Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]

Auckland Harbour Board

page break

Auckland Harbour Board.

Auckland Harbour. —The outer harbour of Auckland extends down the Rangitoto Channel for about six miles from the North Head or Fort Cautley, which is the northern boundary of the inner harbour. By way of Rangitoto Channel is the safest and most convenient entrance, but there are other channels to the eastward which are commonly used by the Thames and Coromandel steamers. While the whole Hauraki Gulf is well sheltered and protected from heavy seas, the inner harbour has the further special protection of the chain of islands running eastward from the North Head, and embracing Rangitoto, Motu Tapu, Motu Ihi, Waiheke, and others. Inside this chain rough seas are almost unknown, and, reasonably speaking, there is no limit to the accommodation, for all the navies of the world might find safe anchorage in the Waitemata Harbour, which is about fifteen miles long, the deep channel averaging in width about three-quarters of a mile. At low water of spring tides there is a depth of nine fathoms, shoaling in parts to five fathoms. The tide fall is considerable, being from eight to twelve feet. The channels and shoals are all clearly defined by buoys and
Callipe Dock, Auckland.

Callipe Dock, Auckland.

page 135 beacons, and powerful lights and other guides, all fully described in the “New Zealand Pilot,” provide for safe entry at all times. Efficient pilots are provided by the Harbour Board for all vessels requiring their aid; but such is the safety of all the approaches that pilotage is not compulsory. Vessels are signalled from Mount Victoria, North Shore, and still earlier, when thirty miles away, from Tiritiri lighthouse.

The principal river entering the harbour is that from which it derives its name—the Waitemata, which is so essentially tidal as to partake more of the estaury than the river, the flow of fresh water being infinitesimal. In fact, the lines of demarcation between the river and the estuary, and the estuary and the gulf, are probably more imaginary than real.

As a yachting ground no better can be found in the world, and probably there is no place in the world proportionately more devoted to that means of pleasure. High winds are particularly rare, and sheltered coves are abundant. Fish of many and excellent varieties are temptingly plentiful.

The wharfage accommodation of the Auckland harbour, if not all that might be desired, is exceedingly creditable. The old main wharf is certainly much too long, but the later development of short jetties with persistent dredging is in high favour. Even the old wharf has been in a sense shortened, for by extended reclamation on both sides of its approach, the town has been built forward so that the distance from the head of the wharf to the warehouses is much shorter now than it was formerly. Intercolonial and other steamers, which, a few years back, were obliged to berth at the long wharf, are now commonly berthed at short jetties close to the warehouses, after the manner so popular in Sydney. In fact, ships of large tonnage, drawing 24 feet, lie afloat at low water at the Quay Street jetties, where but a few years ago one could walk dry shod. To bring about this wonderful change nearly half a million cubic yards of silt has been lifted, and this has created a depth at low water spring tides, which averages 21 feet over an area of sixteen acres. Since the first Auckland jetty was constructed, where the printing offices of the Auckland “Star” now stand, a very large amount of pile-work has been accomplished, but none has been so beneficial as that which has been done in conjunction with the system of dredging. That the Harbour Board is not responsible for the errors of the past in this matter of long wharves, is well evidenced by the fact that the Queen's Wharf is much older than the Board, and that in the matter of the Railway Wharf, the Government of the day inserted a stipulation in the loan bill providing for the erection of that wharf where it now stands.

To meet the growing trade of the port, further accommodation will soon be absolutely necessary; and it is, therefore, satisfactory to know that not only are the funds available for extension works, but that the projected improvements are already taking shape. The principal works now being undertaken include the extension of the Hobson Street Wharf, to render it suitable for the largest class of ocean steamships; the erection of sheds affording ample storage for the cargo of several of these ships at one time, and of powerful cranes for lifting up to a hundred tons; several new jetties in the inner harbour, extensive dredging operations to improve the approaches to the wharves, and to increase the area of deep water berthage; and further reclamation of the shallow bays, to increase the land endowment of the Board.

