The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Whakataki Public School, which was established in 1887, is conducted in a wooden building having accommodation for fifty children. There are twenty-three pupils on the roll, the average attendance being twenty-one.
Mr. Frank G. Mangnuson, the Master in charge of the Whakataki Public School, was born in Wellington, where he was educated. After a period in one of the Government offices, he spent some years in the wholesale drapery trade, but subsequently joined the Education Department; he was appointed to his present charge about ten years ago. As a member of the Order of Foresters Mr. Mangnuson is attached to the local lodge. In 1891 Mr. Mangnuson was married to Miss Fisher, and has two sons and a daughter.
Whakataki Hotel (J. O'Neill, proprietor), Whakataki. The building, which is of wood and iron, contains nineteen rooms, twelve being bedrooms; there are several sitting-rooms and a good dining-room, having chairs for fourteen persons. The hotel, which was established in 1872, is within a few minutes' walk of the local post-office, and the mail coach passes the property daily. The house is well supported by travellers and settlers, Mr. O'Neill being recognised as an experienced host. Stabling and paddocks for travelling stock are attached to the hotel, and prove a great convenience to the public.
Harvey, William, Settler, Whakataki. A native of Caithness, Scotland, Mr. Harvey came to Wellington in 1854 with his parents, in the ship “Ashburton.” After a few years in South Wairarapa he settled in Opaki in 1864, remaining eighteen years, and was subsequently in other parts of the Wellington Provincial District. He was chiefly engaged in farming pursuits till 1893, when, in company with his brother, Mr. R. W. Harvey, he purchased the business of carrying and shipping agents now conducted by the firm of Harvey Bros. at Castlepoint. Mr. W. Harvey is ever ready to assist in all public matters in the district: as a member of the Whakataki School Committee and of the local Oddfellows' court—in which he has passed all the chairs— he has rendered yeoman service in athletics he represented Wellington at football against New South Wales; in racing he is one of the stewards of the Whakataki and Castlepoint Club, and acts as clerk of scales; he is also handicapper of the local sports committee, and has won several hurdle races. In 1880 Mr. Harvey was married to Miss McKenzie, of Opaki, and has three sons and four daughters.
Mr. And Mrs. W. Harvey.
Holes, John , Farmer, Okau, Whakataki. This settler is the eldest surviving son of the late Mr. Peter Holes—a passenger in the ship “Oriental” to Port Nicholson in 1840—who worked as a bricklayer in Wellington, as a sawyer at the Hutt, and became a settler in the Okau District in 1857, meeting his death by drowning in 1871 at the mouth of the Whareama River, in the presence of his wife and son. Mr. John Holes was born in Wellington in 1849, and with his parents settled in Okau in 1862. He was engaged as a shepherd at Flat Point for fifteen years before settling at Okau. In 1882 Mr. Holes was married to Miss Pickett, of Whakataki, and has three sons and a daughter.
Mason, Alfred, Settler,Whakataki. Mr. Mason was born in 1862 at Karori, near Wellington, where he was educated. He lived for ten years at Flat Point, on the East Coast, and after a period in Hawkes Bay he settled in the Whakataki District. In all kinds of sport Mr. Mason has ever taken a lively interest, having acted as handicapper for the Castlepoint races and for the local Caledonian Society. He is a member of the Whakataki School Committee. Mr. Mason was married in 1887 to Miss Simmonds, of Hawkes Bay, and has a son and three daughters.
Mr. A. Mason And Family.
Pickett, Thomas , Farmer, Whakataki. Born in 1824 in Herefordshire, where he gained his earliest experience of farming pursuits, Mr. Pickett landed in Wellington from the ship “Simla” in 1854. He obtained employment as a shepherd with Mr. Meredith, of Riversdale, and after three years' service joined Mr. Guthrie, of Castlepoint, serving on that gentleman's vast run for many years. Mr. Pickett farms a snug little property, which is in an advanced state of cultivation, on the banks of the Whakataki River. During the native troubles he joined the Castlepoint Militia, with whom he served till the troop was disbanded. Mr. Pickett was married in 1847, and has three sons and five daughters.
Sinclair, Donald, Sheepfarmer, “Glenroy,” Whakataki. A native of India, where he was born in 1863, Mr. Sinclair was educated at Wellington College, Berkshire, and came to Melbourne in 1879. After a short stay he crossed to Wellington, and was for many years engaged in school teaching in various parts of the Colony. In 1896 he acquired his property of 400 acres on the banks of the Matiakuna River, and has already effected considerable improvements. His stock comprises a flock of crossbred sheep and some shorthorn cattle. In 1895 Mr. Sinclair was married to Miss Smithson, of Leeston. and has one son.