The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Including—Billiard Table Manufacturers; Cabinet Makers and Upholsterers; Furniture Warehousemen; Undertakers.
Barton, Mcgill and Co., Billiard and Bagatelle Table Manufacturers, 422, Upper Queen Street, Auckland. This flourishing business was established in 1893 by Messrs Barton and McGill and may be justly regarded as being an important industry. Messrs Barton, McGill and Co., make a point of using colonial woods in the manufacture of their tables, and find them answer most satisfactorily. The woods used in the construction are rimu, and totara, and they also import large quantities of Australian hardwood and cedarwood. Their slate comes direct from the quarries of Bangor in Wales, and is worked into shapes by themselves. The wood is kept in stock for at least three years before being used. Messrs Barton and McGill have a patent cushion of their own invention, for which exceptional advantages are claimed. They are the makers of the celebrated patent elevated billiard lever table, which is both cheap and ingenious. The composite dining and billiard tables are made in first-class style by the firm, which can be relied on to turn out really good work, as both partners are experts in their business. It was a table of their make that secured the gold medal at the last Auckland Exhibition, and it was on this table that the Australian champion made his unfinished break of 573. Mr. McGill learned his trade as a billiard-table maker in Melbourne. In the firm's patent table it is elevated by turning a handle, when the billiard table is found to be fitted up and ready for immediate use; when it is required as a dining table, all that has to be done is to turn back the handle. A large stock of sundries, billiard balls, etc., by the best makers is kept by the firm. Messrs Barton, McGill and Co. are rapidly making their way with the Auckland public, and they certainly deserve support.
George Bros. (W. H. George and J. R. George), Cabinetmakers and Upholsterers, Swanson Street, Auckland. This business is carried on in a two-storey brick building. The firm has made a name for itself by turning out a thoroughly good article, and having a complete up-to-date plant, it can execute high-class work in every branch. As a rule four hands are employed, but at busy times considerably more are kept going.
Mr. W. H. George is a native of Auckland, and after receiving his education was apprenticed to Messrs T. and H. Cooke for five years. He was subsequently for about five years with Messrs Winks and Hall, with whom he gained further experience. In 1883 he commenced business in Shortland Street, in partnership with his brother, and two or three years ago the firm removed to its present address.
Mr. J. R. George was born in Auckland, and was with Messrs Winks and Hall for nine years, at the end of which he left them to join his brother.
Hanna, photo. Mr. C. Little.
Tonson Garlick Company, Ltd., Cabinetmakers, Upholsterers, House and General Furnishers, Queen and Lorne Streets, Auckland. This extensive and flourishing business was established in 1876 by Mr. E. Holloway and the late Mr. J. Tonson Garlick. In the following year Mr. Robert Cranwell was taken into partnership, and the business was for about a year carried on under the style of Holloway, Garlick, and Cranwell. Mr. Holloway's interest was then purchased by his partners and his name was omitted, and for many years the firm of Garlick and Cranwell was one of the best known in the city. The business grew rapidly and the premises were several times increased in size. All the buildings between Queen Street and Lorne Street were appropriated, giving a frontage of 34 feet and a depth of 165 feet, with basement and upper stories. In course of time the large three-storey concrete building on the upper side of Lorne Street was erected and fitted with all the latest woodware machinery and other labour-saving appliances. This building alone contains 15,000 square feet of floorage, the frontage to Lorne Street being 100 feet. Elaborate and expensive catalogues with artistic illustrations have from time to time been issued, setting forth the many improvements and additions made since the preceding publication. In 1892 the late Mr. Garlick purchased the interest of his partner, and during the ensuing four years succeeded in doubling the returns of the business. This increase necessitating greater accommodation, Mr. Garlick purchased the adjoining premises, which for about thirty years previously had been the ironmongery store of Messrs J. and J. Dickey. The purchase of these premises and the alterations necessary to make the whole suitable to the business cost about £10,000, but Mr. Garlick was determined to have the finest display as well as the finest stock in the city, and neither expense nor trouble was spared to attain that object. This accomplished, a limited liability company was floated, with Mr. Garlick as managing director; but the smooth running of the business was for a time interrupted by a very disastrous fire which occurred on the 17th of September, 1897. The sympathy of the public with the company in this disaster was shown in the success of the great salvage sale, from which hundreds of persons were daily excluded. The restoration of the damaged premises occupied considerable time, but the concrete factory being untouched by the fire, no interruption in the manufacturing departments was occasioned, and with as little lost time as possible a complete reinstatement was accomplished. The carpets, linoleums and other floor coverings are all on the ground floor, and great facilities for inspection are provided. Furniture of all kinds made of the rich New Zealand woods, solid or veneered, is turned out in great quantities for drawing-rooms, dining-rooms, bedrooms, halls and offices, churches and public buildings. The manufacture of billiard tables is a branch recently added, and all the work in this department is carefully supervised by a thoroughly trained and experienced man. By means of a winding patent a combined billiard and dining-table has been most successfully devised. In the splendid new showroom for upholstered goods every variety of suites, occasional chairs and other articles is to be seen; and in the enlarged furnishing drapery show-room there are large assortments of curtains, table covers, muslins, sheetings, blankets, quilts, toilet-covers, tapestries, plushes, velvets, upholstering trimmings, Manchester goods, etc. Some idea of the immense stocks held by the firm may be gained from the fact that from 1000 to 1500 bedsteads are on hand. Woven-wire mattresses of every kind are manufactured on the premises.
The Late Mr. J. T. Garlick.