The civic government of Auckland has had numerous ups and downs, and some of the ablest men of the city have taken part in its administration. Counting the fourteen gentlemen who were members of the first Council in 1851, and excluding the Mayors elected since 1875, and also the eighteen members of the present Council, ninety-five citizens of Auckland have served on the City Council. The names suggest many associations connected not only with Auckland but the colony, and show that Aucklanders cannot say that the able and prominent men amongst them have been indifferent to the proper administration of the city's affairs.
The Hon. P. Dignan
was a Member of the first corporation of Auckland, and was elected an alderman of the City Council in November, 1851. Mr. Dignan is referred to elsewhere as an ex-member of the House of Representatives and of the Legislative Council.
was a Member of the City Board of Commissioners, which was merged into the first City Council. He carried on business as a storekeeper, and was for some time chief of the Auckland Fire Brigade. He died at Tauranga.
Mr. Charles Atkin
was a Member of the first Council in 1871, after the declaration of the city under the Municipal Corporations Act of 1867, and he also sat in the City Council for North Ward from 1889 till 1895. He is elsewhere referred to as an old colonist.
Mr. Frederick Bugden,
who was an old colonist, carried on business as a builder in Auckland. He was a member of the first City Council, and previously of the City Board.
Mr. C. S. George,
sometime a solicitor in Auckland, was a member of the City Board, which was merged into the first City Council. He also represented Grafton Ward in 1882–83.
Mr. Charles Hampton
was a Member of the City Board of Commissioners, and also a member of the first Auckland City Council. He was at one time a tailor, and carried on business in Queen Street.
Mr. Thomas Macready
was a Member of the City Board of Commissioners, and of the first Auckland City Council. He was also a councillor from 1873 to 1875. Mr. Macready, who was a jeweller, built the Star Hotel, Auckland, of which he was for some time proprietor.
Mr. James Smart,
who is still (1900) connected with the firm of Messrs T. and S. Morrin, was a member of the first City Council and of the previous Board of Commissioners. In the early days he was in the employment of Messrs Brown and Campbell, and afterwards a member of the firm of Messrs Cruickshank and Smart, merchants.
Mr. George Staines,
who in the old days was commonly called the “Poor Man's Friend,” was a member of the City Board of Commissioners, and of the first Auckland City Council.
Mr. Benjamin Tonks,
who was a Member of the City Board of Commissioners, which merged into the first City Council, is referred to as an ex-mayor.
Mr. John Cosgrave
occupied a seat in the City Council from 1871 to 1873, and from 1874 to 1879. He was at one time a draper, and carried on business in Queen Street, in the premises now (1900) occupied by Mr. J. Iredale, draper. Mr. Cosgrave went to California, where he died in 1890.
Mr. James McMullen Dargaville,
who is elsewhere referred to as an ex-member of the House of Representatives, was a member of the City Council from 1871 to 1884.
Mr. Richard Hobbs,
J.P., was a member of the Auckland City Council from 1871 to 1873. He is elsewhere referred to as an ex-member of the House of Representatives.
Mr. George Holdship
was a very old colonist, and carried on business as a timber merchant. He was a member of the City Council from 1871 to 1876, and from 1885 to 1886. Mr. Holdship now resides in Sydney.
Mr. W. J. Hurst
was elected to the Auckland City Council on the 10th of September, 1871, and sat continuously till September, 1876. He is elsewhere referred to as Mayor of the City for 1877.
Mr. Henry Isaacs,
who is elsewhere referred to as an ex-mayor, was a member of the Auckland City Council from 1871 to 1874, and again in 1875.
Mr. Stannus Jones
was a Member of the Auckland City Council from 1871 to 1874. He was formerly an auctioneer in Auckland, but now resides in France. It was he who induced the Corporation to lay out the Western Park.
Mr. F. L. Prime,
who is elsewhere referred to as an ex-mayor, was elected to the City Council in 1871, and served altogether for six years.
