The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Parnell is the oldest suburb of Auckland, and is the residential quarter of many leading citizens. When entering the harbour and rounding the North Head, the borough of Parnell is the first portion of Auckland seen by the visitor. Situated on high ground overlooking the city and upper portion of the harbour, and commanding a noble prospect seaward, it has always been a favourite place of residence. In Parnell, in the very early days, the Anglican Church established its seat, and it still continues to be the residence of the Bishop (who is also Primate of New Zealand), while the Diocesan Library and other Church of England institutions and charities are also located in the place. The churches include St. Mary's Pro-Cathedral, which has a remarkably fine chime of bells, St. John the Baptist Boman Catholic Chapel, and Wesleyan and Presbyterian Churches.
The borough numbers amongst its institutions the Orphan Home, St. Stephen's Native School, where a good commercial education is provided for Native lads drawn from all parts of the provincial district and boarded at the establishment; Jubilee Institute for the Blind, Women's Home, and Children's Home. Parnell has also a fine public school, with a separate building for infants, a Roman Catholic Convent, and an Oddfellows' Hall. On the 12th of June, 1901, His Royal Highness the Duke of Cornwall and York, accompanied by the Duchess, laid the foundation stone of the Queen Victoria School for Maori Girls, at the site of the school, on the Native school estate in Glanville Terrace, Parnell, in the presence of a very large gathering of people.
Parnell is bounded on the east by Hobson Bay and the Remuera district, on the south by the borough of Newmarket, on the west by the Domain and the railway from Auckland to Onehunga, and on the north it is laved by the waters of the harbour, which form the charming St. George's and Judge's Bays. It possesses a mosquito fleet of yachts, a very successful rowing club, a lawn tennis club and a bowling club.
The Manukau Road is the main avenue of traffic and the scene of business life in Parnell, and gives the speediest access from the wharves and lower parts of the city to Newmarket, Remuera, and Epsom. Lines of omnibuses keep up communication between the city, Parnell, Newmarket and Remuera. The leading shops of the borough, its three hotels, as well as its churches and hall, are situated on the Manukau Road. St. Stephen's Avenue and Gladstone Road are fine thoroughfares, graced by many handsome residences. At the lower end of Gladstone Boad the fine mansion of Dr. Logan Campbell, the father of Auckland, stands within its spacious grounds, and has a captivating aspect from the harbour.
The Parnell borough was proclaimed in April, 1877, and Colonel Henry Matthew Nation, an old army officer, was the first to occupy the mayoral chair. He was followed successively by Messrs J. W. Melton, William Coleman, J. W. Robinson, J. Friar Clarke, Robert Walker, D. H. McKenzie, Jonathan Winks, S. Thorne George, John McCabe, G. S. Kissling, S. Von Sturmer, Joseph Thornes, and N. W. Pollard. The present Mayor is Mr. H. Campbell, and Mr. Benjamin Gilmer is the Town Clerk.
His Worship The Mayor Of Parnell. Mr. Hugh Campbell , was born at Helensburgh, Scotland, and arrived in New Zealand in 1864. After being for some years in commercial life, he took to the study of the law as a pupil of the late Mr. J. B. Russell, and on being admitted as a barrister and solicitor, he joined that gentleman in partnership, under the style of Russell and Campbell. Mr. Campbell occupies a high position at the bar, and is now the senior member of his firm, which practises at Auckland and Wellington. He resides at Parnell, was first elected to the office of mayor in 1898, and had been previously a councillor of the borough. Since he has been mayor a complete scheme for the drainage of Parnell has been undertaken. Mr. Campbell is in favour of an amalgamation of Auckland with all the suburbs and local districts in its neighbourhood, under one local governing body, with large powers of self-government, to deal in a comprehensive manner with such questions as water supply, drainage, tramways, lighting, etc. He unsuccessfully contested Parnell at the last general election. Mr. Campbell is married to a daughter of the late Mr. R. C. Barstow, formerly resident magistrate at Auckland.
