The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Professional, Commercial, And Industrial
Professional, Commercial, And Industrial.
Abraham and Williams, Auctioneers, Mangahao Road, Pahiatua. Head office, Palmerston North. This is a branch of Messrs. Abraham and Williams's business at Palmerston North. The saleyards are situated about a quarter of a mile from the Pahiatua Railway Station, and regular sales of cattle and sheep are held.
Briggs, Henry William, Land and Estate Agent, Main Street, Pahiatua. Telegraphic address, “Briggs, Pahiatua.” P.O. Box 25. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private [gap — reason: illegible]lence, Mangahao Road. Agents: Wellington, Messrs. Harcourt and Co.; Napier, Messrs. Baker and Tabuteau; with correspondents all over the Australasian colonies. This business was established by Mr. Briggs in 1886, and is, therefore, as old as the town itself. The premises, which are centrally situated, are freehold, and form a part of one of the principal blocks in the town. Among a number of agencies held by Mr. Briggs may be mentioned the Northern Assurance Company, the United Insurance Company, the Perman at Investment and Loan Association of Wairarapa, and the New Zealand Accident Insurance Company. Mr. Briggs also acts as local agent for the Deputy Official Assignee, Mr. Cheunnells, of Masterton. Mr. Briggs has made use of his opportunities since residing in Pahiatua, having acquired an improved farm of some 400 acres and several lots in and around the town. As a business man he is greatly respected; and as a local politician he is decidedly popular. Though he persistently declines the mayoralty, he is assiduous as a councillor, and prominent in all public matters.
Crewe, David, Auctioneer, Land, Stock, Station, and General Commission Agent, etc., Main Street, Pahiatua. Branches, Makuri and Eketahuna. Telegraphic address, “Crewe, Pahiatua.” Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Harridge House, Pahiatua. Mr. David Crewe established himself in Pahiatua in 1884, and has since that time been much more than ordinarily successful. His business enterprises generally have turned out well, and he either owns or has an interest at the present time in a good share of freehold property in and around the town. Though a certificated mining engineer, Mr. Crewe has not engaged in his profession since leaving the Old Country, though doubtless the experience there gained has been of much use to him, both in his own business and as a councillor. His late father was prominent in the iron and coal trade of Dudley, being a manufacturer of iron, both of the pig and finished material, and a colliery proprietor in the Midland counties. Having great faith in the fertility of Pahiatua county, and in Pahiatua as a township likely to rise rapidly, Mr. Crewe entered heartily into the business with a determination to do his share in the building up of the place. In March, 1891, Mr. and Mrs. Crewe and family (son and daughter) took a trip Home to see their friends and to enjoy a good holiday, and while there Mr. Crewe took a very great interest in the matter of New Zealand products in the Old Country. He was enabled to expose many and glaring frauds, his examinations leading to the discovery of large quantities of frozen meat from River Plate and other places being sold as having come from New Zealand. Moreover, he was able to trace New Zealand products, and discover them being sold as English and Welsh products. In butter, cheese, etc., he also found many instances of misrepresentation, and exposed them. Mr. Crewe made arrangements with many of the best firms in the Old Country for consignments of produce, and in such a manner as to insure its being sold for what it really is. Mr. Crewe's auction mart is centrally situated, being next door to the Club Hotel, the freehold of which is also his property. The building is of brick, and two stories high. The front portion of the downstairs is occupied by the auction-room, the office being immediately behind. Miscellaneous and produce sales are held at the mart every Saturday, and consignments of almost every kind find their way for public disposal. The principal stock sale-yards are in Pahiatua, about 200 yards from the mercantile premises. At these yards stock sales are held every alternate Tuesday. At the Eketahuna yards Mr. Crewe holds sales every fourth Friday, and at those at Makuri every fourth Wednesday. He also holds sales at Hamua every alternate Friday. His attention to business is strict, his terms are liberal, and therefore his patronage is considerable. Mr. Candy is the agent for the transaction of Mr. Crewe's business in Eketahuna, and Mr. Olliver holds the same position in Makuri. Entries are forwarded either to these gentlemen or to the head office in Fahiatua. Mr. Crewe's agencies embrace the Victoria Fire Insurance Society, the Mutual Assurance Society of Victoria, Messrs. Booth Macdonald and Co., of Christchurch, Messrs. Andrews and Beaven, of Christchurch, Boyd and Son's bicycles, Brenchley's insecticide, and many others. Mr. Crewe's business operations extend throughout the Colony, and his exports are sent direct to the Home markets. It is his opinion that, notwithstanding all the care that has of recent years been taken to insure honest dealing in connection with New Zealand products, a very great deal of fraud is still going on, and that measures should be taken to stop this by the establishment of depôts in all the large manufacturing centres of Great Britain. Pahiatua owes much to the energy, enterprise, and business capacity of its leading business men, in the first rank of whom must be placed Mr. David Crewe. Further particulars of his career as a colonist, and especially as a public man, will be found under the heading of Pahiatua Borough Council.