Mr. Thomas Williams,
who was a member of the Auckland City Council from 1871 to 1874, and occupied
Mr. T. Williams.
a seat on the Auckland Harbour Board in 1874, was born in Plymouth, England, on the 24th May, 1819, and died on the 2nd of August, 1889. He was brought up to the trade of a sailmaker and joined H.M.S. “Ringdove” at an early age. At the expiration of his time Mr. Williams went to America, and established himself in business in Prince Edward's Island. Owing to the rigour of the winter climate, however, he was obliged to leave that colony, and landed in New Zealand about 1862. Mr. Williams lost no time in setting up in business. He leased a large section of land at the corner of Fort Street—where now stands the Victoria Arcade—and built large premises for himself, which he occupied till 1877, when misfortunes drove him to retire into private life. A quiet life, however, did not suit him, and he determined to retrieve his lost fortunes by again starting in business, but, again meeting with ill-success, he was soon compelled to relinquish his efforts. A man full of vigour, and at one time a picture of health, the worry of repeated misfortunes gradually told upon him, and he survived only three years after his second retirement. Mr. Williams was a trustee of St. Matthew's church for many years, and a well-known and popular member of the Masonic craft. He left a widow and daughter to mourn the loss of a loving husband and father.
Mr. H. Brett
was a Member of the Auckland City Council from 1874 to 1878. He is referred to as an ex-mayor.
Mr. William Buchanan
was first elected to a seat in the Auckland City Council in 1874, and sat as a member until 1876; he was also a member from 1878 to 1880, and in 1886–87. Mr. Buchanan carried on business as a jeweller. He was a trustee of the Auckland Savings Bank, and died in 1900, leaving a family of four sons and one daughter.
Captain William Crush Daldy
was a Member of the Auckland City Council from 1874 to 1876. An account of his life is given in an article which deals with him as an ex-member of the House of Representatives.
Mr. Gustav Von Der Heyde,
an Old Colonist, and at one time connected with the firm of Messrs Henderson and Macfarlane, was a member of the City Council from 1875 to 1877. He was at one time Consul for Germany, and married a daughter of Mr. Henderson.
Mr. Edward Isaacs
was a Member of the Auckland City Council from 1875 to 1879. He is referred to elsewhere as an old colonist.
Mr. Richard Dickson,
who was elected to a seat in the Auckland City Council in 1876, was born in Tyrone, Ireland, in 1829, and at an early age went to America, where he followed the trade of a cabinet-maker. He returned to the Old Country in 1850, and two years later sailed for Australia. After spending three years in Sydney and Melbourne he came to Auckland and established himself in the building trade. It was he who erected the New Zealand Insurance Company's Buildings, the Bank of New Zealand, the Lorne Street Hall, Tyrone Buildings, the Museum, and other noteworthy places. He was associated with the Oddfellows for many years, and took an active interest in St. Matthew's Church. Mr. Dickson was contractor for the Patea Breakwater, and was accidentally killed whilst working at the contract in 1879.
Mr. Thomas Taylor Masefield
was a Member of the City Council from 1876 to 1878, and from 1882 to 1886. He was re-elected in 1898, and is elsewhere referred to as a present councillor.
Mr. W. R. Waddel,
referred to elsewhere as an ex-mayor of Auckland, represented the North Ward in the City Council from 1876 to 1883.
Mr. A. Fleming,
who carried on business as a timber merchant in Auckland, was a member of the City Council from 1877 to 1884.
Mr. David Goldie
was a Member of the Auckland City Council in 1877–78, also from 1879 to 1882, and from 1884 to 1891. Mr. Goldie is described elsewhere as an ex-member of the House of Representatives, and as the present Mayor of Auckland (1900).
Mr. J. Morton,
at one time an auctioneer in Auckland, was a member of the City Council in 1877–78.
Mr. John Hay
was at one time a partner of the firm of Hay and Hunningham, drapers, in Queen Street. He studied medicine, and afterwards went to Australia, where he inherited considerable wealth. Mr. Hay was a member of the City Council in 1878–79.
The Hon. Thomas Thompson
was a Member of the Auckland City Council from 1878 to 1884. He is referred to on another page as an ex-member of the House of Representatives, and full particulars of his career are given on page 1494 of the Wellington volume of the Cyclopedia of New Zealand.
