of 1901, when he was returned at the top of the poll. Mr. Seccombe was born in Auckland, in 1863, and is a son of the late Mr. J. C. Seccombe, the founder of the Great Northern Brewery. He was educated at colleges in Wellington and Nelson, and completed his studies at St. John's College, Auckland. Shortly afterwards he entered the well-known brewery, then owned by his father, and there acquired an experience in business and a thorough practical knowledge of the trade. On the death of his father, in 1898, Mr. Seccombe was appointed a trustee in the estate, and when the business was subsequently formed into a Limited Liability Company, he was promoted to his present position as manager. In this position his practical experience in every branch of the business has been of great benefit to the company, and his personal character has gained for him the respect and appreciation of all.

Councillor Arthur Shipherd was elected a Member of the Newmarket Borough Council in April, 1901.

Mr. William Hogg, Town Clerk, Treasurer, and Rate Collector of the Newmarket Borough Council, was appointed on the 1st of October, 1895, and has proved a faithful servant to the borough. Mr. Hogg was born in Ireland in 1840, and educated at Market Hm National School, in the county of Armagh. He arrived in New Zealand in June, 1863.

Mr. J. G. Carr, Valuator to the Newmarket Borough Council, carries on business as a builder. He resides in Vincent Road, Remuera.

Messrs Hesketh And Richmond, who are elsewhere referred to as barristers and solicitors, are solicitors to the Newmarket Borough Council.

Mr. John Lumpkin, for many years the Senior Councillor of the Borough of Newmarket, was born in Lincolnshire, England, in 1832. He emigrated in 1852 to Victoria, where he visited the principal goldfields. In 1862 he came to New Zealand, and joined in the famous Gabriel's Gully “rush” in Otago. Subsequently he visited Auckland and the Thames, and was engaged in mining during the “boom” of 1867. He afterwards started a butchering business at Newmarket, and still carries it on. Twelve months after Newmarket was made a borough, Mr. Lumpkin was elected a member of the Council, and held a seat continuously until 1901. He has been a member of the Newmarket Licensing Committee since its inception. Mr. Lumpkin is married and has one son.

Mr. J. Lumpkin.

Mr. J. Lumpkin.

Mr. Nathaniel Randell occupied a seat on the Newmarket Borough Council for a term of three years. He was born at Cromer, in Norfolk, England, in 1850, is a son of Mr. Thomas Randell, and was educated at the Goldsmiths' school, Cromer. His father was a plumber, and he also followed that calling for four or five years; and after spending several years in Guildford and other parts of England, he came out to Auckland by the ship “Dorette,” in 1874. For some time he worked as a journeyman at his trade in Auckland, and then established his present business in Newmarket. Mr. Randell was one of the promoters of the Newmarket Brass Band. As a member of the Newmarket school committee, he has discharged the duties of its secrotary and treasurer. Mr. Randell is a Freemason. When Lord Onslow left New Zealand Mr. Randell took an active part in the arrangements for the send-off given to that nobleman, with whom he was acquainted, as he had worked on Lord Onslow's estates in England.

The Newmarket Railway Station was originally the terminal station of the Auckland-Waikato section of Government railways. It is built of wood and iron, and contains a stationmaster's room, ticket and telegraph offices, waiting rooms, a ticket lobby, porter's quarters and other necessary accommodation. The station has a double platform and is the junction of the branch line of railway to Kaipara. About forty trains pass daily to and from Auckland, Waikato, Onehunga, and Kaipara.

Mr. Joseph Thomas Bevan Great-Batch, Stationmaster, was born in Wellington in 1862, and educated at Featherston, where he joined the Post and Telegraph Department in 1879, as messenger; but, two years later, he was transferred to the railway department as clerk. In 1885 he became parcels clerk and telegraphist at the Wellington station, and after two years of service there, he was removed to the traffic manager's office at Christchurch. He acted as chief clerk at Westport from 1889 until his promotion to the important office which he now holds. Mr. Greatbatch was married in October, 1891, to a daughter of Mr. T. Nathan, of Palmerston North, contractor, and has two sons.

Professional, Commercial
and Industrial
Caston, John Randell, Painter, Paperhanger, Decorator, etc., Khyber Pass, Newmarket. Mr. Caston was born in 1849 [unclear: in] London, where he was apprenticed to Mr. Roper for six years, and had considerable experience with several of the leading London firms. In 1874 he came to New Zealand by the ship “Dorette,” and settled at Gisborne, where he worked as a journeyman for some time and afterwards commenced business on his own account. In 1878, Mr. Caston returned to England, and entered the employment page 519 of Messrs Hopewell, of London. Four years later he returned to Australia, and was in business in Sydney. In 1884 he came on to Auckland, and entered the employment of Mr. Dunn, and as his foreman, superintended many large contracts. About twelve years ago Mr. Caston commenced business in Khyber Pass, where he was joined in partnership by his late son. Mr. Caston has executed some large contracts, such as painting and paperhanging the Waverley Hotel, Messrs Nathan's buildings, and many others. As a Freemason he is a member of Lodge Manukau, No. 24, New Zealand Constitution, and has always taken an active interest in local matters affecting the welfare of the district. He is a member of the Newmarket Borough Council.