Councillor Charles John Brook, of the Parnell Borough Council, has served with credit to himself and benefit to the community on other local bodies. An outline of his career is given in connection with his business as a builder and contractor.
Councillor George Cozens, a Member of the Parnell Borough Council, is a pioneer colonist, who has had a most varied and interesting career. He was born in Launceston, Tasmania, on the 2nd of May, 1838, and is a son of the late Mr. William Cozens, one of Tasmania's earliest settlers. On the 13th of January, 1847, the family left for England in the “Jane Francis” (Captain William Crosby), reached Home in the following May, and Mr. Cozens was put to school at Boughton, near Faversham, Kent, and at Lynn Regis, Norfolk. In 1850 he went to sea, and was trading in the Mediterranean during the insurroction in Sicily, but was in London to see the Duke of Wellington's funeral. Mr. Cozens then joined the “Jane Francis,” under Captain Denkin, trading to Tasmania, but left the ship to go to the Victorian goldfields, whence, after an experience of two years, he returned to Tasmania, to take up his duties as shipping clerk in a Launceston office, which was running the s.s. “Titania” to the North-west ports, as far as Circular Head. Three years later he made another change, and spent a few years trading between the Colonies and England. When the Tuapeka diggings broke out, he joined the Public Works Department of Southland, and was in that and in the Provincial Superintendent's office for three years. In 1861, Mr. Cozens tried his luck on the West Coast diggings, and was in the postal department at Hokitika for six months. He was then in business as an auctioneer, but in 1868, he removed to Auckland and turned his attention to the Thames goldfields. He invested in a cutter named the “Lapwing,” trading to the Fijis, but subsequently disposed of her, and returned to Tasmania, where he obtained a situation in Hobart in the employment of the Deloraine and Mersey Tramway Company. Twelve months later he returned to New Zealand and was articled for three years to Messrs Button and Reid, then a well-known firm of solicitors. Mr. Cozens then acted as a mining advocate for a local firm and made another trip to Tasmania, and on his return to Auckland, he acted as accountant for Mr. Binney, the auctioneer. Mr. Cozens was elected to the Parnell Borough Council when it was formed, but served only three years owing to his leaving the country. In December, 1896, he was again elected to a seat on the Council, and is still a member. Mr. Cozens is of the opinion that the Borough of Parnell would be placed in a better position and could be worked more economically if it were joined to Auckland, and when elected he moved for a committee to enquire and report, but the matter fell through. Subsequently he continued to advocate a scheme for the improvement of the water supply and drainage. In 1879, he took charge of a brick yard in Mechanics' Bay, and conducted it successfully till the depression of 1888, when he established himself in business as a customs and general agent. He is manager for Captain W. C. Daldy, is one of the local agents for the Pacific Island Company, Ltd., of London, and does the customs work of many of the leading importers of Auckland. Mr. Cozens is a Mason and an Oddfellow, and a member of the Parnell school committee. He is well known as an old athlete, is a prominent yachtsman, has been a member of the Auckland Chess Club for about seventeen years, and has been connected with the Auckland Tennis Club, the Remuera Bowling and Tennis Club, and the Auckland Bowling Club. On the 8th of February, 1901, Mr. Cozens was elected a member of the Auckland Harbour Board, on which he represents the Parnell Borough Council.
Hanna, photo.Councillor G. Cozens.
Councillor John Fitt was first elected to the Parnell Borough Council in September, 1896, and was returned at the head of the poll by a large majority. He served the term of three years, and on being requested to offer his services again, he was re-elected in September, 1899, when he again headed the poll by an overwhelming majority. Mr. Fitt is a strong advocate of the drainage and water schemes, and has always held that public affairs should be dealt with as though they were a man's business concerns. Mr. Fitt was born in Auckland in 1845, and is a son of Mr. John Fitt, who came to New Zealand from Australia in that year. He was educated at the local public schools and privately until apprenticed for five years to the joinery trade. Mr. Fitt served in the New Zealand Militia, and belonged to the first Court of Foresters opened in Auckland. He spent two years in New South Wales, but came back to New Zealand, and worked on the Thames goldfields, whence he returned to Auckland, and spent four years learning soap manufacturing. In 1874 he entered into partnership with Mr. C. Wood, and erected buildings and plant at Hobson Bay, where they began soap making. After carrying on for a few years trade increased so rapidly that it became necessary to enlarge buildings and plant to meet the demands of the local and the export trade. Mr. Fitt still superintends the works, which are well-known as C. Wood and Co.'s soap works.