Mr. Graves Aickin
sat as a Member of the Auckland City Council from 1879 to 1888. He is referred to in another article as the newly-elected member for Grafton Ward.
who served as a City Councillor from 1879 to 1891, is elsewhere referred to as an ex-member of the House of Representatives, and as an ex-mayor.
Mr. L. D. Nathan,
of the well-known firm of L. D. Nathan and Co., sat as a member for the East Ward in the City Council in 1879–80.
Mr. W. J. Offer
represented the South Ward in the Auckland City Council from 1879 to 1882. He was a boot and shoe manufacturer, and carried on business in Queen Street.
Mr. E. Hemus
was elected a Member of the Auckland City Council in 1880, and sat until 1882 for the East Ward.
Mr. Moses Montague,
sometime a jeweller in Auckland, represented the North Ward in the City Council from 1880 to 1886.
Mr. Andrew Bell,
A well-known merchant of Auckland, was a member for Grafton Ward in the City Council in 1882–83. He was for a number of years an elder of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church.
Mr. A. Boardman
was a Member of the City Council in 1882, and he is referred to elsewhere as an ex-mayor.
Mr. J. H. Burns,
who represented the Karangahape Ward in the City Council from 1882 to 1886, was a Major in the Volunteer Artillery.
Mr. James Dacre,
auctioneer for Messrs Cochrane and Sons, was a member of the Auckland City Council from 1882 to 1884, and represented the Ponsonby Ward.
Mr. A. E. T. Devore,
of the firm of Messrs Devore and Cooper, solicitors, represented Ponsonby Ward in the City Council from 1882 to 1886; and is elsewhere referred to as an ex-mayor.
Mr. Henry Thomas Garratt,
East Street, Auckland, was born in Leicester, England, in 1844. He is a son of Mr. John Garratt, of Elmsdown House, Humberstone, was educated in Sheffield, and came to the Colony in 1866, by the ship “Electric.” After settling at Auckland Mr. Garratt took a very active part in all questions affecting the Karangahape district in which he resided, and when the proposal to form it into a separate borough was taken in hand, he with a few others strongly opposed it, and was called upon by the Government to appear before a Commission consisting of Mr. Barstow, R.M., and Mr. D. Tole, to prove the statements he had made in reference to some fictitious signatures. The result of this was that the proclamation for the borough was refused, and the ratepayers decided to become incorporated with the city. At the next ensuing election in September, 1882, Mr. Garratt was elected to a seat in the Auckland City Council, as representative for Karangahape Ward, and he then headed a poll of seven candidates, amongst whom were Dr. Wallace and the chairman of the old Highway
Board, Major Burns. He sat continuously for six years, when he was defeated. In 1890 he was again returned for the same ward, and again sat for six years, or two terms. At the election of 1896, however, he lost his seat by the casting vote of the Returning Officer. While in the council Mr. Garratt was a warm advocate of drainage, the extension of the water supply, and the maintenance of the C.D. Act, and also advocated the allocation of loans to the wards on a legitimate and sensible basis. As a member of the Hospital Board, of the inquiry committee of which he was chairman, Mr. Garratt did useful work, in connection with which the special study that he had given to hospital management stood him in good stead. He was also chairman of the Karangahape Licensing Bench, and was a member of the Amalgamated Licensing Bench. He holds the Commission of Peace. In 1887 Mr. Garratt stood unsuccessfully for election to the House of Representatives. He is a prominent member of the Ancient Order of Foresters, and for the past twenty years has held the position of district secretary of the Auckland District A.O.F. In 1895 he was sent as a delegate to the High Court at Brighton, England, with a view to settling grievances that existed, and he successfully accomplished his object. Mr. Garratt has always taken great interest in Friendly Society work, and was the means of originating and promoting the Friendly Societies' Conference, which is now a very useful and well-recognised body in Auckland. He is also a member of the Scottish Constitution of the Masonic Order.
Mr. George Harper
is a well-known retired merchant, of Auckland, and represented the East Ward in the Auckland City Council from 1882 to 1884. Mr. Harper resides in Bleazard's Road, Mount Eden.
Mr. E. A. Mackechnie,
of Messrs Mackechnie and Nicholson, solicitors, sat in the City Council for Grafton Ward, from 1882 to 1885. He is well known as a man of literary tastes.
