The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Municipal, Professional, Commercial and Trade Societies
Municipal, Professional, Commercial and Trade Societies.
Many organised bodies which have not the public interest professedly in view, yet subserve that interest because those they exist to promote have a beneficial bearing upon it. This is the case with many trade and other societies, whose object is the maintenance of justice or efficiency amongst their members and within the sphere of the trades, employments or functions they represent, and hence it is right that such bodies should find a place in this Cyclopedia. In furtherance of this view, this section has been prepared, and made as complete as possible in the matter of information bearing upon the objects of the various societies.
New Zealand Accountants' and Auditors' Association (Registered), 42, Queen Street (Alex, Aitken, Ltd.), Auckland. Officers: Mr. Alex, Stuart Russell, president; Mr. J. Henry Mackie, registrar.
The New Zealand Railway Officers' Institute, Auckland Branch. The objects of the Institute are to promote the general welfare of its members by any means not inconsistent with the Railway Regulations; to foster a feeling of unity and good fellowship; and to take, on any other matter such action as the Executive Council may consider advisable. The Auckland branch was founded in November, 1894. Mr. F. W. Styles is chairman, and Mr. L. C. E. Hamann, secretary.
The Auckland Institute Of Architects was founded in 1880 for the purpose of advancing the best interests of the profession. The members of the institute must be architects by profession. The entrance fee is £2 2s, and the annual suoscription £1 1s. Mr. R. W. Keals is president; Mr. E. Bartley, vice-president; Mr. H. Wade, secretary; and Mr. T. Mahoney, treasurer. The council consists of the officers and Messrs E. Bell, R. M. Watt, and C. Arnold.
The Auckland Chamber Of Commerce was established in the year 1871, and the first president, Mr. G. Von der Hyde, retained the position till 1874. The history of New Zealand Chambers of Commerce has not been of the happiest description, and in this respect that of the Auckland Chamber is not an exception to the rule. Active at its ininuation, it remained so for a few years, and then gradually sank lower and lower until its usefulness was very limited. In 1894 a determined effort was made to revive the Chamber, and since then it has continued to assert itself, and is now fulfilling all the functions of such institutions. It sent delegates to the Congress of Chambers of Commerce of the Empire, held in London, and to the Conference held in Philadelphia during 1899. The delegates sent to the London Congress held in June, 1900, were Messrs C. C. McMillan, A. M. Myers, and C. C. Brown-Douglas. The Chamber, under its president, Mr. B. Kent, initiated the Auckland Industrial and Mining Exhibition of 1897–98. The success of the exhibition resulted in a handsome surplus, which fell to the Chamber, by an arrangement made at the time of its inception. The Chamber at present carries on its official work in Victoria Arcade, and its full Chamber meetings in larger hired halls—a very unsatisfactory state of affairs, which the present Council is endeavouring to remedy by obtaining a freehold building or other suitable place of meeting. The Chamber is non-political, and gives its entire attention to the requirements called for in true keeping with its name. The following gentlemen have been its presidents: G. Von der Hyde, 1871–74; J. L. Campbell, 1875; A. Heather, 1877; J. C. Firth, 1878; J. M. Clark, 1879; T. Morrin, 1880; C. C. McMillan, 1881; J. L. Campbell, 1882; L. D. Nathan, 1883; John Reid, 1884; G. Aickin, 1885; J. Lamb, 1886; A. H. Nathan, 1887; J. Buchanan, 1888; W. H. Colbeck, 1889–1890; A. Porter, 1891–1893; A. H. Nathan, 1894; M. A. Clark, 1895; B. Kent, 1896–1897; John Burns, 1898–1899; Samuel Vaile, 1900–1901.
Mr. S. Vaile.
Mr. Henry Goulstone is Secretary of the Auckland Chamber of Commerce, of the Auckland Fire Underwriters' Association, and of the Mackelvie Trust, in addition to being a public accountant and auditor and F.I.A., New Zealand. He was born near Bristol, was educated at private schools, and commenced a business career with a general merchant in that city. Mr. Goulstone came out to the colonies in 1857–8, and remained in business on the Darling Downs, Queensland, for about three years. Having to quit that locality on account of his health, he joined the Bank of New South Wales in Sydney, and, after a few months, was removed to New Zealand, where he became well known as a banker. After about fifteen years of service, he resigned from the Bank, and again entered into mercantile pursuits; and ultimately joined the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company as its colonial accountant. Mr. Goulstone's commercial and financial training has been very beneficial in connection with his present appointments and positions.