Councillor J. Fitt.
Councillor James Gilmour, Member of the Parnell Borough Council, was originally elected in 1886. He has not been continuously a councillor since then, but has served for many years.
Councillor Charles Edward MacCormick was elected to the Parnell Borough Council in October, 1900. He is elsewhere referred to as a partner in the firm of Messrs Dufaur and MacCormick, barristers and solicitors. Mr. MacCormick resides in Cleveland Road, Parnell.
Councillor John Petford, who was returned as a member of the Parnell Borough Council in April, 1901, had previously served in that capacity for a term, during which his services won for him the entire confidence of his constituents. Mr. Petford is a plumber by trade, and occupies suitable and commodious premises in Auckland.
Councillor Henry C. Tewsley has been a Member of the Parnell Borough Council since 1897. He is well known in commercial circles as manager of the Auckland branch of the firm of Messrs Sargood, Son, and Ewen. Mr. Tewsley resides in St. Stephen's Road, Parnell.
Councillor William Thomas has served as a Member of Parnell Borough Council since 1894. He as a monumental mason, and carries on the business established in Victoria Street East by his father, the late Mr. W. Thomas, who is referred to in the Old Colonists' section of this volume.
Mr. Benjamin Gilmer, the Town Clerk and Treasurer of Parnell, has creditably filled these positions since 1893, the date of his appointment. For several years he has also been Returning Officer for the Eden electorate. Mr. Gilmer was born in Belfast, Ireland, in 1832, and in his twentieth year he left the Old Country in the ship “Waterlily,” for Adelaide. Thence he went to Melbourne, and on to the gold diggings, where he remained for eighteen months. He then returned to Melbourne and entered commercial life in a large stock and station agency business, and a few months later, in 1854, he came on to Auckland. After his arrival in New Zealand he went to Mahurangi, where he spent six years in the healthy occupation of bushfelling; and he afterwards followed the gold “rush” in Otago, at Gabriel's Gully and Waitahuna. On returning to Auckland Mr. Gilmer was engaged with some leading commercial firms for a few years, and he and the late Mr. John Waymouth subsequently started business on their own account, in partnership, as public accountants. This partnership lasted some years, and was dissolved when Mr. Gilmer accepted the position of secretary and manager of the Mercury Bay Timber Company—a position which he held until that company amalgamated with the Kauri Timber Company. After the amalgamation he entered the Kauri Timber Company's service, and remained in it until 1891, when he resigned to again start in business, as a legal manager for several gold mining companies. Two years later he accepted his present position, and his courtesy and ability have been felt and appreciated by all who have come into contact with him. Mr. Gilmer was married in Auckland, and has a family of nine children.
Hanna, photo.Mr. B. Gilmer.
Mr. John McCabe , J.P., was born in County Cavan, Ireland, in 1836. During the year 1856 he left home for India, where he stayed about four years, and then returned to the Old Country. In 1865 he again left home, this time for New Zealand, and landed in Auckland in May of the same year. Shortly after his arrival in Auckland the Thames goldfields were opened, and like many others, Mr. McCabe went there to try his luck. After a few years of the ups and downs of mining life, he was fortunate enough to become a shareholder in the famous Queen of Beauty gold mine. He then left the Thames, and settled in Parnell. For fourteen years he held a seat in the Parnell Borough Council, and was for two years mayor of the borough. During the years 1893–94, he was a member of the Auckland Harbour Board, and also of the Hospital and Charitable Aid Boards. Mr. McCabe has been for many years associated with St. John the Baptist's Roman Catholic Church in Parnell. He married a daughter of the late Captain Nolan, and they have four sons and four daughters.
