Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]

District Reserve Corps

District Reserve Corps.

District Reserve Corps. The District Reserve Corps is composed of officers who have served a period of seven years in the Volunteers, and non-commissioned officers and men who have served as efficient volunteers for at least four years. Officers passing to the Reserve retain their rank, and are liable to be called on for active service in case of emergency, for seven years from the date of their joining. At the conclusion of that period the officers cease to be in the service, but are permitted to retain their rank and wear their uniform. Non-commissioned officers and men are permitted to remain for five years on the Reserve. The Reserve Corps is under the immediate control of the District Commanding Officer, by whom they are annually inspected. No capitation is granted by the Government, but those men who put in a quarterly drill receive twenty rounds of ammunition per drill.

Lieut.-Commander Cornelius Little, attached to the Active Reserve List, was born at Otahuhu, Auckland, in 1852. His father, who was an old settler, died at the advanced age of eighty-four. Lieut. Little has taken the keenest interest in volunteering since 1875, when he joined the late Hobson Rifles as a private. He gradually rose through every grade to the position of Senior Lieut.-Captain, and obtained a P.S. Certificate from the Council of Military Education at Wellington, which conferred the rank on the 10th of January, 1887. In consequence of the depression existing in Auckland, the Hobson Rifles disbanded in 1889, when the members presented their commander with a very handsome gold ring as a memento of their appreciation of his services and his merit as an officer. In 1890, Mr Little was elected Lieutenant of the Auckland Naval Artillery, and on the retirement of Lieutenant-Commander Parker, he was chosen to succeed that officer, the date of his commission being the 24th of April, 1893. Owing, however, to pressure of his private business, he was compelled to resign, and was placed on the Active Reserve List on the 12th of August, 1897, still retaining his former rank. The members of the Auckland Naval Artillery Volunteers showed their appreciation of his services by presenting him with a very handsome marble clock suitably inscribed. Captain Little has shown great skill as a local and interprovincial marksman, and holds the No. 2 Battalion's Gold Medal, presented by the late Major E. Isaacs in 1888. He was second for the belt and won the silver star and badge at the New Zealand Rifle Association Championship Meeting at Christchurch, when Captain White won the belt. During the same year he also won the Union Steamship Company's prize, and has numerous other trophies.

Captain Little was also connected with the Auckland Fire Brigade for eighteen years, and on his retirement, was presented with a life honorary member's certificate, and also a photographic shield of the brigade.

Hanna, photo.Lieut.-Com. C. Little.

Hanna, photo.
Lieut.-Com. C. Little.

Lieutenant George John Watson, District Reserve Corps, joined the Volunteer service in 1883, when he entered the A Battery of Field Artillery at Auckland. After two years he was transferred to the City Guards, and some three years later to the Ponsonby Naval Artillery as gunner. He obtained a commission in the company in 1892, and in April, 1900, was transferred to the District Reserve Corps. Lieutenant Watson was one of the detachment sent to Opotiki during the “Te Kooti seare” of 1888. He has always taken great interest in shooting, and also in rowing and football, having been a member of various clubs in the city. Mr. Watson is a native of Edinburgh, where he was born in 1867, and came out to the Colony in 1880.

Lieut. G. J. Watson.

Lieut. G. J. Watson.