Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]



The Auckland Society Of Arts holds its annual exhibition in either the month of March or November. The society occupies a room at No. 36 Palmerston Buildings, where art periodicals are laid on the tables. This room is open to members on each week day during office hours. His Excellency the Governor, Lord Ranfurly, and Lady Ranfurly are patrons to the Auckland Society of Arts. The officers for 1901 are: Mr. A. E. Devore, president; Mr. D. Goldie, Rev. Dr. Purchas, Messrs E. W. Payton, H. Brett, W. Aitken, E. Withy, E. A. Mackechnie, J. H. Upton, and T. H. Smith, vice-presidents; Messrs F. Wright, E. E. Vaile, T. D. Leedham, M. Trenwith, C. F. Goldie, E. W. Payton, and R. Pheney, committee; Mr. E. Bartley, treasurer; Mr. S. Stuart, secretary, View Road, Auckland.

Auckland Acclimatization Society. The officers of this society are: Mr. James Burtt, president; Mr. A. Bull, vice-president; Messrs G. R. Bloomfield, A. D'Arcy, H. C. Choyce, C. E. S. Gillies, E. J. Harvey, J. Hardie, T. T. Masefield, T. Morrin, A. A. White, A. C. Whitney, and J. Wigmore, members of council; Mr. T. F. Cheeseman, secretary and treasurer. The Auckland Acclimatization Society was founded in February, 1867, by a few gentlemen desirous of introducing game and insectivorous birds. At that time the only foreign birds which had been naturalised in the colony were the Chinese pheasant and the common house sparrow. The new society lost no time in commencing operations. A site was secured in the Auckland Domain, a curator's house and aviaries were erected, and orders for a great number of birds were forwarded to England. For ten years the chief efforts of the society were devoted to the introduction of birds, and it successfully acclimatized the blackbird, thrush, starling, rook, greenfinch, goldfinch, chaffinch, skylark, yellowhammer, Californian quail, Australian quail, black swan and white swan. The society next turned its attention to the introduction of fish. The common carp and the American cat-fish were easily succeeded with, and attempts were then made to introduce Californian salmon and English brown trout. For several years large consignments of salmon ova were obtained from San Francisco, and thousands of fry were hatched and distributed in the chief rivers of the province. It was not until ten years' work had been given to this without success that all further attempts to deal with salmon in Auckland were abandoned. In the meantime experiment had fully proved that the English brown trout would not thrive to the northward of Lake Rotorua. The society then attempted the introduction of the Californian rainbow trout, and in a few years it became evident that the experiment would be successful. As large importations of birds were no longer required, the society gave up its establishment near Auckland, and selected a suitable locality in the Upper Thames Valley, where an ample supply of pure water made it easy to establish a fish-breeding station. A hatchery was erected, and breeding-ponds and all other conveniences for the rearing of trout were constructed. This has resulted in the stocking of most of the rivers and lakes between the Lower Waikato and Lake Taupo with rainbow trout, and excellent fishing can now be obtained in many localities. At the present time the society's hatchery TURNS out about 500,000 trout ova yearly. Part of these is sold to foreign societies, but a considerable proportion is hatched and the fry distributed in suitable streams. Every year additional rivers are thrown open for fishing; and before very long nearly all suitable streams will be well stocked.

The Auckland Provincial Agricultural Association. The present association is an institution of comparatively recent date, but the parent society, which was founded as early as 1843, and known as the North Ulster Agricultural and Pastoral Society, was probably the oldest in New Zealand. It had many ups and downs, and in the early fifties its name was changed to the Auckland Agricultural Association, and later to that of the New Zealand Agricultural and Pastoral Association. Mr. John Grigg, of Longbeach, Canterbury, was one of its early presidents. Between 1870 and 1880 the old society was again flourishing under its original name of the Auckland Agricultural and Pastoral Association. A show ground was purchased at Ellerslie, and a considerable amount of money was expended on the yards and buildings. Unfortunately the heavy burdens consequent on this expenditure, and a series of wet show days, landed the society in financial difficulties, and in 1887 the show ground fell into the hands of the mortgagees. The Auckland district was then for four years without either an agricultural association or a show. In the year 1890 the Mangere Farmers' Club determined to re-establish an institution so essential for the development of agriculture and for stimulating the breeding of high-class stock. An energetic committee took the matter in hand, and a show was held in November, 1890, under the auspices of the Mangere Farmers' Club. The success of this show encouraged the committee to undertake the formation of the present association, which was constituted in May, 1891, with Mr. W. F. Massey, M.H.R., as the first president. Since then the progress of the association has been steady and regular. It has been fortunate in having the services of such able and energetic presidents as the gentlemen who have succeeded each other in this position; namely, Messrs W. F. Massey, M. M. Kirkbride, G. B. Hutton, W. McLaughlin, W. Westney, and J. G. Rutherford. The shows during the past few years have been held at Potter's Paddock, Epsom. These grounds are convenient and central, and provided with all the requisite stands, pens, and buildings. The officers of the association for 1901 are: Mr. J. G. Rutherford, president; Mr. R. Dick, vice-president; Messrs E. Allen, George Ballard, J. Fisher, W. Greenwood, James Hume, R. Hall, M. M. Kirkbride, W. McLaughlin, C. Shipherd, W. Sharp, W. Westney, and John Udy, executive committee of the council; Mr. A. H. Grainger, honorary treasurer; Mr. Edwin Hall, secretary.