Mr. J. McCabe.
Mr. Arthur, Pearson Friend was born at Kingsbridge, near Plymouth, England, in 1856, and had twelve years' experience in the soft goods trade at Plymouth. In 1883 he went to London, as secretary of a large electrical company, in the employment of which he remained six years. He arrived in Melbourne in 1890, and joined the staff of Messrs L. Stevenson and Sons, Ltd., of Flinders Lane. Three years later he was selected by Sir F. Sargood to fill the position of secretary at Auckland to the Kauri Timber Company, Ltd., for which he was afterwards also attorney. In 1898 he retired, and entered into business as accountant and commission agent, and in June, 1899, he was appointed, district manager to the Ocean Accident and Guarantee Corporation, Ltd., at Auckland. Mr. Friend holds three Cambridge University certificates, and is a Fellow of the New Zealand Institute of Accountants. He has been a member of the Parnell Borough Council and also of the Auckland Hospital and Charitable Aid Board.
Mr. E. Waymouth.
Mr. Arthur Wright, for many years a Member of the Parnell Borough Council, was born in Hammersmith, a suburb of London, in 1832. His father, the late Mr. John Wright, carried on a large business as a chemist and druggist. Mr. A. Wright was educated at Dr. Nichola's Academy in Ealing, was brought up to the tailoring trade, and while he was in London gaining a thorough knowledge of his business, a considerable portion of his time was spent in the employment of Mr. Poole, the celebrated tailor, of Saville Road. He landed in Auckland in the latter end of 1859, and at once started in business as a merchant tailor, and has been in harness ever since. Mr. Wright imports all his stuffs, has on hand at all times a large stock of the very latest material, and has now one of the leading tailoring establishments in Auckland. In 1890 he was elected a member of the Parnell Borough Council, and was reelected at several subsequent elections Mr. Wright has devoted much time to Freemasonry. He is a Past Master of the Waitemata Lodge (the oldest Lodge in the district) and was Worshipful Master for two terms. He is also a Past Master of the Ara Lodge. No. 348, and was for three years Senior Grand Warden in the Grand Lodge. As early as 1868 Mr. Wright became identified with mining and is now closely associated with sixty or seventy companies, of many of which he is a director. He resides in St. Stephen's Avenue, Parnell, is married, and has a family of two daughters.
Hanna, photo.Mr. A. Wright.
Parnell Public School. In 1879, the householders of Parnell made a very spirited effort to provide adequate accommodation for the children attending school. At that time the school was held in St. Mary's Anglican schoolroom, Scarborough Terrace. A sum of money amounting to about £220 was collected, and the present site, which was originally a hospital reserve, was acquired from the Government. Among those who took a prominent part in the movement were Messrs J. W. Robinson (Mayor of Parnell), W. J. Speight, J. Winks, D. H. Mackenzie, Caleb Wood, and F. J. Moss, M.H.R. The Board of Education eventually undertook the erection of the building, which is designed to hold 600 pupils, and the school was formally opened in 1880 by the mayor, Mr. Robinson, Sir Maurice O'Rorke being one of the speakers on the occasion. In 1897 the school committee, supported by the householders, applied to the Board for a detached building as an infant school. The Board's architects, Messrs Mitchell and Watt, thereupon designed and prepared the plans of what is regarded as the most up-to-date infant school in the Auckland district. It is known as the “Diamond Jubilee Infant School,” and accommodates 200 children. The Board's permit allows an attendance of 800 pupils in the two buildings. There are 676 on the roll, and the average attendance is about 560 pupils.