Mr. William George Caston, son of Mr. J. R. Caston, was born in London, and brought up to the trade of a sign-writer, etc. He entered into partnership with his father, and was associated with him until the time of his sad death, which took place in May, 1897, when he was only twenty-three years of age. He was exceptionally gifted as a musician and clever with the brush, and his death was greatly regretted by a large circle of friends.

The Late Mr. W. G. Caston.

The Late Mr. W. G. Caston.

Angus, James Stark, Plumber, Gas-fitter, Tinsmith, and Metal Worker, Manukau Road, Newmarket. This business was established several years ago by Mr. Angus, when he dissolved partnership with Mr. Randell. The premises consist of a two-storey wooden building, with a frontage of over forty fect, and it and the adjoining shop are his own freehold property. The material used by Mr. Angus in his business is obtained chiefly in New Zealand, as he finds that the requirements of the trade can be met in that way. He keeps full stocks of all kinds of tinware, which is manufactured on the premises, and carries large quantities of all requisites necessary in his trade. Mr. Angus has a good business connection, in consequence of his energy and perseverance, and has executed some large contracts. He is referred to else where as a member of the Newmarket Borough Council.

Blampied, Philip, Boot and Shoe Manufacturer, Khyber Pass Road, Newmarket. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Mr. Blampied is a native of Jersey, and arrived in New Zealand in 1874 by the ship “Cartvaile,” from London. He first opened in business in Christchurch, and began in Auckland as a boot and shoe manufacturer in 1883. Mr. Blampied has a thorough knowledge of the business, and with perseverance he has succeeded in obtaining a large share of work from all parts of the colony. His factory gives employment to five regular hands, and he keeps the most improved sewing and eye-letting machines, presses, rollers, etc. The premises are built of wood, are two stories in height, and have a floorage space of 2400 square feet. Mr. Blampied's specialty is hand-sewn boots and shoes, for which he has a well-earned reputation.

page 520

One Tree Hill Stud Stables (Leonard Marshall, owner), One Tree Hill, or Maungakiekie. The historical Maori stronghold, from which the stables derive their name, is one of the many picturesque extinct volcanoes which give such charm to the Auckland landscape, and its situation is about equidistant between the Waitemata and One-hunga harbours. Towards the east lies the Ellerslie racecourse, one of the most beautiful in New Zealand, and Mr. Marshall's stables, which have some of the finest and most fashionable stock in the Colony, are between the course and the base of the hill. Auckland has been proved to possess a climate second to none for the rearing of blood stock, and Mr. Marshall's establishment at One Tree Hill stud farm, supplies the very strongest evidence in that respect. The stud comprises about forty animals, including sires, mares, foals, the quality of which shows that the owner has displayed the greatest care and foresight in selecting from some of the finest strains of blood known in the racing world. In the selection of his sires, Mr. Marshall has shown the greatest judgment. At the outset he knew of many high-class sires to be obtained m the Australasian colonies, but he determined to secure, if possible, a horse of the hignest lineage to be procured in the Old Country. With that object he went to Great Britain, and after visiting all the celebrated stables, his choice fell on Cyrenian, a scion of the mighty St. Simon, owned by the Marquis of Londonderry. Cyrenian was secured at a very high figure, and shipped to New Zealand. Mr. Marshall afterwards visited Australia and purchased at the Tocal sale, a collection of nine mares of the highest lineage. With sires like Cyrenian, Eton, and Coronet, mated with purebred mares, the One Tree Hill stud farm has earned the greatest distinction, and has added further fame to Auck-land as a horse-breeding centre. The stables are under the supervision of Mr. Joseph B. Williams, who is well known in New Zealand as one of the leading trainers in the Colony. Numerous horses which have made successful records have been trained by Mr. Williams at One Tree Hill, and the establishment, under his management, is bound to maintain its high reputation.