Mr. Frank Phillips,
A partner of the firm of W. Phillips and Son, referred to elsewhere in this volume, was a member of the City Council from 1882 to 1884, when he represented the South Ward; also from 1886 to 1888 as a member for the Grafton Ward.
Mr. R. Stevenson,
who represented the Karangahape Ward in the City Council from 1882 to 1884, and also in 1885–6, was at one time a grecer in Newton Road. He is a student of astronomy.
Mr. La Roche
was elected to a seat in the City Council in 1883, and represented Grafton Ward till 1888. He is a builder and house painter.
for some time a builder and contractor in Auckland, was elected a member of the City Council in 1884, and represented the North Ward till 1886.
Mr. Edward Cooper
represented the Ponsonby Ward in the Auckland City Council from 1884 to 1892. He practised at one time as a solicitor in Auckland.
Mr. Peter Dignan,
who represented the North Ward in the City Council form 1884 to 1897, is fully referred to as an ex-mayor of Auckland.
Mr. John Henry Field,
who was born in Dublin on the 30th of April, 1836, and died on the 5th of July, 1896, represented Ponsonby Ward. He received his education
at the Blue Coat School of his native place. His time was taken up in various occupations prior to leaving for Auckland, where he landed early in 1867 by the ship “Siam.” He was engaged in teaching for the greater part of that year under the late Dr. Kidd, and then he established himself in Upper Queen Street as a general printer, finally removing to Albert Street in 1873 to premises in Masefield's Buildings, immediately opposite those occupied by the firm of J. H. Field and Co., and where the business is now carried on by Mr. Field's son under that style. The decreased gentleman was for some time a member of the Ponsonby Highway Board, and was its last chairman. He was a director of the Auckland Gas Company for about twelve months prior to his death. In church matters Mr. Field always took a prominent part, being an elder of St. Stephen's Presbyterian church for many years. He was for some time one of the trustees for the Ponsonby Hall, and served on the school committee for many years. His writings on politics in the local papers made him popularly known and universally respected. His end was hastened by the breaking of a blood vessel, the real cause being hæmaplegia and paralysis of the side. Mr. Field left a widow and a family of eight children, four sons and four daughters.
Mr. James Job Holland
was elected a Member of the Auckland City Council in 1884, and served for nine years. He is referred to elsewhere as an ex-member of the House of Representatives, and also as an ex-mayor of Auckland.
Mr. Alfred Kidd
was first elected a Member of the Auckland City Council in 1884. Four years later he resigned, but in 1892, he was re-elected, and has since sat continuously. He is referred to as a present councillor.
who sat as a Member for Karangahape Ward in the City Council in 1884–85, was for some time proprietor of the Rising Sun Hotel, Karangahape Road, Auckland.
Mr. John Henry Upton
was elected in 1884 to a seat in the Auckland City Council, and afterwards became Mayor. He is referred to as an ex-mayor.
Mr. John Waymouth,
the founder and senior partner of the firm of Waymouth and Son, public accountants, was a well-known and highly respected citizen. He represented the South Ward in the Auckland City Council from 1884 to 1886. Mr. Waymouth died in December, 1892.
Mr. D. F. Evans
occupied a seat in the City Council for the Ponsonby Ward from 1885 to 1890. At that time, he carried on business as an auctioneer at the corner of Queen and Wyndham Streets.
Mr. J. McCosh Clark,
who is referred to as an ex-mayor, represented Grafton Ward in the City Council in 1886–87.
Mr. Charles Davies
represented Karangahape Ward in the City Council from 1886 till 1890. He was at one time a merchant in Queen Street.
Mr. John Trenwith,
who represented Karangahape Ward in the City Council from 1886 till 1899, was born at Penzance, Cornwall, England, in 1826. Educated in his native town, he learned the trade of a bootmaker with his father, the late Mr. John Trenwith—an old established
bootmaker in Cornwall. Coming to New Zealand by the ship “Lancashire Witch” in 1865, he worked at his trade in Auckland for five years, starting in business in 1870. Mr. Trenwith has developed a large trade as a boot manufacturer and importer, and claims to be the oldest wholesale boot manufacturer now in business in the Colony. His factory in Wakefield Street is in the charge of his sons, under his supervision. Mr. Trenwith first became a member of the City Council in 1886, and was for some years a member of the Auckland Harbour Board, and of the Charitable Aid Board. As a Forester, in Court “City of Auckland,” he has been senior trustee for more than twenty years. He is a member of the Primitive Methodist Church. Mr. Trenwith was married in Cornwall, and has three sons and a daughter, who are all married.