Mr. John Lyons Scott, Headmaster of the Parnell Public School, was born at Birkenhead, near Liverpool, England, in 1847, and is the eldest son of Mr. James Scott, of Birkenhead, but formerly of Dumfries, Scotland. Early in the fifties, he emigrated with his parents to Victoria, and received his primary education under Mr. John Main, late Victorian Secretary for Education. Mr. Scott crossed over to Dunedin in 1863, and resided in various parts of the Otago, West Coast, and subsequently Auckland goldfields. In May, 1879, he entered the service of the Auckland Board of Education, and, qualifying as a teacher, was shortly afterwards appointed headmaster at Matakana, where he remained three years. In December, 1882, he became headmaster of the Avondale school, and retained that position until May, 1894, when he was promoted to Parnell. Under its present management, the school has been enlarged by the erection of a separate infants' school of modern design. Mr. Scott has attended the University lectures in mathematics, chemistry, and geology and agricultural science, and holds certificates in these subjects He also holds a D' certificate under the Education Department. Mr. Scott takes interest in athletic sports, and is a member of the Auckland Bowling Club.
Mr. J. L. Scott.
St. Mary's Cathedral, Parnell. The first church in Parnell, dedicated to St. Mary, was built in 1863, and the late Venerable Archdeacon Kissling was the first incumbent. On his death, Bishop Selwyn took charge of the parish, assisted by the Rev. J. C. Patteson, afterwards Bishop of Melanesia, and the Rev. B. T. Dudley, afterwards Archdeacon of Auckland. The next incumbent was the Venerable Archdeacon Maunsell, under whom the building was repeatedly enlarged. The Rev. G. Walpole, D.D., now Warden of St. Bede's College, Durham, succeeded, and in his time a proposal was made to build a new church. Plans were made by Mr. Mountfort, of Christchurch, well known as a church architect of great ability, but, unfortunately, only half the building was then erected—namely, the choir and a small portion of the nave. The Rev. George Preston. M.A., was incumbent for a short time, and was succeeded by the Rev. George MacMurray, M.A., Canon of Ballarat Cathedral. Under his auspices the designs of Mr. Mountfort were carried out. The total length is 158 feet, the nave is 32 feet broad, and two side aisles are each 12 1/2 feet; the total height from floor to ridge is 48 feet. The pulpit and screen are handsome, and were the gift of Mr. M. J. Gay, of Parnell.
The Rev. George MacMurray, M.A., Canon and Vicar of St. Mary's Cathedral, Auckland, was born in County Donegal, Ireland, on the 13th of August, 1855. He was educated at Trinity College, Dublin, and graduated as a Respondent in the B.A. Examination, subsequently taking the degree of M.A. He was ordained as deacon in 1878 by the Right Reverend Dr. Darley, Bishop of Kilmore, for the curacy of Aughrim-cum-Killukin, and was subsequently admitted to the priesthood in 1879, and transferred to the curacy of Cavan in 1880. In 1883 Mr. MacMurray was appointed rector of Killinagh and rural dean. He left Ireland in 1885, and was appointed to Ararat, in the diocese of Ballarat, page 513 Australia. In 1887 he accepted the appointment of vicar of St. Paul's, Ballarat, and was elected canon of the cathedral. He retained those positions until 1892, when he was appointed vicar of St. Mary's Cathedral, Parnell, Auckland. During his ministry at St. Mary's, he has been instrumental in completing the cathedral, and building the parish hall adjoining the church, besides paying off the original church debt. Quite recently, with the view of completing the cathedral, his congregation raised one of the largest Sunday collections ever made in the province of Auckland. Mr. MacMurray is a great supporter of all athletic pursuits, and has set himself strongly against the gambling element which prevails so largely in New Zealand. He is a Governor of St. John's College, Tamaki, and a trustee of the Dilworth Ulster Institute, an institution founded by the late James Dilworth for the education of boys born in the Auckland province, and in Ulster; and he is also a member of the General Trust Board for the Diocese of Auckland, and a representative of the clergy in the General Synod. He was formally installed Canon of St. Mary's Cathedral, Parnell, on the 3rd of July, 1901.