Mr. Leonard Marshall's “Cyrenian.“

Mr. Leonard Marshall's “Cyrenian.“

Cyrenian, imported by Mr. Leonard Marshall, and bred by Lord Londonderry, was got by St. Simon out of Daisy Chain, by Springfield out of Chatelaine; St. Angela, and Galopin. St. Simon's fame on the turf is world-wide, and Springfield, the sire of Daisy Chain, was recognised as a great horse. He won seventeen, races out of nineteen in which he started, and won in stakes during his career £14,952, which was then looked upon as a great amount. There is no doubt about the pedigree of Cyrenian. He looks a most perfect horse, standing about sixteen hands, with good shoulders, great girth, and powerful quarters, with plenty of muscle on the inner thighs. His head is very handsome, with a thoroughbred look, and his legs and feet are as strong and as clean looking as when he was a two-year-old. He is perfection from the tips of his ears to the points of his hoofs, the beau ideal of a racing horse. Cyrenian has the credit of accomplishing the fastest once round ever witnessed at Ellerslie. Before leaving England he won the Hardcastle Stakes at Ascot, Granby Stakes, and Welter Stakes at Newmarket, Belper Plate at Derby, and Johnston Plate at Stockbridge. Cyrenian is now rising seven years old.

Eton is a beautiful bay, showing great power all over. He is a son of Castor and Lady Walmsley, and grandson to Musket and Mersey. His dam. Lady Walmsley, is own sister to the renowned Carbine, winner of thirty-three races out of forty-three starts. Eton is the only descendant of this family in the Colony, and merits the attention of all
Mr, Leonard Marshall's “Eton.“

Mr, Leonard Marshall's “Eton.“

page 521 breeders. His stock are full of promise, size, and quality. Eton has proved his good racing qualities by winning eight races against strong fields.
Group of Brood Mares. Property of Mr. Marshall

Group of Brood Mares. Property of Mr. Marshall

Coronet is strikingly a beautifully shaped animal, and was got by Castor from Necklace; by Musket from Locket, by Thunderbolt from Keep Sake, by Daniel O'Rorke. He has made capital performances, winning, amongst other races, the Takapuna Cup (one mile and a half), Auckland Racing Club Summer Cup (one mile and three-quarters), Egmont Cup (one mile and three-quarters) twice, and the Taranaki Cup (one mile and a half). Coronet must be counted a valuable addition to the list of thoroughbreds in New Zealand. With three such high-bred sires, mated with some of the most aristocratic mares, the progeny must add to the reputation of their distinguished ancestors.

The following are some of Mr. Marshall's mares, with their pedigrees:—

Windmill, a handsome chestnut mare (bred by Mr. F. S. Reynolds, New South Wales), by Goldsbrough out of Merry-go-Round, by Hamlet from Whirlpool, by Fitzroland. In 1899 Windmill threw a chestnut colt by Gossoon, and in 1900 a bay colt by Cyrenian; both are very handsome, promising looking animals, and take after their respective sires.

Pit-a-Pat, a bay mare (bred by Mr. E. D. Mestre, New South Wales), by Rupert; her dam, Footprint, by Robinson Crusoe; Balkis, by Chieftain; Lauristina, by Scratch; Latona, by Skeleton; Miss Lane (imp.), by Rector.

Hinemoa, a bay mare (bred in 1896 by Sir Thomas Elder), by Gang Forward; her dam Primula (got in England, but foaled in New South Wales), by Merry Hampton; Paigle (imp.), by Springfield, Lilian, by Wingrave.

Kitty Flynn, a chestnut mare, by Trident; her dam Alcestis, by The Drummer; Arawata, by Chevalier; Queen of Sheba, by St. Giles (son of Sir Hercules); Queen of Beauty, by Dover; Tossina, by Toss; Penelope (imp.), by Phantom. In 1900 Kitty Flynn threw a bay filly to Eton.

Silk, a bay mare (bred by the Hon. J. Eales, New South Wales), by Grandmaster; her dam, Chrysophrase, by Rapid Bay; Chrysolite (imp.), by Stackwell.

Irma, brown mare (bred by Sir Thomas Elder), by Neckersgat; her dam, Perhaps, by Gang Forward; Peradventure, by Adventurer. In 1899 she threw a bay filly, Cygnet, by Cydnus.

Matakanui, a brown mare (bred by Mr. F. S. Reynolds, New South Wales, in 1895), by Churchill; her dam, Ruby, by Bras de Fer; Ruby, by Angler; Sandfly, by Fireworks; The Fly, by Fisherman; Marchioness (imp.), by Melbourne.

The nine mares purchased by Mr. Marshall at the Tocal sale are of the best blood, from sire and dam, in the Australasian colonies. They are a handsome and choice lot, showing breeding in every point, and they constitute a most valuable addition to a stud previously enriched from some of the choicest strains in the Southern Hemisphere.

Mr. Leonard Marshall's “Coronet.”

Mr. Leonard Marshall's “Coronet.”