The Auckland Employers' Association was formed in 1890 during the strike, and it did much useful work, in conjunction with other similar associations throughout the colony, in influencing labour legislation and preventing trade disputes. Mr. F. G. Ewington, who has been the secretary ever since the formation of the Association, for three years acted in an honorary capacity, and Mr. Graves Aickin is president. Several of the principal merchants of Auckland have successively held the office of president.
Mr. F. G. Ewington arrived in New Zealand in 1862, by the ship “Indian Empire.” He went to Taranaki in 1863, when the Maori war broke out, and joined Colonel Nixon's mounted colonial defence force. Afterwards he went to Waikato, and was in the fight at Rangiriri. In 1866 he commenced business in Auckland as a land agent, and is still in that pursuit. Mr. Ewington is official visitor to the lunatic asylum; honorary secretary to the Benevolent Society; member of the Chamber of Commerce, Prisoners' Aid Society, and several literary societies.
Hanna, photo.Mr. F. G. Ewington.
The Auckland Pharmaceutical Association was founded in 1887 to advance the best and most lasting interests of chemists and druggists. None but persons who are duly registered are admitted to membership. Mr. T. Crawford is president. Mr. A. G. Kenderdine, secretary, and Mr. W. Sharland, treasurer; and these gentlemen constitute the committee, together with Messrs G. Aickin and H. King.
The Auckland Provincial Industrial Association was established in May, 1899. It is incorporated under “The Industrial Societies Act, 1883,” and affiliated with the Industrial Corporation of New Zealand. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Officers: Mr. Matthew A. Clark, president, Mr. George Fraser, vice-president; Messrs Graves Aickin, Arthur C. Atkin, Alfred Bevins, George C. Garlick, Samuel M. Green, Richard Hellaby, J. L. Holland, W. E. Hutchison, W. B. Layland, J. Henry Mackie, G. H. Powley, J. McCoskrie, C. Ranson, Richard Warnock, John Wiseman, Arthur C. Whitney, committee; Mr. W. J. W. Philson, honorary treasurer; Mr. J. Henry Mackie, 42 Queen Street (Alex. Aitken, Ltd.), Auckland, secretary.
The Amalgamated Society Of Carpenters And Joiners, Auckland Branch, No. 623. This society, the head office of which in Australasia is in Sydney, New South Wales, and its head centre in Manchester, England, was founded in 1840, for the purpose of procuring, and, where possible, advancing, the best interests of the trades. The entrance fee for members is 7s 6d, and then a contribution of 1s per week. Should a contributing member suffer any loss of tools through fire, theft, or accident, he is entitled to claim the full value thereof from the society, and a carpenter or joiner who remains a member for twenty-five years is entitled to 8s per week for the remainder of his life. If a member of the association meets with an accident which partially incapacitales him, he receives £50; whilst total disablement entitles him to £100. The membership of the whole amalgamated society is now 350,000. Mr. A. Rosser is president; Mr. T. Tudehope, treasurer; and Mr. S. Tyson, secretary of the Auckland branch.
The Amalgamated Society Of Railway Servants Of New Zealand, Auckland Branch. The objects of this society are to protect railway employees, to encourage mutual help, and to make the service more efficient. Mr. F. J. Pope is chairman, and Mr. Warren secretary of the Auckland branch.
Australasian Institute Of Marine Engineers, Auckland Branch. This branch was established in 1881 for the purpose of watching over and securing for its members the advancement of their interests. Officers: Mr. J. McIntyre, president and treasurer; Mr. S. D. Hanna, sacretary. There is also a committee of five.