Already the port has appliances and adjuncts for the conduct of an extensive commerce. On the substantial and commodious wharves, there are convenient sheds with a total cargo storage capacity of eighteen thousand tons. The wharves and sheds are well lighted with incandescent gas lamps; and that the appliances for the rapid handling of goods are fairly up to date may be inferred from the fact that the Union Company's steamers frequently discharge within twenty-four hours upwards of 2000 tons of grain and general cargo per steamer. There is a total berthage accommodation of over 15,000 feet, and there is a depth at the main wharves of 26 feet at low water, ordinary spring tides. Dredging operations are now (1900) being proceeded with, and it is the intention of the Board to have a depth of 30 feet at low water. The railway trucks run to the end of the railway wharf; and as the export stores for frozen meat, butter, etc., are adjacent to and connected with the railway wharf, the ocean going steamers are loaded with rapidity. The city water pipes are laid down on all the wharves, and this enables the Board to supply pure water at low rates.

The graving docks of Auckland are worthy of more than a passing notice. When the Board decided upon the construction of the second and larger of these docks, the wisdom of the step was openly questioned; but events have shown that, directly and indirectly, the enterprise is likely to be well rewarded. Auckland has always been practically the headquarters in New Zealand of her Majesty's Navy, but she has recently been placed on a much more definite footing in that connection. Overtures were made to the Board by the Imperial Government for the complete equipment of the Calliope Dock, and the erection on the adjacent lands of the necessary buildings, machinery and appliances for repairing and refitting her Majesty's ships. The Imperial authorities, by subsidising the Dock, are entitled to first call on the use of the establishment; but, subject to this condition, the Board is at full liberty to dock and repair merchant ships or foreign warships. It is expected that this arrangement will prove in many ways beneficial to the port and city of Auckland.

The Calliope Dock is said to be one of the largest in the world. It is 525 feet long, by a breadth from coping to coping of 110 feet, narrowing to 80 feet at the gate, and the depth of water on the sill is 33 feet. It would comfortably accommodate the largest warship afloat, and two warships of small dimensions find ample room at the same time. This was proved at the opening of the dock in 1888, when the “Calliope” and the “Diamond” were both in it. The Calliope
Auckland Harbour Board Offices.

Auckland Harbour Board Offices.

page 136 Dock is on the North Shore, about a quarter of a mile west of the Devonport Wharf.

The Auckland Graving Dock, which is situated between the Harbour Board's splendid offices and the Hobson Street Wharf, is exceedingly convenient in every way. Its length is 300 feet, and it will accommodate any vessel with a draught not exceeding 13 feet. Auckland's numerous fleet of steam and sailing vessels keep this dock constantly employed.

The dues charged for the use of the docks are made as low as possible, in conformity with the general policy of the Board in reducing all shipping charges to a minimum. Warships of every nationality are admitted free, and all mail steamers under contract have recently been placed on the same footing. The splendid endowments of the Board have made this policy of low charges possible, and it is expected that ere long the port will be absolutely free. Already the charges are lower than those of any port in the colony. For the very liberal endowment of the Board much credit is due to the memory of Sir George Grey. The whole foreshore of the harbour, from the Bastion Rock to the Watchman on the Auckland side, and on the North Shore from Fort Cautley to Kauri Point, including all the bays and estuaries, and totalling some thousands of acres of the most valuable land in and about the city, is the property of the Board. The revenue derived is already considerable, and rapidly increasing; and its prospective value is enormous. All the lower portion of the City between the wharves and Customs Street, besides a good portion between the latter and Fort Street, is included in the Board's endowments. From the portions of this already leased an income of £12,000 a year is derived, and fresh leases are constantly being taken up. Fifty years is the usual term of lease, and on expiring the Board grants a compensation to the extent of half the value of buildings then on the ground. As applications for the reclaimed land come in, further reclamations are being made with the silt dredged from the harbour, so it will be many years before there can be any scarcity of building sites even in the very heart of the town. With such wonderful power of improving its income, and increasing the value of its landed estate, the debts of the Board seem particularly light.