Mr. J. W. James
was for two years a Member for South Ward in the Auckland City Council. He has retired from business and resides at Mount Albert.
Mr. James M. Lennox,
who is referred to in another article, occupied a seat in the City Council from 1887 to 1891, and represented the South Ward.
Mr. John Clemshaw Swales
was a member of the Auckland City Council representing Ponsonby Ward from January, 1887, till the close of 1894. As he had retired from business prior to entering the Council. Mr. Swales was able to devote all his energies to the interests of the city, and was a staunch advocate of efficient drainage. As chairman of the Streets Committee, he effected many economies, his sound common sense being especially useful. Mr. Swales was born in Yorkshire in 1826, his father being a cotton manufacturer in that county. At the age of nine he was left an orphan, and, being thrown upon his own resources, found, employment with a plumber at Halifax. He removed to Thursk, and subsequently to Walsall, where he was employed for four
years as an apprentice to Mr. John Jones. At the expiration of his time, Mr. Swales went to Bilston, working for six years with a wholesale manufacturer. He then returned to Walsall, where he married and went into business. Arriving at Auckland in 1859 in the ship “Shalimahr,” Mr. Swales worked at his trade for a few weeks, and then established himself in business as a plumber and tinsmith in Wellesley Street, subsequently removing to Ponsonby. When the Maori War broke out, he was compelled to shoulder a musket, but eventually returned to his business, which he successfully carried on until transferring it to his son, Mr. J. W. Swales, in 1883. Mr. Swales, senior, has been a member of the Auckland Charitable Aid Board since 1889, and has long been connected with licensing matters in Ponsonby.
He is a trustee of the Wesleyan Church, and has been a member of the Ponsonby School Committee for many years. Mr. Swales has four sons and two daughters.
who still (1900) carries on business as a builder in Auckland, represented the Grafton Ward in the City Council from 1888 to 1893.
Mr. William Henry Smith,
senior partner of the well-known firm of Messrs Smith and Caughey, sat as a member for the Karangahape Ward in the Auckland City Council from 1888 to 1891.
Mr. John Grey
was a Member of the Auckland City Council from 1889 until 1896, during which year he died. The burgesses elected his son, Mr. Charles Grey, to his vacant municipal chair. Mr. Grey is referred to in another article as the founder of the firm of John Grey and Sons, cordial manufacturers.
Mr. Young Warren,
who represented Karangahape Ward in the Auckland City Council from 1889 to 1900, was born in Sligo, Ireland, in 1837. Mr. Warren's family is a very old one, his ancestors having crossed over from Normandy to Ireland at the time of the Conquest. Mr. Young Warren was brought up to farming pursuits
on his father's property in Sligo, and came to Auckland in 1862 by the ship “Shalimahr.” Joining the Volunteer force during the Maori War, he saw active service in the Waikato, and, afterwards returning to Auckland, entered into business as a grocer. After twenty years he retired into private life at Mt. Roskill, where he has a fine property of four and a half acres. In 1865 he was married to Miss Sarah Reece, and has five children. Mr. Warren has held office as a member of the Costley Trust Board, the Charitable Aid Board, and the Mount Eden Highway Board.
