The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Morton, John Carnduff
Morton, John Carnduff, Photographer, the Balmoral Studio, Karangahape Road, Auckland. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Morton is a native of Edinburgh, Scotland, and was brought up to the business of manufacturing photographic apparatus. He studied the art of photography in order to gain full technical knowledge, and was in business near Edinburgh for twelve months before leaving for New Zealand. He arrived in the colony by the s.s. “Orient,” via Melbourne, in 1881, and for two years was assistant to Mr. Morris in Dunedin. For seven years subsequently he was manager and operator for Mr. Josiah Martin in Auckland. The present business has been successfully carried on by Mr. Morton since 1891. His premises are three stories in height, and are built in brick, with cement facings. The ground floor has a large and commedious showroom, with a large room at the back, and the first floor upstairs contains a beautifully-lighted studio, 40 feet by 20 feet. There are also three well-appointed dressing-rooms. There is a complete suite of lofty, airy, and well-lighted workrooms on the top floor. Mr Morton makes a specialty of enlargements in bromide and on opal; he was, in fact, one of the first to do this class of work in Dunedin. He has erected a branch studio at his private residence, Glenmore House, New North Road, specially fitted for bridal parties.