The Board has borrowed in various sums a total of £410,000, but of this sum over £50,000 has already been paid off by means of the Sinking Fund. By the close of the year 1900, the indebtedness will stand at less than £350,000, and the following decade will see the debt below a quarter of a million. The annual payment for interest amounts at present to £23,400, including Sinking Fund, but that amount will (1900) shortly be reduced by over £10,000.

For the expenditure of this money, the Board has much to show. The docks cost £200,000; the wharves and jetties, £100,000; dredging, £40,000; reclaiming and acquiring land, £60,000; and offices, sheds, and appliances have absorbed the balance.

The port of Auckland must ever be a most important shipping centre. The South Sea Islands and San Francisco trade must rapidly increase, and the value of North Auckland as a fruit growing district must be more fully recognised every year. These and the rapid spread of such industries as sugar-refining, ship building, etc., must all tell in Auckland's favour; and if the feeding of sheep
View of Queen Street Wharves, Auckland.

View of Queen Street Wharves, Auckland.

page 137 on gorse proves successful, wool should soon be a leading article of export.

In 1889, there arrived 2441 sailing vessels and 3756 steamers, with a total tonnage of 980,816 tons, and the revenue of the Board for the same year was £46,089 16s 3d.

Up to the year 1871 the Provincial Government had charge of the business of the port of Auckland, but in that year the Auckland Harbour Board was created, and the revenue of the Board in 1872 was £12,498 2s 11d. The Board consists of thirteen members, who are elected by various interests for a period of two years. The chairman is elected from the members annually. The present members who hold office until February, 1901, are:—Messrs W. J. Napier and A. R. Harris, appointed by the Government; Messrs J. T. Julian, A. Kidd, J. Stichbury, and C. Grey, elected from and by the City Council of Auckland; Mr. J. Thomas, elected from and by the Borough Council of Parnell; Mr. J. C. Macky, elected from and by the Borough Council of Devonport; Mr. J. H. Witheford (chairman), elected from and by the Borough Council of Birkenhead; Mr. W. J. W. Philson, elected from and by the Auckland Chamber of Commerce; and Messrs C. C. Dacre, A. Alison, and M. Niccol, elected by shipowners and payers of dues. The officers of the Board are:—Mr. J. M. Brigham, secretary and treasurer; Captain A. Duder, harbourmaster and dockmaster; Mr. E. W. Burgess, traffic manager; Mr. J. Taylor, foreman of works; Mr. C. La Roche, chief draughtsman; and Captain C. Sainty, pilot and deputy-harbour-master.

The Harbour Board offices, which are situated on the reclaimed ground at the foot of Albert Street, are the handsomest in the colony. They are also exceedingly large and commodious, and occupy a block entirely detached. A neat iron fence surrounds the building, and there is a short tower above the third storey. The ground floor is occupied by the secretary and his staff of clerks, and the upper floor by other officers of the Board. All the rooms are lofty, well lighted and well ventilated.

Swinging dolphins for the adjustment of ships' compasses have been placed in a sheltered bay about six miles from the wharves, and free from all local attractions.

The Sailors' Home, which has been so liberally endowed, through the generous bequest of the late Mr. Edward Costley, stands on a fine site specially set apart for it by the Harbour Board.

Mr. Joseph H. Witheford, M.H.R., Chairman of the Auckland Harbour Board, represents Birkenhead on the Board. He is referred to in another article as one of the Auckland members of the House of Representatives. Mr. Witheford has been instrumental in largely developing the Auckland goldfields. He resides at “Halcyon,” Northcote, Auckland.

Mr. Alexander Alison was recently elected by the importers, shippers, and payers of dues as one of their representatives on the Auckland Harbour Board; he was also a member of the Board in former years. He is described in another article as the managing director of the Devonport Steam Ferry Company, Limited.

