The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Hotels, Boardinghouses, Etc
Hotels, Boardinghouses, Etc.
Including—Hotels, Boardinghouses and Private Hotels.
Grosvenor Hotel (Alexander Schultze, proprietor), Hobson Street, Auckland. This commodious hotel, long known as the “Governor Browne,” was erected in 1888, on a site which commands unsurpassed views of the Auckland harbour and wharves. Since its establishment the hotel has been in various hands, but in none more capable than those of its present proprietor, who, since taking charge, has so completely renovated the entire building, that the hotel is now one of the most comfortable and attractive in the city. The house contains thirty rooms, including twenty bedrooms, a spacious and brilliantly lighted billiard room, a large dining room, two neatly arranged sitting rooms, and several smaller rooms, where the visitor can find privacy and quietude. Two fine pianos are kept on the premises, and the bathrooms are supplied with hot and cold water and showers. The management is excellent, and no pains are spared to make guests comfortable and to meet all their requirements.
Mr. Alexander Schultze, Proprietor of the Grosvenor Hotel, is a son of the late Mr. Henry Schultze, of Wellington, and was born in Forth Street, North Leith, Scotland, in 1844. He went to Australia with his parents in 1850, and after five years in Victoria came to New Zealand, landing in Wellington, where he followed various commercial pursuits till on going to Auckland, 1883, he took page 363 over the Northcote Hotel, and afterwards conducted hotels in various parts of the Wellington province Mr. Schultze again left Wellington, intending to go to Sydney, but decided to remain in Auckland, where he had different hotels for a period of about ten years. Early in 1897 he went to Hikurangi and took over the hotel there, and in May, 1900, he became proprietor of the “Grosvenor.” Mr. Schultze was married in 1893, and has one son and two daughters.
Mr. A. Schultze.
Naval And Family Hotel (Robert Fawcett, proprietor), corner of Pitt Street and Karangahape Road, Auckland. The Naval and Family Hotel, as taken over by Mr. Fawcett in 1895, was a large wooden building. This, however, was destroyed by fire in 1897, when the present large brick establishment was built on the site.
Royal Mail Hotel (Robert Scott, proprietor), Victoria Street, Auckland. This hotel is one of the most popular and best frequented in the city of Auckland. It offers excellent accommodation for visitors, and its cookery and liquors are of the best. In consequence of its popularity it was found necessary to increase the accommodation, and at present (June, 1901) an additional storey over the entire building is in process of construction, and is to be surmounted by an imposing tower. The main entrance, 20 feet wide, is to be under a spacious balcony, and when the additions are completed, the “Royal Mail” will rank among the leading hotels of the North Island. It will contain sixty-five well-ventilated bedrooms (exclusive of those used by the family), twelve beautifully-furnished sitting rooms, piano and smoking rooms, and twelve hot and cold water bathrooms, tiled throughout. The commercial room is being specially fitted up and adapted for the use of commercial travellers; and this room is always provided with all the latest periodicals and a good collection of standard and other works. There is also a large, well-appointed billiard room, and excellent sample rooms for commercial travellers. Besides the public bar there are two private bars, and these have been considerably improved since Mr. Scott became proprietor, and are comfortable, taste-fully-furnished apartments. The hotel will be lighted throughout with electric light, and it is well provided with fire escapes. By arrangements made with two livery stables, guests of the hotel can be provided with vehicles and horses at any moment. A night porter is always in attendance, and an express from the hotel meets all boats and trains. Mr. Scott is assisted in his business by Mrs Scott, who is very popular.
Mr. Robert Scott, Proprietor of the Royal Mail Hotel, was born near the town of Omagh, County Tyrone, Ireland, where he received his early education. At the age of fourteen he was placed in a large mercantile house in Dublin, where he remained until the term of his apprenticeship expired. He was then appointed buyer for the firm, and his transactions were conducted principally in London. In 1878 he decided to leave the Old Country for New Zealand, and shortly after his arrival here was engaged by one of the largest mercantile firms in the Colony. In 1888 he went to Sydney, and followed a mercantile life there and in Melbourne for about three years, but returned to New Zealand in page 364 1891 as the representative of five of the largest manufacturing firms in Great Britain. His business necessitated his travelling throughout the Colony, and during the four years he retained the position he formed a large circle of acquaintances and personal friends. In 1895, he retired from commercial life, and took over the Royal Mail Hotel, which he has spared neither trouble nor expense to make a popular house. That he has been successful in every way is proved by the many complimentary letters he has received from his patrons, and also by the fact that the “Royal Mail” has the reputation of never losing a customer.
Thames Hotel (Mrs E. Luks, proprietress), Queen Street, Auckland. Mrs Luks is the widow of ex-Councillor Luks, of whom a notice appears on another page. She was born in Liverpool, educated at Knowsley, and emigrated to Melbourne by the ship “Atalanta,” about 1860. Prior to her marriage to Mr. Luks at Castlemaine, Victoria, in 1863, she managed a store on the goldfields, and she afterwards kept stores at Macrae's Flat, Otago, and at Tokatea, Coromandel, besides being associated with her husband in the management of the White Horse Hotel, Hokitika, the Court House Hotel, Thames, and the Victoria Hotel, Auckland.
“Glenalvon,” Private Hotel, Symonds Street, Auckland, is one of the finest establishments of its kind in Auckland, and is admirably adapted for a first-class private residence for families, ladies, and gentlemen. There are thirty most comfortably-furnished rooms; everything has been done to make the house complete in every detail, and the comfort of the visitors is the first consideration. Situated in the centre of the city, and distant only ten minutes' walk from the Post Office, “Glenalvon” is, nevertheless, surrounded by six acres of private grounds, comprising fruit and flower gardens, fernery, tennis lawn and native shrubbery, always full of charm, and furnishing, in summer, a cool retreat. Being hidden from the street by a belt of trees, it combines all the advantages of a retired country residence with the conveniences of a central city establishment. The views from the house, especially of the harbour, are very fine. To all in search of high class accommodation, “Glenalvon” recommends itself. It is an ideal spot for ladies, for whom the extensive grounds constitute a great attraction. The cars and 'buses for the suburbs pass the entrance gates every few minutes.
“Sonoma,” Alfred Street, off Princes Street, Auckland. This is one of the most comfortable and conveniently-situated boarding-houses in Auckland. It commands a most enchanting view of the Waitemata harbour, and of the Government House grounds. As it is within a few minutes' walk of Queen Street, and is situated in one of the healthiest and most fashionable parts of the city, “Sonoma” has naturally gained for itself a name which is thoroughly justified by its management and environment. The house contains twenty bedrooms, some of which open out to a wide balcony, whence the guests obtain views which add in no small degree to the attractiveness of the place. “Sonoma” also has a large dining-room, a drawing-room, and a lounge and smoking-room, all fitted up and arranged with the comfort and refinement which characterise the whole establishment.