The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Chemists and Druggists
Chemists and Druggists.
Aickin, Graves, Pharmaceutical and Dispensing Chemist, 66 Queen Street, Auckland. Telephone 81. Mr. G. Aickin is fully referred to elsewhere as a member of the Auckland City Council.
Cooper, Frederick J., Pharmaceutical Chemist, corner of Victoria and Hobson Streets, Auckland. Telephone 141.
Crawford, Thomas A., Pharmaceutical Chemist, 154 Karangahape Road, Auckland. Telephone 443. This business dates back to 1866, when it was founded by the present proprietor on a site almost directly facing his present premises, which were entered on in 1899.
Edson, John, Chemist, 268 Queen Street, Auckland. Telephone 418. This business was established by its present proprietor in 1859.
Fenton, Francis Albert, Pharmaceutical Chemist, Karangahape Road, Auckland. Telephone 1083. Mr. Fenton established his business in 1899.
Faulder, John, Chemist, 232 Karangahape Road, Auckland. This business was established in August, 1899, by the proprietor, who was born in Auckland in 1871. He served an apprenticeship with Mr. J. A. Haslett, and was registered in February, 1898.
Gilbert, Stephen, Pharmaceutical Chemist, 180 Queen Street, Auckland. Telephone 236. This business was established in 1882.
Hamilton Bros. , Pharmaceutical Chemists, Palmerston Buildings, 51 Queen Street, Auckland. Mr. Harkness Hamilton, the surviving partner of the firm, purchased his present business from Mr. Grundy, and carried it on in conjunction with his brother until the latter's death. Since then Mr. H. Hamilton has been the sole proprietor.
Haslett, James A., Chemist and Optician, 252 Queen Street, Auckland. Telephone 40. Mr. Haslett established his present business in 1882.
Jefferson, John Mitchell, Chemist, Upper Symonds Street and corner of Newton Road, Auckland, and Manukau Road, Newmarket. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Telephone 584. Mr. Jefferson arrived in New Zealand in 1891 by the s.s. “Tongariro,” from London. He was born in England, and had an extensive and practical experience in some of the best dispensing businesses, including those of Randall and Sons, chemists to the Queen, Southampton J. Bell and Co., Hastings, and Headland and Co., Brighton. Mr. Jefferson also conducted a successful business on his own account in the Old Country. On his arrival in New Zealand he began business as a pharmaceutical and homœpathic chemist. He is an associate of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, and a skilful dispenser, and as he makes direct importations of all the requisites of his business, his patrons have complete guarantees of the quality and freshness of all medicines obtained at his dispensary. Mr. Jefferson is the maker of Jefferson's Barberry Bitters, Pectoral Balsam Children's Cough Mixture, Petroleum Emulsion, Cod Liver Oil Emulsion, Nursery Han Lotion, Eucalyptus White Oils, and a number of other well-known remedies. He also manufactures “Neurol,” which is the registered title of a new remedy for headache and neuralgia, influenza or la grippe, colds, and feverishness. “Neurol” is almost tasteless and is said to contain no preparations of opium or morphia.
Mr. J. M. Jefferson.
Kenderdine, Arthur George. Chemist, 100 Karangahape Road, Auckland. This business was established about 1860. The present proprietor, a son of the late Dr. Kenderdine, was born in Auckland, where he was brought up to this profession. He was dispenser at the Auckland Hospital for five years, and was registered as a chemist in 1892.
Kenderdine And Kirkup (John Kenderdine and Thomas Kirkup), Manufacturing Chemists, Sale Street, Freeman's Bay, Auckland. This firm was established in its present premises in 1895.
Mr. H. King.
Lamb, Albert S. J., Pharmaceutical Chemist, Symonds Street, Auckland. Telephone 851. This business was established by its present proprietor in 1898.
Sharland And Company, Ltd., Wholesale and Manufacturing Chemists and Druggists, Lorne Street, Auckland. Telephones 189 and 1190.
Sharland, Frederick Caddy, Pharmaceutical Chemist, Ponsonby Road, Auckland. Telephone 357. The business, which Mr. Sharland now conducts, was purchased from Mr. Blomfield, who established it in 1881.
Sharland, William, Pharmaceutical Chemist, Shortland Street, Auckland. Telephone 104. Mr. Sharland is chemist by special appointment to His Excellency the Governor.