Mr. Charles Craven Dacre represents importers, shippers, and payers of dues on the Auckland Harbour Board. He is a grain merchant in Queen Street, Auckland and has his private residence at Devonport. Mr. Dacre is a son of the late Captain Dacre,
Devonport Ferry Co.'s T, With Railway Wharf in Background.

Devonport Ferry Co.'s T, With Railway Wharf in Background.

page 138 who was well known in the early days of Auckland, and was formerly of the Royal Navy, in which he was mess mate with Captain Marryatt, the celebrated novelist. Mr. Dacre was born in Sydney, New South Wales, in 1848, and came to Auckland with his father in 1859, by the barque “City of Melbourne.” After receiving his primary education in Auckland, Mr. Dacre went to England and studied with a view to joining the Army, but changed his mind and entered the Royal Agricultural College, where he studied for some years. He returned to New Zealand in 1870, and started farming at Whangaparoa, where he successfully kept sheep for over six years. Unfortunately scab then made its appearance in the district, and the disease made such inroads in his flock that Mr. Dacre was compelled to give up sheepfarming. He then removed to Auckland, where he and Mr. Hendry started as grain merchants, under the style of Hendry and Dacre. After about four years Mr. Dacre retired from the firm, to enter on a partnership in the well-known business of E. Mitchelson and Co., gum and grain merchants. In four years, he retired from this firm also, and started his present business. Mr. Dacre was elected a member of the Devonport Highways Road Board in 1880, and was a painstaking member for three years. He was elected as member of the Harbour
Hanna, photo.Mr. C. C. Dacre.

Hanna, photo.
Mr. C. C. Dacre.

Board in 1900. Mr. Dacre has been connected with the Auckland Regatta for over a quarter of a century, during the greater part of the period as honorary secretary. He has rowed for the Auckland Rowing Club for about ten years, during which he has not been beaten. As a footballer, he was one of the representative players of Auckland, and a member of the first Rugby football club formed in the city. He played in the first interprovincial game held in Auckland, against Canterbury, whose men were beaten, and the match was the first win on the banner of the Auckland Rugby Union. In 1867, during the period of his education in England, Mr. Dacre was one of the founders of the Association game, in which he represented the county of Surrey. He was also well known as a cricketer in England, and was offered a seat in the Surrey team in 1868 by Mr. Noble, a gentleman player, well known at that time. While in England Mr. Dacre won the Royal Agricultural College Victor Ludorum Medal, awarded to the winner of all round sports. Mr. Dacre was one of the founders of the Takapuna Jockey Club, and was secretary of the North Shore Native Regatta and Aquatic Carnival, held in 1898. As a yachtsman he stands in the front rank, owning the yacht “Ripple,” one of the crack boats of Auckland during her time. Mr. Dacre has been a volunteer officer for eight years, captain of
Auckland Dock and Hobson Street Wharf.

Auckland Dock and Hobson Street Wharf.

page 139 the Devonport Naval Artillery, and was senior lieutenant of the Ponsonby Navals, of which he is still an honorary lieutenant. During his residence in England at the time of the Fenian scare in 1868, Mr. Dacre acted as special constable in London after the Clerkenwell explosion.

Mr. Charles Grey sits on the Harbour Board as one of the Members for the City Council, and is referred to elsewhere as a City Councillor, and as a partner in the firm of Messrs John Grey and Sons.

Mr. A. R. Harris, J.P., of Huntingdon Farm, East Tamaki, sits on the Auckland Harbour Board as one of the members appointed by the Government. He is a son of
Hanna, photo.Mr. A. R. Harris.

