The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Mr. David Goldie
Mr. David Goldie, who was on three occasions elected to a seat in the House of Representatives, is one of Auckland's best known and most respected citizens. He was born in Tasmania in 1842 and is the son of Mr. David Goldie, an early settler of that Colony, who found his way to these shores by the same vessel that brought such other well-known Aucklanders as the late Mr. W. C. Wilson and Mr. John Wiseman, senior, Mr. Goldie was educated at the Church of England School and other private institutions at Hobart, and crossed over to Auckland in 1863, having in the meantime learned the trade of a carpenter. Following that calling for some time, he gradually became a contractor, and in that capacity took part in the erection of quarters for the troops during the Waikato War, and many other buildings. He then entered the employ of Mr. George Holdship, and soon rose to the position of manager. Mr. Goldie commenced business in 1867 on his own account as a timber merchant, and was favoured with fortune's smile from the beginning. Particulars of this part of his career will be found under “The Wood Trade,” to which readers are referred. Mr. Goldie has taken a leading part in most public affairs; he was returned in 1874 to the Provincial Council of Auckland, where he proved a reliable and most useful member. For almost fifteen years he was a hard worker in the Auckland City Council, during part of which time he represented that body on the Harbour and Charitable Aid Boards, and for some ten or eleven years was a member of the Education Board. As a member of the Licensing Committee, he was mainly instrumental in the closing of no fewer than nine hotels. Mr. Goldie was elected to the House of Representatives in 1879, for Auckland City West, defeating Mr. Peter Dignan, whose father the late Hon. P. Dignan, had been raised to the Legislative Council, thus creating an extraordinary vacancy. Mr. Goldie won the seat by a majority of 515 votes. In 1887 he again stood for Auckland City West against Messrs. E. W. Morrison and J. M. Shera, and was again returned at the head of the poll, the voting being:—Goldie, 717; Shera, 523; Morrison, 209. During the whole of his parliamentary career, Mr. Goldie fought hard for pure administration and wise economy. In 1890 so great was his popularity that he was returned unopposed, but in 1892 owing to the demands of his large and still increasing business, he resigned his seat and retired from political life. Though retired from politics, Mr. Goldie still leads a very active life. For a third of a century he has been a leading spirit of the Auckland Primitive Methodist Church. For over twenty-five years he has been superintendent of the Sunday school, and he is also teacher of the Young Ladies' class, president of the Band of Hope, and also of two Christian Endeavour societies. He was joint editor, with the Rev. C. E. Ward, of the “New Zealand Primitive Methodist.” As secretary of the Primitive Methodist Fire Insurance fund, Mr. Goldie has rendered invaluable service, while as honorary district secretary of the connection in New Zealand for a number of years he has done still more useful work; he has also filled the presidential chair. Mr. Goldie was married in 1866 to Miss Partington, daughter of the late Mr. Charles Partington, and their family consists of five sons and three daughters. The second son, Mr. C. F. Goldie, recently won very high honours as an artist on the Continent, whilst his brother, Mr. W. H. Goldie, achieved distinction at Edinburgh University, having in 1897 finished his medical course with honours and gained the Buchanan Scholarship of the value of £40 per annum, which carries with it a gold medal and special training under Professor Simpson and Dr. Berry Hart.
Mr. D. Goldie.