Mr. Samuel Dawson Hanna, Secretary of the Australasian Institute of Marine Engineers, and formerly Manager of the Auckland Freezing Company, has had an eventful career. He was born in the north of Ireland. His father, under medical advice decided to emigrate to New Zealand in quest of health. He arrived in 1865, but died a few years afterwards, leaving his wife and young family to mourn his death. Mr S. D. Hanna was the second son. He was partly educated in Ireland, but finished in Auckland, under the Rev. W. Taylor, at the Auckland College. After an apprenticeship with Messrs M. and G. Lukey, engine smiths, he went to Messrs Masefield and Co.'s foundry to finish his articles and gain further experience in his profession. He also studied mechanical drawing for three years at the Mechanics' Institute under Mr. W. Humphries, and gained a first prize. In order to still further qualify himself, Mr. Hanna in 1876 secured the position of third engineer on the New Zealand Steamship Company's s.s. “Phoebe,” and remained there for about a year, when he transferred to the Auckland Steam Packet Company's s.s. “Southern Cross” as second engineer. On page 305 leaving the sea, Mr. Hanna accepted the position of chief engineer at the Auckland Waterworks Pumping Station at the Western Springs. He held this position for about seven years, when he resigned and entered the service of the Auckland Freezing Company as chief engineer at the Waitara branch. A year later, however, he was appointed to the corresponding position at the Auckland works, and for several years he occupied the difficult dual position of chief engineer and general manager of the company. The greatest credit is due to Mr. Hanna for the admirable way in which he qualified himself for the onerous position he filled, and his popularity throughout the district is deservedly great. He is chairman of the Ponsonby regatta committee, a proverbially successful association, the committee of which, through Mr. Thomas Peacock, presented him with a beautiful illuminated address in recognition of his efforts on behalf of the regatta. Mr. Hanna is also secretary of the local branch of the Institute of Marine Engineers, and was elected to represent them in conference with steam shipowners in Melbourne in 1893. On his return to Auckland he was presented with a very handsome silver tea and coffee service. He is a member of the Auckland Regatta Committee and was captain of the West End Rowing Club. In Masonry Mr. Hanna holds the rank of Past Grand Senior Warden, and was a member of the Board of General Purposes for several years, besides being a Past Master of the Ara Lodge 348 I.C., and twice filling the office of Worshipful Master in Ara No. 1 N.Z.C. In 1877 Mr. Hanna was married to Miss Annie Horne daughter of the late Mr. Adam Horne, of Auckland, and niece of the late Mr. R. Graham for many years Superintendent of the Province. He is nephew of J. D. Crawford, M.D., of Liverpool, the Rev. Dr. Crawford, of Belfast, and the late Rev. Dr. Hugh Hanna, of the same place.
Mr. S. D. Hanna.
Auckland Builders' and Contractors' Union of Employer's, 303 Victoria Arcade, Auckland. Officers for 1901: Mr. J. Holland, president; Mr. S. I. Clarke, vice-president; Mr. R. A. Burgess, secretary; Mr. J. Ellingham, treasurer; Messrs Charles Blomfield, W. E. Hutchison, Edward Lye, John McColl, Alfred Pollard, George Rhodes, and Samuel' Clarke, committee. This union was founded in 1882, and reconstructed in 1891. Its membership consists of sixty firms. The objects of the association are to endeavour to raise the status of the building trade in Auckland by association and united representation to architects, merchants, and others; by correcting abuses and resisting injustice, whether from within or without the union; and, by means of a central office, to afford mutual help in the transaction of business, etc.
Mr. Robert Alfred Burgess, Secretary of the Auckland Builders' and Contractors' Union of Employers, has occupied the position since 1898. He was born and educated in London, and brought up to the building trade, at which he served his time with some of the leading contractors of the metropolis. Mr. Burgess came to New Zealand in 1875, and commenced business in Auckland as a surveyor. He afterwards became a building surveyor, and his large experience in the Old Country had been an excellent training for that class of work. Mr. Burgess is well-known amongst the builders of Auckland, and is popular with the members of the union.
Mr. R. A. Burgess.