Hanna, photo.
Mr. A. R. Harris.

the late Captain Harris, and brother of the Hon. Major Harris, M.L.C., and was born at Wellington, New Zealand, in 1848. Mr. Harris was educated at East Tamaki. On leaving school he went to the Thames goldfields, where he remained for three years learning the important lesson that gold seeking and gold finding are widely different things; and he then determined to enter on the less alluring but more certain business of planting potatoes and rearing sheep and cattle. He secured two farms; one was at Waiuku, and the other was the fine estate, where he now resides. He farmed these properties with great success; but owing to the distance between the two places, he gave up the Waiuku property after holding it for fifteen years, and devoted his whole attention to Huntingdon farm, which is now one of the finest places in the neighbourhood of Auckland. Mr. Harris began his public career in 1880 by being elected a member of the East Tamaki Road Board, of which he was chairman for ten years; he was chairman of the East Tamaki school committee for fifteen years. He has long taken a keen interest in racing. At one time he was chairman of the committee of the Otahuhu Racing Club, and he has been judge for the Otahuhu Trotting Club since the original club was merged into it, and he has also been judge for the Auckland Trotting Club since its initiation. Mr. Harris owns one of the finest private race-courses in the North Island, and with great liberality he throws it open free, to the public, for the East Tamaki races. Mr. Harris has never, during his connection with racing, laid a wager or put money on the totalisator, although he has raced horses with more or less success. He has been a Justice of the Peace for twenty years, and in 1900 the Government appointed him a country member of the Auckland Harbour Board. He was a member of the Franklin Licensing Committee for several years, and member of the Auckland Board of Education for three years, but was compelled to resign owing to his private and public duties. Mr. Harris has for years been a member of the Franklin Agricultural Association, for over fifteen years a member of the Auckland Agricultural Association, judge at the Whangarei Agricultural Show for thirteen out of fourteen years, and has acted as a judge at every agricultural show in the provincial district Mr. Harris has only once been beaten as a candidate for a public position, but at the election following his defeat he was returned at the head of the poll. He is a member of the Pakuranga Hunt Club, in which he has hunted twenty-four years continuously. Mr. Harris is a cordial supporter of athletic sports and exercises, and was for some years a volunteer in the Otahuhu Cavalry. He has often been asked to stand for Parliament, but prefers to spend his time in comparative retirement, and in the enjoyment of the confidence and friendship of those with whom he is associated. Mr. Harris married Miss Parche, and has four daughters and two sons.

Mr. J. Thomas Julian has for several years been a member of the Auckland Harbour Board, on which (1900) he represents the City Council. He has taken an active part in public affairs both in the Old Country and in Auckland, and is fully referred to as one of the ex-members of the Auckland City Council.

Mr. Alfred Kidd, Proprietor of the Commercial Hotel, Auckland, has long been a member of the Auckland Harbour Board, on which he represents the City Council Mr. Kidd is described as a City Councillor in another article.

Mr. Joseph Cochrane Macky, who has held a seat on the Auckland Harbour Board since 1898, as representative of the Borough of Devonport, was born in Auckland in 1855, educated at the local High School, and gained his early experience in the soft goods trade with Messrs T. H. Hall and Co. Subsequently he was for about twelve years with Messrs Archibald Clark and Sons. In 1882 Mr. Macky became one of the founders of the well known firm of Macky, Logan, Steen and Co., and is still closely identified with it. He became a councillor of the Borough of Devonport in 1892, and Mayor in 1896, and was re-elected Mayor successively in 1897–1898 and 1899, but retired at the close of his fourth consecutive term at the end of 1900.

Mr. William J. Napier, M.H.R., A Member and ex-Chairman of the Auckland Harbour Board, is a Government member of the Board, with which he has been identified for several years. He is well-known in Auckland as a barrister and solicitor. Mr. Napier is referred to in the political section of this work as one of the Auckland members in the House of Representatives.