Mr. James Gillies Rutherford, President of the Auckland Provincial Agricultural Association, is a prominent settler in the Bombay district, and is referred to as such in another article.

Mr. Edwin Hall, of Mangere, the present secretary, has been in office almost from the foundation of the association, and has proved himself to be a conscientious and painstaking official, who carries out his duties with judgment and punctuality.

Mr. Alfred Henry Grainger (Of Messrs Hurst and Co.) has, as honorary treasurer, rendered valuable services to the association, by supervising the finances with cordial goodwill and business-like ability.

Auckland Camera Club. This club was founded in 1885, and such well-known citizens as Dr. J. L. Campbell, Messrs J. R. Francis, W. R. Carsons, G. R. Boulton, B. W. Swales, and G. Sturtevant were prominently associated with its inception. The object of the club is the advancement of photography in all its branches. Lord Onslow, when Governor of New Zealand, took a great interest in the club, and, being himself an amateur photographer, he attended several of its meetings while he was residing in Auckland. After some years of prosperity the financial depression that passed over Auckland about 1890 caused the club to almost entirely cease operations, and in 1892 the officers indefinitely suspended the meetings. In 1895 Mr. R. B. Walrond, now president called a public meeting of those interested in photography, and the club again resumed active work under the most favourable conditions. It has at present a membership of sixty-five. The officers for 1901 are: Dr. J. Logan Campbell, patron; Mr. R. B. Walrond, president; Messrs D. Goldie, Josiah Martin, J. R. Hanna, and E. W. Payton, page 253 vice-presidents; Mr. H. R. Arthur, care of the Auckland Gas Company, honorary secretary.

Mr. Herbert R. Arthur, Secretary of the Auckland Camera Club, is a native of Auckland, and received his education at the Auckland Grammar School. On leaving
Hanna, photo.Mr. H. R. Arthur.

Hanna, photo.
Mr. H. R. Arthur.

school Mr. Arthur turned his attention to farming, which he afterwards gave up to join the Auckland Gas Company's staff, of which he has been a member for thirteen years. Mr. Arthur has devoted much of his time to the study of photography, and has been an enthusiastic and active member of the Camera Club for twelve years. He has held the position of secretary since 1892, and has done much for the club's welfare and advancement.

The Auckland Savage Club was established in June, 1888. Its chief objects are the development of artistic talent, and the promotion of good fellowship and rational amusement. Visitors of distinction are invited to attend the meetings, which are held on alternate Saturday evenings in the club room, Masonic Hall, Princes Street, from April to October of each year. The club, amongst its own members, possesses one of the finest orchestras in the city. Its present membership is 150, and its finances are in a flourishing condition. The officers are: Bro. Dr. T. Hope Lewis, president; Bros. Rev. Dr. Egan, Dr. de Clive Lowe, and J. McK. Geddes, vice-presidents; Bros. A. Bartley, S. Milroy, J. J. Boak, A. B. Reynolds, C. Chambers, H. Keesing, and W. R. Carrollo, committee; Bro. W. Ledingham, honorary treasurer; Bro. W. Prime, honorary auditor; Bro. F. J. Whitaker, honorary secretary.

The Auckland Orphans' Club is established on lines similar to those of the Savage Club. Meetings are held on every alternate Saturday evening throughout the winter months in the club room, Masonic Hall, Princes Street. The membership is 140, but a large number of the “Orphans” are also members of the Savage Club. The officers are: Bro. S. Thorne George, president; Bros. M. Lewis, J. W. Browning, A. L. Edwards, L. Lewis, and McDougall, committee; Bro. J. W. Worrall, treasurer; Bros. W. J. Quinn and N. A. L. Gazzard, joint secretaries.

New Zealand And Australian Natives' Association (Auckland branch). The Mayor of Auckland is patron, and the following constitute the Executive: Mr. J. J. O'Brien, president; Mr. W. H. Churton, vice-president; Messrs G. Brabant, W. Smith, T. Foley, Captain Reid, W. Marshall, D. L. Goldwater, and G. Stevens committee; Mr. P. Bryant, treasurer; Mr. E. Ford, secretary. This registered society was founded in November, 1894, and has over 600 enrolled members. The ordinary meetings are held every fourth week during the winter season in the club room, Queen Street, where a first-class billiard table of local manufacture is looked after by an experienced marker. Chess, draughts, writing materials, newspapers, and a piano are kept for the convenience of members and their friends. A telephone is also provided. The association interests itself in all important public matters bearing on the welfare of the colony, and is intended for the intellectual and social advancement of its members. Membership is confined to males born in New Zealand and the Australian colonies, and who are of or over the age of eighteen years. A benevolent fund for the benefit of members has been established. The annual subscription is ten shillings.