Mr. John Laird McColl, ex-President of the Auckland Builders' Association, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1840, and received his early training in that country. He acquired his business knowledge under his father, the late Mr. John McColl, a well-known Scotch railway contractor. In 1862 he came to New Zealand, and having landed at Invercargill, established himself in business as a builder and contractor. During the troublous times of the Waikato war, he came to Auckland and was engaged in constructing hospital buildings for the Government troops at Alexandra, Cambridge and Hamilton. He then returned to Auckland and continued in business as a contractor. Mr. McColl has erected some fine buildings in Auckland and its surrounding districts, including the Ellerslie grandstand and St. George's Church at the Thames, besides a number of schools and private residences in all parts of the provincial district. Like others of his profession, Mr. McColl visited Melbourne during the great “boom,” and for about four years was kept constantly employed in erecting a number of large and striking private houses in that city. In public affairs Mr. McColl has always taken a prominent part. For about seventeen years he has been a member of the Newmarket Borough Council, and he was chairman of the old Newmarket Road Board. He has held the position of chairman of the Newmarket school committee for a number of years, and has been senior warden of Lodge Remuera. For five years he held the office of president of the Auckland Builders' Association. Mr. McCoil holds office in connection with the Newmarket Bowling Club as well, and he has always, in every possible way, been willing to be of use to his fellow citizens. He takes a special interest in the Auckland technical school, as he himself was a pupil of the well-known Mr. R. Riddell, and he has a due appreciation of the benefits of technical education. Mr. McColl was the first in New Zealand to manufacture varnish from kauri gum, and as far back as 1870 he held, in connection with Mr. Atkinson of the Auckland gas-works, a patent for the process. He is also the inventor of an ingenious self-acting water pump, which can be employed for drodging harbours by the rise and fall of the tide in a harbour or river mouth.
The Coastal Seamen's Union was founded in 1890, with the object of bringing together coastal seamen to discuss matters which would advance the best interests of their calling. The union has been in a state of abeyance for a number of years. Messrs Griffiths, Boonstra, and Kuntz are trustees, and Mr. A. Boonstra is secretary.
The Trades And Labour Council is a representative body of the trades in Auckland. Each trade sends one representative for every twenty members in its respective union. The Council meets every alternate Thursday in the Tailoresses' Hall, Cook Street. It was founded in 1872 for the purpose of guarding the best interests of trades and labour. Mr. S. Tyson is president of the council; Mr. T. Tudehope, secretary; and Mr. C. Chappell, treasurer. There is also a committee, the members of which are elected annually.
Auckland Master Iron-Workers and Farriers Association. Mr. John Patterson (president); Mr. Thomas Inglis page 306 (vice-president): Messrs. John Quinn and W. Munro (trustees); S. H. Fairweather (treasurer); Henry Phillips (secretary). This association was formed on the 17th of May. 1890, its object being to get as many of those employed in the trade as possible to combine and fix a uniform charge for all ironwork, etc., turned out at the respective establishments of the members. A uniform rate of wage was paid to the employees who were thus placed on a much better footing than previously. The association petitioned the government upon one occasion and was successful in obtaining an increased tariff on imported and manufactured ironwork.
Mr. Henry Phillips, Secretary of the Auckland Master Ironworkers and Farriers Association, was born at the Hutt, Wellington, in 1856 and is a son of Mr. Thomas Phillips, of Randolph Street. He was educated at St. Paul's church school, and was apprenticed to Mr. Leahy, Custom Street, for five years. At the expiration of his time he visited Sydney, returning to Auckland after several months absence and re-entered the service of his former employer. Mr. Phillips went into business on his own account a year later. He is the provincial corresponding secretary of the National Order of Oddfellows, and also secretary of the United Brothers' Lodge of the same order. Some years ago Mr. Phillips took an active interest in outdoor sports. He is an officer of the Tabernaele. Mrs. Phillips is a daughter of the late Mr. Jas. MeLelian, who landed in the “Jane Gifford” in 1842. Mrs. Phillips also claims the Hutt as her birth place.
Mr. H. Phillips.
The Auckland Master Bakers' Association was formed with the object of guarding the interests of the trade; of securing a uniform, fair, and honest price, and promoting mutual assistance between its members. The officers are: Messrs G. Smerdon, president; W. Buchanan, vice-president; C. Kingsford, secretary; and J. Burton, treasurer. The committee consists of Messrs T. J. Phillips, F. Price, A. Kent, Thomas Knight, and J. Gardner.
Auckland Boot Manufacturers' Union of Employers (federated with the New Zealand Boot Manufacturers' Association). Mr. G. A. Coles, president; Mr. R. Walton, vice-president; Mr. E. Russell Jones, secretary and treasurer. Registered office, corner of Albert and Durham Streets. This union was founded in 1885, and it has thirty members on its roll. The three Auckland delegates sent to attend the conference held in Christchurch in 1900 were Messrs G. A. Coles, E. Russell Jones, and J. Trenwith.