Knox Church, Parnell. The history of this congregation is well-known to the people of Auckland. It began its career in the Oddfellows' Hall in April, 1898, and progressed so rapidly that in September, 1899, Knox Church itself was opened for public worship. The artistic internal arrangement of the building wins the admiration of all who see it, one of its features being the position of the choir gallery, the members of which are visible to the whole congregation; which possesses what is unique in the Presbyterian Church of New Zealand—namely, a large body of choristers, whose fresh young voices render valuable service in praise. The choir, which has upwards of fifly voices, is conducted by Mr. J. F. Bennett. The church has a fine two-manual organ, of seventeen stops, two of which are reeds. It is a well-built instrument, by Hill and Sons, of London. There is a staff of eight elders and fifteen managers; Knox Church has no pew rents, uses the sanitary communion cups, and in general keeps itself abreast of modern ideas. The pastor, the Rev. H. Kelly, M.A., who was formerly stationed at Waimate, in Canterbury, entered on the charge at Parnell in 1893, and is earnestly supported in his labours by his office bearers. Mr. Kelly aims at making the Bible a book for the times, and at bringing young men under Christian influence.
Rev. H. Kelly.
St. John The Baptist's Roman Catholic Church, Parnell, is administered by the Rev. Father Joseph Kehoe. The church, which is situated on the Manukau Road, in the centre of Parnell, was built in 1860, and enlarged to its present size in 1897. As a wooden building, with a rather plain exterior, it might escape the attention of visitors, but this lack of external beauty is more than made up for in the interior. The altar is beautifully furnished, and behind it, on the eastern wall, there is a large fresco painting, representing The Transfiguration, in which the figures are almost life size. On either side are oil paintings representing The Trinity and The Nativity. Herr Dittmer, the artist, has put forth all his skill in this work, and has been eminently successful. The church is usually decorated with flowers, with beautiful arum lilies to enhance the effect, and it has often been spoken of as being one of the prettiest little churches in the Colony. It has seats for 500 worshippers, and the choir occupies a gallery over the western part of the church. Miss Annie Lorrigan conducts the choir, and Miss Anderson is the organist. There is a small private chapel for the Sisters, leading off from the altar; and adjacent to the church, in a separate building, is the school of the Sisters of Mercy, which is attended by over 100 scholars.
The Rev. Father Joseph Kehoe, Administrator of St. John the Baptist's Church, Parnell, was born in County Carlow, Ireland, in 1841. He was educated at Mount Meleray, County Waterford, and at Rome, and laboured in both home and foreign missions for about thirty years. Father Kehoe was ordained at Rome as priest by Cardinal Patrinizzi, and proceeded thence to Australia, where he officiated in the archdiocese of Adelaide. He then removed to the diocese of Auckland and has ministered at St. Patrick's Cathedral, Auckland, Kaipara, Gisborne, and other places. Father Kehoe succeeded Dr. Lenihan, the present popular Bishop of the diocose, as administrator of St. John's, and has already endeared himself to his flock. He is very musical, and holds very liberal views upon the religious and political questions of the day.
Professional, Commercial and Industrial.
Brook, Charles John, Builder and Contractor, Hobson Bay Road, Parnell. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Mr. Brook is one of the best known builders in Auckland, where he has carried on business for upwards of twenty years. He was born in London in 1844. In 1859 he came to New Zealand in company with his parents, and till the year 1866 followed a seafaring life. In that year he settled in London, where he served his time as a builder, and came back to Auckland in 1870. For several years thereafter he was engaged in agricultural pursuits. It was during his farming experiences that Mr. Brook became connected with local affairs, and acted in numerous capacities. He was for several years a member of the Manukau County Council; chairman of the licensing bench; member of the school committee, and also engineer to the Awhitu Road Board. Mr. Brook is at present a member of the Parnell Borough Council. Among the buildings erected by him, may be mentioned Wesley church at Waiuku, St. Mary's Sunday school at Parnell, and a large number of private residences in the city and suburban districts. Mr. Brook married a daughter of the late Mr. George Shaw, the well-known builder of London, and he has four sons and five daughters.
Mr. C. J. Brook.