Mr. Thomas Julian
represented South Ward in the City Council from 1891 till 1899. He was born in 1843 at Driffeld, Yorkshire, where his father, the late Mr. John Julian, had a good connection as a builder; he was educated at the national school, and learned his trade with his father. Going to London in 1866, he was soon promoted to be foreman for Messrs. George Trollope and Son, builders and contractors, and afterwards filled similar places with other prominent employers. On arrival in Auckland in 1883 by the s.s. “British Queen,” he immediately established himself as a builder and contractor. Among the more important residences erected in and around the city by Mr. Julian may be mentioned those of Sir William Fox, Mr. McCosh Clark, Colonel Burton, Mr. Nathan Harker, Mr. C. B. Stone, Mrs Geo. Taylor, Mr. H. B. Morton, and, last but not least, that of Mr. Thornton of Cambridge, whose splendid establishment cost upwards of £7,000. The principal business premises erected by him include a fine row of brick shops in Symonds Street, Mr. Arkel's brewery, the City Club Hotel, the fine block containing the Naval and Family Hotel, and Mr. Powley's model shirt factory. Mr. Julian's first step on the ladder of public life was that of director of the Horse Ferry Road Board school, London—a position which gave him an insight in educational matters generally. In politics, too, he was a hard worker at that time. He was a member of Mr. Herbert Gladstone's committee, when he stood for Middlesex in opposition to Lord George Hamilton. He was also active in the cause of Mr. John Morley and Sir Arthur Hobhouse as against Mr. W. H. Smith and Sir Charles Russell. As one of Mr. Charles Bradlaugh's captains, he took an active and prominent part in the demonstrations held in Trafalgar Square and Hyde Park in connection with the great Northampton struggle. Mr. Julian was a member of the Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners of London, and one of the few who cast in their lot with the Society's Manchester section, when the split occurred in the seventies. In the land of his adoption, Mr. Julian has done good work as a member of the City Schools Committee, the licensing committee, the streets and finance committees of the City Council, and as a representative of the City Council on the Harbour Board. He has constantly supported the thorough prosecution of city drainage, and was instrumental in getting the Howe and Napier Streets gully satisfactorily drained and filled in—a work which had long been neglected. He takes more than a passing interest in aquatics, and has been a vice-commodore of the Waltemata Boating Club and vice-president of the Auckland Swimming Club. He was married in 1879 to Miss Watts, daughter of Mr. George Watts, miller, of Bedfordshire. Mr. and Mrs. Julian, with their son and two daughters, reside at Remuera.
Mr. Charles Samuel Wright,
who occupied a seat in the Auckland City Council
from 1890 to 1894, was also a member of the Auckland Harbour Board for a similar term. Whilst on the Harbour Board, Mr. Wright supported the erection of the Quay Street Jetty, which was extended 150 feet. His proposal was to erect, as soon as funds would allow, three jetties that would bring the shipping closer in, and also deepen the harbour. Mr. Wright was born in Wellington in 1843, and is a son of the late Mr. W. J. Wright. He was educated under the denominational system, and apprenticed for five years at Gilbert's Sash and Door Factory, where he also remained as a journeyman for about eight years. In 1875, Mr. Wright established himself as a builder in Wellington Street, and carried on the business very successfully till 1884, when he was induced by Mr. Frankland, Registrar of the Friendly Societies, to become valuer under the Friendly Societies Act. In 1896, Mr. Wright re-entered the building trade, and assisted to construct the City Hall, the A.M.P. buildings and the two adjoining shops, and many other places. He has taken an active interest in the Knights of Labour and has filled the position of Master Workman. He has been secretary of the Fountain of Friendship Lodge of Oddfellows for a great number of years, was secretary of the Parnell Lodge of Manchester Unity, and was elected provincial chief secretary of Auckland. In 1887, he contested a seat in the Liberal cause with Mr. T. Peacock, but was defeated by a majority of thirteen. Mr. Wright was for seven years a member of the town schools committee, and chairman of the Ponsonby school committee, and was on the Auckland licensing committee for some years. He saw early service in the volunteer movement, but resigned owing to ill-health. He is a vice-president of the Ponsonby Football Club. Mr. Wright married a daughter of Mr. Hale, of Gloucester, and has a family of nine sons and three daughters.
sometime proprietor of the Victoria Hotel, Victoria Street, sat in the City Council as a member for Grafton Ward from 1891 to 1893. He is referred to in another article as an old colonist who arrived in Australia in 1860, and came to New Zealand in 1864.