Mr. Malcolm Niccol, J.P., has for nearly a quarter of a century been a Member of the Auckland Harbour Board, of which he has been several times chairman. He now sits on the Board as a representative of the importers, shippers, and payers of dues. He has been especially noted for his connection with the extension of shipping appliances. Mr. Niccol was born in Auckland in the year 1844, and is the second son of the late Mr. Henry Niccol, the well-known and widely respected shipbuilder. Educated at Mr. John Gorrie's school, he found employment on leaving with Messrs. Cruickshank, Smart and Co., merchants and ironmongers, and, after spending five years with that firm, set up for himself as a shipchandler, shipbroker, and agent. As the result of five years' experience Mr. Niccol discontinued the first mentioned branch, but still carries on the business of shipbroker and agent. For the greater part of his life Mr. Niccol has been a resident of Devonport, North Shore, and he may be said to have been more or less mixed up with every public and social function concerning that district. He was Devonport's first mayor, and occupied that position for five years consecutively. For many years he was a member of the school committee, of the licensing committee, and of the committee of management of the Presbyterian Church. Other offices held by him include the presidency and vice-presidency of the
Mr. M. Niccol.

Mr. M. Niccol.

Devonport Bowling Club, Chess Club, Literary Society, and many more. Mr. Niccol was the prime mover in the establishment of the New Zealand Natives' Association, page 140 and was honoured with the first presidency. He was a member also of the Shakespeare Club. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was for many years chairman of the Auckland Regatta Committee. During the Walkato War he took part with the Volunteers, being under fire in 1863 at Wairoa South. In Freemasonry Mr. Niccol has risen to the highest office in the gift of the brethren—that of most worshipful grand master of the Colony. In this connection reference is made to him on page 412 of the Wellington Volume of the “Cyclopedia.” He is a member of the Supreme Council of England, his mother lodge being St. Andrews, No. 8, N.Z.C., of which he was Master for many years. Mr. Niccol has been thrice married; in 1877 to the eldest daughter of the late Mr. William Atkin, printer, of Auckland, who died in 1882 leaving six children; in 1884 to the daughter of Mr. Woodman, of Plymouth, England, who died in 1894 leaving three children; and in 1896 to the daughter of Mr. F. J. Von Sturmer, of Hamilton. Mr. Niccol is a visiting justice to the Auckland Gaol, and chairman for about thirty mining companies.

Mr. William John Willmet Philson, who represents the Chamber of Commerce on the Auckland Harbour Board, is the third son of the late Dr. Philson. Mr. Philson was born in Auckland in 1854; and was educated at the Church of England Grammar School under the Rev. Dr. Kinder. On leaving school he entered the office of Messrs Must and Co., merchants, of Auckland, and some years later, that of Mr. H. B. Morton, general merchant, with whom he remained for about eleven years. He left this firm in 1883 on receiving his present appointment as manager of the Colonial Sugar Refining Co., Ltd., when it began operations in Auckland. Mr. Philson has been for six years on the Cathedral parish vestry, and was for a number of years on the committee of management of the St. Stephen's Native School, Parnell. He married a daughter of the late Mr. Joseph Hargreaves, and has three sons and three daughters.

Mr. James Stichbury has, as one of the Representatives of the City Council, been a member of the Auckland Harbour Board for several years, and has also been identified with other local bodies. Mr. Stichbury is referred to in another article as a member of the Auckland City Council.

Mr. Joseph Thornes has (1900) occupied a seat on the Auckland Harbour Board for the past three years as the representative of Parnell. Mr. Thornes is well known in Auckland as an auctioneer, and land and estate agent.

Mr. J. McCrea Brigham, Secretary and Treasurer of the Auckland Harbour Board, was born in Auckland. He entered Messrs Cruickshank, Smart, and Company's office shortly after leaving school, and afterwards became office manager for Messrs T. and S. Morrin. In 1872 he was appointed secretary and treasurer to the Auckland Harbour Board, and has held those offices continuously since that time. On the completion of his twenty-fifth year of service, Mr. Brigham received a flattering illuminated testimonial on vellum from the Board, and he recently received a vote of thanks from the Board, accompanied by a bonus for the manner in which he acted as its representative in London,
Hanna, photo.Mr. J. Mc C. Brigham.

