The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Decorators, Oil and Colour Dealers
Decorators, Oil and Colour Dealers.
Inclucing [sic: Including]—Artists' Colourmen, Gilders, Decorators, Fine Art Dealer, Glaziers, Oil and Colour Dealers, Painters and Paperhangers, Picture Framers.
Bennett, Matthew John, Oil and Colourman, Signwriter and General Decorator, 191–193, Karangahape Road, Auckland. Telephone, 936. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand, Newton Branch. Mr Bennett was born in London in 1861, and come to New Zealand, with his parents in the ship “Ironsides,” which landed at Auckland on the 21st of August, 1864. After receiving his education under the late Mr W. J. Addey, he served an apprenticeship with his father, who was in business in Freeman's Bay. After the death of his father, in 1885, he removed the business to Ponsonby Road, where for ten years he carried on a large and steadily increasing trade. In 1896 he removed to his present warehouse in Karangahape Road, where he has two large two-storied brick shops. With energy and steady perseverance Mr. Bennett has succeeded in working up a flourishing business, and specimens of his workmanship may be seen throughout the city of Auckland and the Waikato. Nearly all the contracts for the Harbour Board, City Council, the Auckland Hospital, Prince Albert College, Great Northern Company, Messrs Hancock and Co., P. Hayman and Co., L. D. Nathan, and he has painted and decorated many buildings for all the leading architects and buildings of Auckland. He keeps a staff of thirteen men constantly employed, and has specialties in every branch of the trade. Mr. Bennett imports direct from the leading manufacturers, and keeps a very extensive stock of white lead, oils, scrims, varnishes, window glass, all trade requisites, and the latest designs in wall papers and picture-moundlings, which are sold at the lowest possible prices. Signwritingand picture-framing are leading branches of the business. Mr. Bennett is treasurer of the Auckland Guild of Master Painters, in the formation of which he took an active part. He is one of the oldest members of Lodge Ponsonby No. 708, S.C., of which he is a Past Master. He was also Provincial Grand Senior Warden of the Grand Ledge for the North Island of New Zealand, S.C., and is a Mark Master Mason, a Royal Arch Mason now holding the office of H., and a member of the Southern Cross Chapter of Sovereign Princes, Rose Croix of H.R.D.M., No. 88. Mr. Bennett is also a Past Grand of Star of Eden Lodge, No. 54, Independent Order of Oddfellows, American Constitution. He takes a great interest in outdoor sport, and has been an honorary member of the Auckland Cycling Club since its commencement, and is member of the Old Chums and School-fellows' Association. Mr. Bennett was married in 1884 to the second daughter of the late Mr. James Lipsett, of Donegal, Ireland, and Mrs Bennett takes an active part in the retail branch of her husband's extensive business.
Mr. M. J. Bennett
Fricker And Sons, Signwriters, Decorators, House and Ship-painters, Picton Street, Ponsonby. This is one of the oldest businesses of its kind in Auckland, having been inaugurated by Mr. Fricker, senior, in 1863. Mr. Frickor's sons, Edmund Osborne, Walter Hampton, Charles Robert, Frederick William and Harry Ernest, are engaged in their father's business. All the members of the firm are well known and popular in the Auckland district, and are, therefore, always kept busy.
Mr. Walter Fricker, the founder of the firm, was born in Somerset, England, in 1841, and received his education at Frome. Somerset. He learned his traue with his uncles, Messrs E. and J. Fricker, of Road, England, and after nine years of service with them, came to New Zealand in 1863, by the ship “Queen of the Mersey.” He established himself at Parnell, and subsequently moved to the Thames, where he carried on a successful business for seventeen years, but returned to Auckland fourteen years ago and founded present business. Mr. Fricker is a great pigeon fancier, and to him belongs the credit of initiating the pigeon service from the Great page 347 Barrier to Auckland. There being no telegraphic communication between the Barrier and the city, this pigeon service is invaluable. Birds also have been trained from Auckland to the Island, and the circuit of communication thus made complete. There is a large number of valuable birds in Mr. Fricker's loft, and he has secured prizes at various exhibitions, including the ten Guinea Cup at the 1897 Champion Show for the best working homer. Mr. Fricker is treasurer of Lodge Ponsonby, 708, S C., and was one of the founders of the Pride of Parnell Court, A.O.F., 1864. He is also a member of the city schools committee, and vice-president of the Auckland Poultry and Canary Association.