Dr. Henry Walker
represented South Ward in the Auckland City Council from the 28th of October, 1891, till September, 1892, when for various reasons he resigned the position. Whilst a member, he sat on the Legal Committee, and played an active part in the discussion of the Tramways question. Born in Yorkshire in 1846, Dr. Walker is a son of Mr. William Walker. He served his pupilship under Dr. Braithwaite, of Leeds, whose medical writings are known the world over. Both in Edinburgh and Glasgow Dr. Walker pursued his studies with considerable success, passing the final stages of his profession and qualifying fully in 1876. After practising for four years in Baildon, near Saltaire, Yorkshire, he came out to New Zealand in 1881 as medical officer of the ship “May Queen.” Landing at Tauranga, he proceeded to the Northern Capital. The doctor is deservedly popular in Auckland. He came prominently before the public, and gave important evidence in connection with several poisoning cases. He was president for two successive years of the Auckland branch of the New Zealand Medical Association, and at present (1897) holds the position of hon. secretary, the association
having been merged in the Auckland section of the New Zealand branch of the British Medical Association. Dr. Walker has been associated with Freemasonry for the past twenty-two years, and is now junior grand warden to the New Zealand Grand Lodge. He is a surgeon-major to the New Zealand Naval Volunteers. Dr. Walker takes a deep interest in educational matters. He was for eight or nine years on school committees, and fought hard for the abolishment of home lessons in the Auckland city schools. His is a familiar figure at the Auckland Bowling Green. Dr. Walker is a prominent member of the Liedertafel, and has helped to forward the interests of St. Thomas's Church in the positions of choirmaster and organist. Mrs Walker is a daughter of Mr. James Kay, of Dunfermline, Scotland, and there are two sons and two daughters of the marriage.
Mr. William James Courtney,
who sat for Ponsonby from 1892 to 1900 was born near Limerick, in the South of Ireland, in 1835. Educated in the land of his birth, Mr. Courtney was brought up as a chemist, and passed his examination as a veterinary surgeon. He left the Emerald Isle in 1858 for Australia, and was for two years after arrival engaged in mining throughout that continent. In 1860, having heard of the gold discoveries in New Zealand, he decided to try his “luck” in that direction, and was for some years engaged in mining on the most important fields of this Colony. Mr. Courtney salled in 1870 for South Africa, where he was engaged on the diamond fields for nineteen years with considerable success. Having won a competence, he decided to return to New Zealand and settle down, making Auckland his home. He bought the beautifully situated and picturesque property of four acres at “Courtney Place,” Ponsonby, where he has what is claimed to be the finest vinery under glass in the Colony. His residence is surrounded by a well-kept flower garden and drives, the approach to the house being dotted here and there with a number of statues. Mr. Courtney takes a great interest in his grounds, and prides himself on the quality of the grapes he grows. During the past twenty years he has made several trips round the world, and has visited every important exhibition held during that time, including the Paris and the Chicago Exhibitions. Every four years he takes a trip to Africa to look after his interests in that country. Since his retirement from business life, Mr. Courtney has been asked on several occasions to stand for parliament, but has so far declined. He has a lofty idea of the responsibility of a representative of the people, and would consent to enter the parliamentary arena only on the conditions that, if elected, he should act independently of anyone else, and that he must first be convinced that the step
would be for the country's good. Mr. Courtney had no previous thought of entering the City Council, but was unable to refuse the large and influential deputation which ultimately prevailed upon him to stand. After serving for three years he wished to retire into private life, but his friends and the ratepayers generally requisitioned him to again contest the seat. He acceded to the request, and, though he took no active part in the election owing to illness, was returned then, and also on a subsequent occasion. Mr. Courtney is esteemed both by his friends and the general public for the ability, shrewdness and business capacity which he has exhibited during his career in the council. Mr. Courtney is married and has three children.
Mr. Frederick Ehrenfried Baume
was first elected unopposed to a seat in the Auckland City Council in 1893, and
was re-elected two years later. As a present councillor, he is referred to in another article.