The Auckland Master Butchers' Association was formed many years ago, but has not been continuously in active existence. As at present constituted, it dates from 1898, and its objects are to maintain a fair and uniform price throughout and to protect the interests of the trade generally. Officers: Messrs G. Knight, president; W. G. Robertson, secretary; and R. Salmon, treasurer.
Auckland Licensed Victuallers' Association. The membership of the Association is confined strictly to persons in the trade. Its objects are to watch over and advance the interests of the trade, to guard against harsh measures likely to affect the trade, and to see that the licensing laws are strictly enforced. Mr. J. McLeod is president; Mr. M. Foley, vice-president; Mr. A. J. Tapper, secretary; and Mr. J. Morrison, treasurer. There is also a committee to assist in the management of the association's affairs.
The Auckland Guild Of Master Painters. This guild was founded in 1899, with the object of advancing the best and most lasting interests of the trade. Officers: Messrs J. L. Holland, president; J. Henderson, secretary; and M. J. Bennett, treasurer.
Auckland Master Plumbers' Association. This body was established in 1886. Mr. E. Lonergan is president; Mr. A. G. Blakey, vice-president; Mr. C. Peace, secretary; and Mr. B. Schenk, treasurer. There is also an emergency committee consisting of Messrs D. Doul, C. A. P. Annett, and F. Hitchcock. The objects of the society are to improve matters affecting the trade in general, to obtain first-class workmanship, and to discuss topics referring to any branches of the trade. The association also arranges matters between masters and employees, and the members have agitated for the formation of a technical school. During the typhoid fever scare a few years ago, the association approached the City Council, with a view to establishing a sanitary system.
Mr. David Miller, formerly Secretary of the Auckland Master Plumbers' Association, is of Scottish parentage, and came to Auckland by the ship “Ganges” in 1863. He was educated in Auckland, and apprenticed to the plumbing trade for five years with Mr. Martin McDermott, of Victoria Street. Later on he went to Wanganui, and started business on his own account in Wickstead Place, whence he removed to Ridgway Street. After a successful run of seven years in that town, he returned to Auckland in 1881, and established his present business in Wellesley Strzet. Mr. Miller is a Freemason, and was for seven years in the Ponsonby Naval Artillery. Whilst in Wanganui he was one of the crew that won the Champion Fours.
The Auckland Tailoresses' Union was founded in 1891. Its objects are to bring the various members together for purposes of friendship and mutual help, and to avert or readjust differences between employers and employees. The Union is non-political in its constitution, and aims at results independently of parties. The Hon. W. T. Jennings is president, Mr. A. Sanford, vice-president, Miss Mahon, secretary, and Miss Short, treasurer.
Auckland Typographical Association. This association meets half-yearly, in February and August, at the Foresters' Hall, Newton. The Board of Management meets on the second week in every alternate month at the same hall. Officers: Hon. W. T. Jennings, M.L.C., president; Mr. A. Hall, vice-president; Mr. F. A. Cleveland, Victoria Avenue, Eden Terrace, secretary.
The Auckland United Furniture Trade And Industrial Union Of Workers was established in 1899, to secure mutual assistance among its members, and to promote the welfare of the trades generally. Mr. F. Robertson is president, and Mr. R. Mens, secretary.
Auckland Working Men's Friendly and Society. This society was established in 1872, with the object of raising funds by initiation fees, monthly subscriptions, interest on capital, and levies if necessary, to pay its members weekly payments for a stated time when unable to work, through sickness or accident, and a stated sum at the death of a member or his wife. The entrance fee is, for persons aged from eighteen to twenty-five, 5s; twenty-five to thirty, 7s 6d; thirty to thirty-five, 10s; thirty-five to forty, 20s; and the subscription, 2s 6d per calendar month. Mr. L. A. Wood is chairman; Mr. D. Powell, treasurer; and Mr. T. Snodgrass, secretary. There are also five directors, and a financial committee of six members.
The Early Closing Association was established in 1875, in order to secure just and proper hours for workmen; to obtain, where possible, Saturday afternoon as the general half-holiday; to create a better feeling between employees and employers; and to assist the former, when out of work, to procure employment. Mr W. Beehan is president; Mr. J. S. Dickson, secretary; and Mr. H. Gower, treasurer.