Hansen, Carl C., House, Ship and General Decorative Painter, Signwriter, Gilder, etc., 96 Upper Symonds Street, Auckland. Mr. Hansen is a native of Holstein, Germany, and was born in the year 1846. After receiving his education, he was apprenticed to Mr. W. Netzow, of Neumunster, for four years. He arrived in Australia by the ship “La Rochelle,” in 1864, and after one year's experience in Brisbane, Queensland, came to the Hokitika goldfields, where he met with fair success. In 1868, he joined the armed constabulary, and was wounded during active service in the Uriwera. On receiving his discharge at Lake Taupo, he came to Auckland and commenced working at his trade. Mr. Hansen was for ten years with Mr. Henderson, the greater part of the time as foreman, and in 1884 commenced business on his own account. He first opened in Grey Street, and afterwards removed to Karangahape Road. After being there for about a year, he left for Melbourne, where he was in business in Clarendon Street for six years. Six years ago, Mr. Hansen returned to the Colony, and recommenced buiness at his present address, and being a first-class tradesman, he has been successful in working up a good and increasing connection. Many fine specimens of Mr. Hansen's handiwork may be found about the city, and the decoration of his own shop is an excellent example. Several experienced hands are employed, and a full stock of oil, colours, paperhangings, and all painters' materials is kept. The shop covers a floorage space of about 850 square feet, and has two attractive windows. Mr Hansen has executed many large contracts in Auckland, and his work has always given the highest satisfaction.
Hanna, photo. Mr. C. C. Hansen.
Henderson, John, Painter, etc., High Street, Auckland. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Curran Street, Ponsonby.
Mr. A. H. Morris's Premises.
Phillipps, W., And Son (John Phillipps and Frank Phillipps), Colour Merchants, 155 Queen Street, Auckland. This business dates from 1854, when it was established by the late Mr. William Phillipps and his son John; since the death of Mr. William Phillipps it has been carried on by his two sons, John and Frank. The firm deals in painters' supplies, paperhangings, plate glass, artists' requisites, etc., and has the most extensive connection in the trade in the Auckland province.
Mr. John Phillipps was born in Birmingham in 1863. He left Home in 1849, for California, by the first vessel which sailed from Liverpool for the diggings. In 1852 he sailed for Melbourne in the “Ceres,” and had as a fellow passenger Mr. C. E. Ring, afterwards the discoverer of gold at Coromandel. The “Ceres” was wrecked about seventy miles from Fiji, and the survivors were brought on to New Zealand by the whaler “Daniel Watson.” Mr. Phillipps remained in New Zealand for a short time, and then went to Sydney, where he was joined by his father, with whom he proceeded to Auckland, in 1854, and established the business which has since become so well known. Mrs. Phillipps, who recently died, was a Miss White, and left six sons and two daughters.
Simpson, Duncan Mcgregor, Painter, Paperhanger, Picture Framer, etc., Karangahape Road, Auckland. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand, Newton branch. Mr. Simpson was born in Glasgow in 1859, and was apprenticed to Messrs G. J. and G. Raye, leading decorators, oil and colour dealers, of Glasgow, and after leaving them was for ten years with Messrs McKenzie and Mouchr, builders and engineers. During this time Mr. Simpson gained considerable experience, as much of his time was spent in travelling for the firm through England, Ireland, and Scotland. In 1886 he came to New Zealand in the ship “Alaska,” and twelve months after his arrival in Auckland, commenced business on his own account in North Street. He removed to his present address in 1889, and so successful has he been that he has found it necessary to enlarge his premises. Mr. Simpson has a very attractive and complete stock of wall papers, paints, oils, colours, mouldings, etc., and anything pertaining to the painting trade may le obtained from him. The shop covers a floorage space of about 500 square feet.