Mr. Ernest George Robert Ford J.P., Secretary of the New Zealand Natives' Association, was formerly connected with the Union Steamship Company, for which he was agent at Russell, Bay of Islands, and afterwards its manager at Levuka for over three years. He is the only surviving son of the late Dr. Samuel Hayward Ford, who is mentioned in Brett's History of New Zealand, as one of the pioneers of the North of Auckland. Mr. Ford was partly educated at the Parnell Grammar School, and completed his education in England. On returning to New Zealand he joined the mercantile marine, and was engaged as a trader in connection with the South Sea Islands and the Australian Colonies. Mr. Ford was instrumental in developing the Ngunguru coalfield, north of Auckland, and also took a prominent part in the formation of the New Zealand Natives' Association. He was president for two years, and he is now secretary. Mr. Ford was the prime mover in the raising of three corps of New Zealand natives, and one Engineer Corps, in the City of Auckland, and is an enthusiastic supporter of athletic and aquatic sports. He holds a certificate of proficiency from the Auckland Umpires' Association.

Hanna, photo. Mr. E. G. R. Ford.

Hanna, photo.
Mr. E. G. R. Ford.

Auckland Horticultural Society. This society was established in 1897, and has already achieved very considerable success. Two shows are held annually in the Choral Hall, where excellent displays are made. The society has a library, which members may use free of charge, in the premises of Messrs Yates and Co. This library contains all the principal English and American horticultural journals. His Excellency the Governor, Lord Ranfurly, is patron of the society, and the mayor, Mr. D. Goldie, is vice-patron. Professor Thomas, M.A., is president, and there are thirty-eight vice-presidents. The committee consists of Messrs Alfred Hosking (chairman), W. Collins, A. E. Grinrod, W. Handley, E. J. Harvey, H. A. Marriner, and A. Taylor. There is also a ladies' committee consisting of Mrs McKean, Mrs Clifford A. Stevens, and Miss Kate Nelson. Mr. William Satchell, of Exchange Lane, Queen Street, is secretary to the society.

Auckland And Suburban Poultry, Pigeon, And Canary Association. This association was formed in 1900 by the amalgamation of the Auckland and suburban associations, the city society being the parent body. Its present officers are: Mr. C. Grey, president; Mr. A. A. White, treasurer; Mr. J. M. Thomson, secretary; Messrs A. Currie, G. Rowles, J. B. Paterson, T. McEntree, J. Coyle, G. Taylor, H. Tattersall, D. Markham, T. Higgins, A. Adamson, J. Walker, W. Mason, C. V. Langford, J. Kelso, J. Williamson, Charles Bartley, and T. Hanson, committee. The Auckland association was in existence for over twenty years prior to the amalgamation, and held a yearly show. The first show of the combined associations was held in 1900.

The Auckland Scenery Conservation Society. Mr. David Goldie, Mayor of Auckland, is president of this society, and Dr. J. L. Campbell, Messrs L. D. Nathan, James Russell, and W. S. Wilson are vice-presidents. The committee consists of twenty of the leading citizens of Auckland. The society was formed at a public meeting page 254 convened by the mayor on the 21st of July, 1899. Its chief objects are the conservation of the natural beauties of the district of Auckland, to prevent the destruction of native trees and shrubs, to encourage tree planting, the general beautification of public places, and generally, to make travelling to all places of interest easier and pleasanter. At the first meeting of the committee, Mr. A. J. Allom was induced to accept the combined offices of honorary secretary and treasurer, and carried them out until ill-health compelled him to resign in December, 1900. The annual subscription of members is five shillings; a life membership is granted on payment of three guineas or any higher sum; and the funds are devoted to the furtherance of the general objects of the society.

Auckland Shorthand Writers' Association. This association was established in 1888. The officers are: Mr. William Berry, president; Mr. W. H. Leece, secretary; Mr. W. Bedford, treasurer; Miss Entrican and Mr. Brodie, committee.

The Yorkshire Society, established by the Yorkshire people residing in Auckland, holds monthly social meetings in the Oddfellows' Hall, Cook Street. The officers for 1901 are: Dr. Henry Walker, president; Mr. Thomas Read, treasurer; Mr. John West, secretary; Messrs J. Jackson, J. G. Culpan, H. Schofield, J. R. Harrop, Henry Winkelmann, T. Woodhead, and W. E. Baxter, committee.

page break
Port Fitzroy, Great Barrier Island.

Port Fitzroy, Great Barrier Island.