Greville and Co., Land and Estate Agents, Surveyors and Licensed Land Brokers, Pahiatua. Branch at Eketahuna Messrs. Greville and Co. conduct a good business, and have at all times a large number of properties on their books.
Helps and Co., Land and Estate Agents, The Pahiatua Land Agency, Main Street, Pahiatua. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Ernest Beauchamp Hare, manager. Telegraphic address, “Helps and Co., Pahiatua.” The business, which was established in 1893, is chiefly in the sale of town and country properties. Mr. E. B. Hare, the manager of this enterprising firm, was born at Dublin in 1854, and in 1855 came to New Zealand with his parents, who were among the earliest of the Wairarapa settlers. When a youth he worked on his father's farm, afterwards entering into business for himself as an insurance and commission agent. He is secretary to the Pahiatua Farmers' Association, and the firm are agents for the Standard Fire and Marine Insurance Company, the Mutual Life Assurance Society of Australasia, the Scottish Metropolitan Accident Insurance Company, and the Pahiatua Farmers' Association. Mr. Hare is married, and has five children.
De Loree, P. P., and Son, Photographers, travelling through New Zealand. Mr. De Loree is a native of Belgium. He left there in 1844 for London, from whence, in 1848, he sailed for Victoria. He arrived in Otago in 1861. He is a grandson of Marie Schelling, who, impersonating a French soldier, fought for eleven years in the Grand Army of Napoleon, and was, on the discovery of her sex, decorated with the Legion of Honour by the Emperor's own hand. Messrs. De Loree and Son take with them a complete portrait and landscape plant and a moveable studio. Their pictures shew a quality truly surprising. The specialties of the firm are slides for lime-light views. Besides selling these in large numbers, the firm carries the appliances for their exhibition. Mr. De Lorce is seventy-three years of age, and he himself delivers the lectures. This interesting business firm is now engaged in the southern portion of the North Island, having already covered a good extent of the Colony.
Godfrey and Son, Builders, Sash and Door Manufacturers, and Timber Merchants, Mangahao Road and Arthur Street, Pahiatua. This firm was established in 1886 by Messrs H. H. Godfrey and John Robertson, and erected many of the best buildings in the district in 1888. Mr. Robertson being attracted to the Mahakipawa diggings in 1889, Mr. Godfrey was left by himself until 1891, when he was joined by his father, who had been for about thirty-five years carrying on business in Papanui, near Christchurch. Mr. H. W. Godfrey was born in London in 1832, and received his education at the London Philosophical School. He served his apprenticeship to the cabinet-making with his father, the late Mr. W. Godfrey, of Lyttelton. Coming to Lyttelton in May, 1851, by the “Dominion,” he worked at the building trade there until 1856, when he started business in Papanui, where he was the principal builder. It is worthy of note that many of the first buildings erected by him are still standing as monuments of honest substantial workmanship. He moved to Pahiatua in 1891 and joined his son, who had been in business since 1886. He was on the school committee continuously from 1872, when the Act came into force, until leaving in 1891, and served on the vestry of St. Paul's, Papanui, for a number of years. He was also for some time secretary of the Papanui Ploughing Match Committee. He was made a Mason in the Concord Lodge, Papanui, in 1881, and has since joined his lot with the Tavarua Lodge, Pahiatua. He was also one of the first members of the Loyal City of Christchurch Lodge of Oddfellows, and went through the chairs. He has always supported the Liberals in politics. Though now nearly sixty-five years of age, he is still as strong and wiry as ever. Mr. Godfrey married Miss Anne Rapley, daughter of Mr. William Rapley, of Papanui, and has a family of nine boys and three girls, eleven of whom are alive and doing well. Mr. H. H. Godfrey was born in Papanui in April, 1860, and received his education at St. Paul's School. He learnt his trade with his father, and worked with him until 1883, when he was employed on the Lyttelton Times buildings in Christchurch, afterwards leaving Christchurch with the contractor for those buildings, Mr. Henry Taylor, who had two large contracts in Taranaki — the Waitara freezing works and the Bank of New Zealand, New Plymouth. He settled in Pahiatua in 1886, where he has resided and worked ever since. In 1892 he married Miss Christina Duncan, daughter of Mr. Robert Duncan, of Loburn, Canterbury, and has one daughter and two sons. He has taken