Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]



Auckland Turkish Baths, Lorne and Victoria Streets, Auckland. Established 1882. These baths are under the able management of Mr. A. C. Fort, and are well recognised throughout the province as a valuable institution. Some very noteworthy cures have been effected by their aid. One patient received the use of his hands, arms and legs though for over a year previously he had been considered a hopeless rheumatic cripple, having to be moved always by means of a wheel chair; and even fever cases have been relieved and cured. The manager claims to have cured patients who had received no benefit even from the famous Rotorua treatment. The establishment contains fifteen rooms, and all the appliances for Turkish, hot, cold, shower and vapour baths are provided. Mrs. Fort attends to the ladies' department. The greatest attention is given to cleanliness, and those who have patronised the baths speak of them in the highest terms.

Auckland Turkish Baths.

Auckland Turkish Baths.

Mr. Adam Clapperton Fort, the Manager of the Auckland Turkish Baths, was born in Edinburgh in 1844, and educated at Dr. Andrew Thomson's school. In 1861 he came to New Zealand, and after working for about two years as a carpenter, he joined Pitt's Corps of 400 volunteers, and, going to Drury on active service, he was present at the taking of Rangiriri. He was then transferred to the Commissariat Transport Corps, and was one of the first detachment to leave for the Thames to construct redoubts between the Thames and Firth's redoubt. On returning with his detachment to Auckland, Mr. Fort did further service in the construction of military stations between Raglan and Whatawhata. He then worked on the Thames goldfields as a miner, and five years afterwards went to the diggings in Victoria, and was subsequently in business in Melbourne. On returning to Auckland, Mr. Fort went into business and continued in it over six years. He then visited San Francisco, and on his return in 1891 he accepted his present position.