The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
The Auckland Police District comprises all the country north of Auckland to the North Cape, and the southern boundary extends to about 150 miles south of Auckland, from the south of Kawhia on the West Coast, through the King Country, and up to the north of Tauranga harbour on the East Coast. The central police station is an imposing building situated at the corner of Princes Street and O'Rorke Street, and facing Albert Park; and there is a station in Chancery Lane facing the Magistrate's Court. The district is under the supervision of Inspector Cullen, and the district force consists of a sub-inspector, eight sergeants, six defectives, and 104 constables.
Mr. John Cullen, Inspector of Police for the district of Auckland, was born in Ireland in 1851. He joined the Royal Irish Constabulary in 1869, and remained in it until 1876, when he came to New Zealand, where he joined the Colonial Armed Constabulary. On the abolition of the provinces he was transferred to the police at Blenheim, and in 1878 was promoted to be sergeant. He was subsequently transferred successively to Dunedin, Timaru, Christchurch, Napier, Wanganui. In 1879 he was promoted to the rank of inspector, and took charge of the Nelson and Westland district. On the retirement of the late Inspector Hickson, in 1899, he was appointed to his present position.
Mr. Edward Wilson, Sub-Inspector of Police of the Auckland district, was born in Dublin, in 1854, and arrived in Auckland ten years later. He joined the Armed Constabulary in 1871, and served at New Plymouth, Wanganui, Christchurch, Akaroa, and Palmerston North. In 1899 he was transferred to his present position in Auckland.