Tapper, J. and C ., Painters, Paperhangers, Oil and Colour Dealers, Manukau Road, Parnell. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Bath Street, Parnell. This flourishing business was established by Messrs Tapper Bros. about nine years ago, and since its inception has received a fair share of public support. Both brothers are well qualified for their business and take great pains with any work which may be entrusted to them. The premises are well situated in the Manukau Road, and are in the busiest part of the suburb of Parnell. Only the best materials are kept in stock, and the brothers carry on a large and increasing business in the city and surrounding districts.
Mr. J. Tapper, the Senior Member of the firm, was born in Auckland in 1863, and received his education under Mr. Taylor. On its completion he was appronticed to the wellknown painter and paperhanger, Mr. J. C. Robinson, of Ponsonby, from whom he received complete instruction in the various branches of his business. His brother, who is also an Aucklander by birth, served his time with Messrs C. G. Hill and Co. Both brothers show a keen interest in matters of sport, and have taken their part in everything of interest to the public. Mr. James Tapper is a member of the Fountain of Friendship Lodge of Auckland.
Hogan, John, Tailor, Manukau Road, Parnell. This business was established in January, 1897, and has already assumed extensive proportions. A full stock of all tweeds, worsteds, etc., is kept on the premises, and customers may rely on a good selection. Mr. Hogan is well patronised not only by residents of the city and suburbs, but also by the settlers of the surrounding country. He is a son of Mr. W. Hogan, the well-known shipowner, of Auckland, and was educated at the Marist Brothers' School, Auckland, and at the Parnell public school. He learned the art of cutting from experienced English cutters, and worked in several of the leading Auckland establishments prior to establishing his present business. Mr Hogan is a member of the St. George Rowing Club. He is also a cyclist, and was for some years a prominent footballer.
Reid, Mrs. Martha W., Wholesale and Retail Fish and Oyster Dealer, Parnell. This business was established by the proprietress in 1891. The trade carried on is mainly wholesale, and Mrs Reid supplies many of the smaller shops in Auckland and suburbs. Mrs Reid attends personally to the business, and is ably assisted by her sons.
Reid, William, Fishcurer, Mechanics' Bay, Parnell. Mr. Reid was born at Peterhead, Scotland, in 1849, and went to sea at the page 515 age of fourteen. Up till 1880 his time was spent in the coasting trade, but in that year he went on a whaling expedition to the Far North. Mr. Reid made eight annual trips, and is credited with having, on one occasion found the second store of provisions that had been placed in readiness for the celebrated Arctic explorer, Sir John Franklin. That was in the year 1882, when three ships were frozen up, and had to be left by their companies. Mr. Reid was on the “Esquimaux,” under Captain Yule, for four years, for two years on the “Mizante,” under Captain John Grey, and for two years on the “Labrador,” under Captain David Grey. The territory explored was well up among “Greenland's Icy Mountains” and Lancaster Sound. Mr. Reid then returned Home, and spent nearly three years in fishing off the coast of Peterhead, the Shetland Islands, and as far south as Scarborough. In 1891 he landed at Wellington, New Zealand, by the ship “Kaikoura,” and moved on to Auckland. He lost no time in starting in the fishing industry, and purchased the six ton schooner “Ellen and Martha,” and a smaller fishing smack, the “Rainbow.”
McIndoe, William, St. Stephen's Nursery, St. Stephen's Road, Parnell. Established in 1880. This nursery, which comprises three and a half acres of land, is planted with a fine assortment of nursery stock, fruit trees, hardy shrubs, etc. Mr. McIndoe imports largely, and is constantly receiving trees and bulbs from the leading firms of England and America. He makes a specialty of Californian roses, and is a large exhibitor at the local flower shows. There is a fine flower garden adjoining the nursery, and Mr. McIndoe usually has 300 varieties of dahlias in bloom each season. Mr McIndoe was born and educated in Glasgow, and was brought up to the business in Scotland and England. He was for some time head gardener at the mansion of Grangewood, Upper Norwood, and after varied experiences in England and Ireland, he left his native country for New Zealand in 1865 by the ship “Empress,” which landed him at Auckland, where he entered the employment of the late Mr. Edward King. Mr. McIndoe also had charge of Dr. Fischer's grounds at Lake Takapuna, for two years and a half. In 1867 he went to the Thames goldfields, but returned to Auckland eighteen months later, and entered the employment of Mr. Reader Wood, for whom he was gardener for eight years. He commenced business at St. Stephen's nursery in 1880. Mr. McIndoe is a member of the committee of the Auckland Horticultural Society, and on the many occasions in which he has acted as judge at the local flower shows, his awards have always given satisfaction.
