Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]



The Northern Club was founded in August, 1869, and ever since its inception has held the premier place in the social life of the city. At the first meeting, which was held at Mr. Stannus Jones's office in Queen Street, it was decided to form the club under rules similar to those of the Army and Navy Club, London, and the Union Club, Sydney. Amongst the first officers elected were the Hon. J. Williamson, M.L.C., president; Mr. G. B. Owen, vice-president; and Captain Burton J. Daveney, secretary; and many influential citizens of Auckland were members. The building still occupied by the club in Princes Street was bought; it had been originally built as an hotel, and was then in the occupation of the Provincial Government. Extensive alterations were made, and the club opened with a grand dinner on the 1st of January, 1870. The building, which is constructed of brick, stands on one of the most commanding sites of Auckland, and overlooks the city and harbour. It is of three stories, on the Princes Street frontage, and four on the frontages to Victoria Street and Bank Street. In 1884 additions were made, and the building was extended considerably at the rear. The dining room, which is probably the largest club
Northern Club.

Northern Club.

dining room in the colony, is situated on the ground floor, and so are the wine and smoking rooms, the secretary's office, and the lavatories. The fine billiard room, which contains two of Alcock's tables, the card and reading rooms, and the library are on the first floor; the bedrooms are situated on the two top floors, whence some splendid views of the city and harbour are obtainable. Many distinguished visitors to the colony have been the guests of the club, which entertained Admiral Hornby and the officers of the fleet when the Flying Squadron visited Auckland in 1870. The Duke of Edinburgh was also the club's guest on the occasion of his visit to New Zealand. The “Northern” is a residential club, and the number of members on the roll is now 146. Mr. John Menzies is secretary and manager, and the property is managed by trustees.
Mr. John Menzies, Secretary and Manager of the Northern Club, is a native of Perthshire, Scotland, and received his
Mr. J. Menzies.Hanna, Pphoto

Mr. J. Menzies.Hanna, Pphoto

education in the city of Perth. He came to New Zealand in 1876, when he joined his uncle, who then occupied the City Club Hotel, Auckland. In conjunction with his uncle Mr. Menzies successfully conducted several hotels in the city, and subsequently the Tauranga Hotel, Tauranga, better known as Menzies' Hotel, and while there he made himself extremely popular amongst the travellers and settlers of the district. In 1887 Mr. Menzies took over the management page 240 of Lake House, Rotorua, for the trustees of the late Mr. Robert Graham, and retained the position until he accepted the management of the Northern Club in 1888. As a Freemason Mr. Menzies is a P.M. of Lodge Tauranga, I.C., and is now a member of Lodge St. Andrew, S.C. He is also a member of the Auckland Yacht Club and Bowling Club.

Auckland Club. —This club was established in 1877 in a small building on its present site in Shortland Street. The property adjoining, extending through to Fort Street, was ultimately acquired and the present building was erected. The Auckland Club is a residential club, with a membership of over 250. The building is constructed of brick, and has a frontage of 66 feet in Shortland Street. On the top floor there are ten bedrooms, a large billiard room containing two tables, and card and reading rooms; the dining room, two smoking rooms, strangers' room, inner and outer hall, and offices are on the ground floor. The first members of the club were Messrs William Aitken, H. Brett, J. H. V. Coates, F. Earl, S. Hesketh, G. S. Kissling, W. R. Mowbray, and W. McLaughlin. In May, 1900, the front portion of the building was destroyed by fire, but it has since been re-built, and the extensive alterations made add greatly to the comfort and convenience of the members. The officers are: Mr. F. Earl, president; Mr W. Aitken, vice-president; Messrs G. S. Kissling, A. E. Devore, and H. F. Anderson, trustees.

Mr. Angus W. Gordon, Secretary and Manager of the Auckland Club, is a native of Aldershot, England. He has held important positions in the Civil Service, and prior to taking up his present duties in 1899, he was for some time town clerk at Onehunga.

The Auckland Working Men's Club and Literary Institute, Darby Street, Auckland.—The officers for 1991 are: Mr. Charles S. Wright, president; Mr. E. W. Page, vice-president; Mr. Peter Dignan, treasurer; Mr. Charles Chambers, secretary; Messrs A. R. Tyler, H. Coates, H. Moody, W. Harkins, C. Smith, A. L. Edwards, and J. Scott, committee. The Auckland Working Men's Club was established about 1875, when two rooms of the present building were sufficient for the use of members. The members now number over 500, and the club occupies the whole of the second and third floor of the building. A plentiful variety of periodicals and newspapers is regularly kept in the library, which is on the third floor; the second floor is divided into card, chess, and social rooms; and the billiard room contains two first-rate tables for the use of members.

Mr. Albert J. Woodley, the Manager of the Auckland Working Men's Club, is a native of Dunedin, and after leaving school served his time as a saddler. He afterwards turned his attention to hotel keeping and has occupied leading hotels in Dunedin, Ashburton, Wellington, and other towns. Mr. Woodley was appointed manager of Tattersall's Club in 1896, and held the position until he entered on his present duties in 1900.

The Masonic Institute, at which visiting Freemasons are cordially welcomed, is situated at the corner of Queen and Durham Streets. A large billiard room, fitted up with two tables, adjoins the bar; there is also a card room, and the reading room is supplied with English and Colonial papers and periodicals. The officers for 1901 are: Mr W. H. Cooper, president; Mr. W. H. Johnson, treasurer; Mr. F. Simmonds, secretary and steward.