Mr. Albert Edward Glover,
who for some years represented South Ward on the Auckland City Council, was born at Nottingham, England, on the 28th of June, 1849, and received his education at the local grammar school. He came with his parents to New Zealand in 1862. His father, the late Mr. Uriah Glover, was identified with the early history of the goldfields, and was for many years in business as a hotelkeeper in Coromandel. Until he grew to manhood, Mr. Glover was in business with his father, and was one of the first prospectors of the Thames goldfield; he was also proficient in the Maori language, and was appointed native interpreter to the Resident Magistrate's Court. Afterwards he dealt in land, became master of a cutter trading to Coromandel, and was also a licensed victualler for some years. Mr. Glover married a relative of the Queen of Raratonga, and was elected to the City Council of Auckland in 1893. He was for a time a member of the
Auckland school committee, and represented the City Council on the Auckland Harbour Board. Mr. Glover is a supporter of all kinds of sport, and has passed through many vicissitudes with credit to himself. His private residence is situated in Nelson Street, Auckland.
Mr. Charles Hesketh,
who sat for City Ward in the City Council from 1893 to 1900, was born at Manchester in 1842, and is the third son of the late Mr. Emanuel Hesketh, for many years a schoolmaster in Auckland. He was educated in Manchester, and served an apprenticeship to the soft goods trade in that city. He left his native land in 1859 and arrived with his parents in New Zealand in the same year. After a short time on a farm he joined Mr. Alfred Buckland, the well-known cattle auctioneer of Auckland, and remained in his service for twenty years. In conjunction with Mr. Alexander Aitken, he established his present business of grain
merchant and has been remarkably successful. A past master of the Remuera Lodge, Mr. Hesketh takes a great interest in Freemasonry. He saw active service during the first Taranaki war, and also went through the Waikato war, for which he was awarded the New Zealand medal. He is a thorough sportsman and takes an ardent part in all outdoor pastimes, cricket perhaps being his pet hobby. Ever keenly interested in local affairs, Mr. Hesketh has been a member on the Remuera school committee and highway board, and of the Auckland licensing bench as well as of the City Council. He is married and has three children.
Mr. G. H. Powley,
who occupied a seat in the City Council for Grafton Ward from 1893 to 1894, is referred to in another article as proprietor of the Cambridge Shirt and Clothing Factory, Victoria Street West, and Graham Street, Auckland.
Mr. William Thorne,
Barrister and Solicitor, represented the Ponsonby Ward in the City Council from 1893 to 1896.
Mr. William Bagnell White,
who represented Grafton Ward in the Auckland City Council, from the end of 1894 till the end of 1900, is referred to as Major W. B. White, of the Battalion staff of the Auckland Infantry, in the military section of this volume.
Mr. Adam Cairns,
J.P., represented the North Ward in the City Council from 1895 to 1899. He was born in Edinburgh in 1840, and was educated at Newington Academy. After leaving school he was apprenticed to the well-known firm of Messrs. Knox, Samuel and Dickson, wholesale drapers. On the outbreak of the Crimean War Mr. Cairns joined Her Majesty's Navy, and saw active service in H.M.S. “Hastings,” in the Baltic, and was at the bombardment of Sweaborg under Admiral Dundas. Peace being restored, he retired from the Navy, and was engaged as assistant manager to Mr. Morris in the grand saloon of the International Exhibition of 1862. In 1863 he came to New Zealand, and was for about three years providore of the local steamers at Dunedin. He was afterwards in Christchurch, where he successfully conducted the White Hart Hotel for several years. In 1871 he removed to Auckland, where he kept the Royal Mail Hotel, until he retired from business, and paid a visit to Europe, in which he remained for three years. When he returned to New Zealand in 1881, he bought the Star Hotel, Auckland, which, after conducting it for ten years, he sold out to Messrs. Brown, Campbell and Co. Mr. Cairns then spent two years as licensee of the Lake Takapuna Hotel. After enjoying a rest of three years he decided to re-enter the business, and in 1896 became the proprietor of the Grand Hotel, Princes Street, Auckland, one of the
principal hotels of the city. As a Mason, Mr. Cairns has taken the degrees of Master, Mark, and Royal Arch. He was president of the Crimean Veterans' Association for years, and has also been identified with the Auckland Racing Club, having been long a prominent member. Mr. Cairns has now retired from business.
Mr. Joseph Becroft
was elected to a seat in the City Council in 1896, and sat for Ponsonby Ward until 1889. He carries on business as a builder in Jervois Road, Ponsonby.
for many years a traveller for the firm of Messrs Brown and Campbell, represented the North Ward in the City Council in 1897–98.