Mr. W. McIndoe.
Martin, James, Livery and Bait Stable-keeper, Omnibus and Cab Proprietor, Manukau Road, Parnell. Telephone 472. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Russell Street, Parnell. This fine business was established in 1881 by Mr. Martin, who has, by the exercise of sterling commercial qualities, combined with energy, shrewdness, and wise thrift, brought it to its present prosperous condition. Mr. Martin has a large and capital staff of employees, to whom he pays good wages, amounting in all to £260 per month. The establishment covers an extensive area of land, and the buildings, which are rather imposing, form a conspicuous landmark in Parnell. Mr. George Fowler was the architect, and Messrs Gedye and Calver were the builders. Mr. Martin has 150 horses and fifty-one vehicles at his establishment. His well-known lines of 'buses, plying between Auckland and Parnell, and Auckland and Grafton Road, are noted for all that can be desired in the matter of drivers, horses, and vehicles. His cabs meet every principal steamer and train, and the words, “Martin, Parnell,” are conspicuously painted on the door panels. The best private carriages, properly equipped, can be hired from Mr. Martin's stables, where landaus, hansoms, hearses, mourning coaches, wedding carriages (fully dressed), double-hooded and single buggies, waggonettes, brakes for picnic parties, and, in fact, every modern vehicle now built can be obtained. The vehicles are all kept in thorough order, and have good and courteous drivers. Mr. Martin is a native of Melbourne, Australia, and arrived in New Zealand in the steamer “City of Auckland,” in 1872.
Hanna, photo. Mr. J. Martin.
Mr. John McElwain, J.P., Rocky Nook, Auckland, was born at Killan House, Ballymascanlan, County Louth, in 1822. He was educated in Dublin, and was in the Government service in the county of Louth until he was about the age of twenty-six years. Attracted by the accounts from New Zealand he left his native country by the ship “Pekin,” and landed at Port Chalmers in 1848. Mr. McElwain went on to Auckland, where he joined the service of the Government, and remained in it for two years, and afterwards entered a merchant's office. After two years' experience there he turned his attention to farming, and purchased fifty-five acres of land at Kingsland. His brother, the late Mr. George McElwain, presented him with sixty acres, and so he entered on his new calling with every assurance of success. For over sixteen years he carried on farming with great prosperity. He then sold his land, and bought his present property at Mount Roskill where he has since led a life of ease and comfort. Mr McElwain has devoted both time and energy to the public affairs of the district, and was for ten years chairman of the Waitakerei Road Board, and one of the first members of the original Mount Albert Road Board, on which he served for twenty years. He has been a constant worker in the cause of education, and was chairman of the school committee during the years of his residence in the Mount Albert district; he presented the board with the acre of land on which the school now stands. Mr. McElwain has been a Justice of the Peace for over thirty years. Throughout the whole of his career he has been ably helped by Mrs McElwain, who is a daughter of the late Rev. John Whitley, whose murder at the White Cliffs by the Maoris, in the early days of colonisation, is a melancholy historical fact known to all pioneer colonists. Of Mr. and Mrs McElwain's family, three sons and two daughters are alive. Two of the sons are farming—one at Waiuku, and the other at Waitakerei, and the eldest daughter married Mr. H. H. Seabrook, the well-known manufacturer, of Grafton Road. Mr. McElwain's brother, Mr. G. McElwain, was the first Governor of Auckland Gaol, and was appointed to the position by Captain Hobson, the first Governor of New Zealand.