Hanna, photo.
Mr. J. Mc C. Brigham.

in bringing to a successful completion the agreement with the Admiralty, in relation to the equipment of Calliope Dock. Mr. Brigham is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, and of the Institute of Secretaries, of London.
Mr. Charles Augustus La Roche, Clerk and Draughtsman to the Auckland Harbour Board, was born in Auckland in 1866, and is a son of Mr. Charles La Roche, a well-known Auckland resident. Educated at St. David's School, under Mr. John Edwards (now of Mangere), and finally at the Auckland College and Grammar School, Mr. La Roche joined the staff of the Harbour Board as a cadet in 1882, and seven years later was promoted to his present position. An ardent footballer, Mr. La Roche has on several occasions travelled with the Auckland representative teams on their tours through the Colony. He is a past master of the Remuera Masonic Lodge, No. 1710. In 1887 Mr. La Roche was married to Miss Rowley, daughter of Mr. Thomas Rowley, of Auckland, and has two children.

Mr. John Taylor, Foreman of Works for the Auckland Harbour Board, has been in the service of the Board for about a quarter of a century. The son of Mr. J. Taylor, mechanical engineer, the subject of this notice was born in 1843 at Newcastle, New South Wales, where also he was educated and learnt the trade of a carpenter and joiner. He came to Auckland in 1863, and was engaged for five years in the building trade. In 1873 he joined the service of the Harbour Board as carpenter, and after seven years became Foreman of Works. Mr. Taylor is a Master Mason, his mother lodge being St. Andrews, No. 418, S.C. In Odd-fellowship, he is a member of Lodge Fountain of Friendship. Mr. Taylor was married in 1865 to a daughter of Mr. W. J. Wright, of Auckland, and has four sons and four daughters.

Captain Albert Duder, Harbour Master for the port of Auckland, is a member of a well-known Auckland family. He is a son of the late Mr. Thomas Duder, for so many years keeper of the Mt. Victoria flagstaff, who arrived in this Colony in 1840 per ship “Buffalo,” wrecked in Mercury Bay, and who was master of the first revenue cutter in New Zealand. Captain Duder was born at the North Shore in 1856, and was educated at the Auckland College and Grammar School. He spent his two first years of sea ife in the “Hydaspes” under Captain Babot, now the well-known Marine Superintendent of the Shaw Savill and Albion Company in New Zealand. His third year was served in the “May Queen,” afterwards lost on a trip to the Islands, his fourth found him on the ship “City of Auckland” whose mast may still be seen high out of the sand at the mouth of the Otaki river, near Wellington, and the fifth he spent in the Mediterranean and Baltic seas. For some three years he was on the New Zealand Shipping Company's sailing ship “Mataura,” and he then entered the service of the Union Steamship Company with whom he remained five years, being chiefly on the “Rotomahana.” Beginning as third officer, he rose to the position of master, and brought out from Glasgow the S.S. ‘Pukaki,” the first steamer that came from Home to this Colony without calling at any port on the way. The next period of five years was with the Huddart Parker Company as chief officer and master of the “Ellngamite,” “Newcastle,” “Nemesis,” “Lindus,” and “Wendouree.” Captain Duder was appointed deputy harbour master in 1893 and two years later was promoted to his present post. He is a member of the Auckland Bowling Club, and for the year 1895 was page 141 president of the Auckland College Old Boys' Association. Captain Duder was married in 1887 to Miss Grant, daughter of the late Captain Grant, of Wellington, and has a family of three children.

Mr. Edward William Burgess is the Traffic Manager of the Auckland Harbour Board, and has held the position since 1871.

Capt. Cardinal Sainty, Pilot of the Auckland Harbour Board, has held the position for over twenty years.

Auckland Harbour With Rangitoto in The Distance.

Auckland Harbour With Rangitoto in The Distance.