a certificate in the advanced class of building construction. South Kensington, and his knowledge as a draughtsman is a very valuable acquisition to his trade. He is a Past Master of the Tararua Lodge of Freemasons, of which he is a charter member, and at present secretary and organist, and a Past Grand of Loyal Mangatainoka Lodge of Oddfellows, of which he is also a foundation member, having joined the order as a foundation member of the Loyal Papanui Lodge in 1880. In politics Mr. Godfrey is a supporter of the present Government. At the time of writing (November, 1896), Messrs. Godfrey and Son were building a neat and substantial dwelling for Mr. H. W. Godfrey, senr. They have also lately built a large infant school at Pahiatua, and previously to that erected the large class-room at the same school. Latterly they have supplied the Education Board with the furniture for all their country schools at this end of the province. In sashes and doors and frames, etc., they do a considerable business, and in adding the supply of timber to their business are laying the basis of a good general building supplying trade. At the present time they claim to be able to draw the plans, supply all the timber, piles, etc., sashes and doors, build the house, and fit up with venetian blinds without going outside their own premises for either the skill or the material.
Dawson, Joseph, J.P., Contractor and Bridge Builder, Main Street, Pahiatua. Mr. Dawson was born in Tasmania in 1843, and followed the occupation of a farmer. He came to New Zealand in 1869, and at the age of twenty-six entered as an apprentice to the carpentering trade with the late Mr. D. Reese. Before he had served half his time he became foreman, and carried out many of the large railway station buildings and sheds on the Southbridge and Ashburton lines. Within a few years he became architect and contractor, designing and constructing many of the buildings in East Christchurch, including Ward and Co.'s brewery buildings. After this he removed to Greytown in the North Island, but finally settled in Masterton, where he tendered for some of the most important works and bridges, and carried out all his undertakings to the satisfaction of those concerned. In 1889 he removed to Pahiatua, where he now resides in a very comfortable two-story house in the main street. He is very popular in the district. In public affairs he was chairman of the Pahiatua Town Board for two terms, and was also a member of the Borough Council. He is a member of the Masterton Licensing Committee, and of the Pahiatua Lodge of Freemasons. In his younger days he was for some years champion sculler of New Zealand, and was never beaten until he lowered his colours to Hearn at Kaipoi. He is married and has seven children.
Mr. J. Dawson.
The Crown Carriage Works (James A. Shaw, proprietor). Main Street, Pahiatua. This business was established by Mr. James Kennedie in 1895, and was taken over by the present proprietor in 1896. The work turned out is first-class. Repairing, painting, and trimming are among the special features done on the premises. Mr. Shaw does a very fair share of the work of the town. Born in Canterbury in 1872, he served his apprenticeship to the trade with Mr. William Reeves, of Rangio[unclear: r]a, and with his father, who was in business at Leithfield and Balcairn, Canterbury. In 1894 he came to the Forty-mile Bush, and started in business at Mangatainoka. Two years later he sold out to purchase the present business. He is a good planist and violinist, and is in request at all local concerts, dances, and social functions.
Merryweather, William, Coachbuilder, Main Street, Pahiatua.
Nicholls, D. D., Coach Factory Proprietor and General Smith, Main Street, Pahiatua.
Pahiatua Butter Factory (Proprietors, Messrs. Cook and Gray). Manager, Mr. William Holstead. Central factory, Hall Road, Pahiatua. Tributary creameries, Woodville, Kaitawa, Mangatainoka, Makakahi and Hawera (Forty Mile Bush). The Pahiatua Butter Factory is a fine building and stands upon a section three acres in extent. The machinery is driven by a ten-horse-power horizontal engine, the power for which is supplied by a twelve-horse-power boiler, both being from Messrs. Nevin and Co., Spit Foundry, Napier The manager, Mr. Holstead, speaks very highly of both engine and boiler. A Delaval separator is used, capable of skimming 400 gallons of milk per hour. Two cherry churns by Gisborne, of Victoria, a butter worker by Bradford, and a refrigerator known as Hall and Son's Patent Carbonic Anhydride system, comprises, with the handy steam-pump, the machinery of the establishment, the whole of which is in the most satisfactory order in every respect. The cooling chamber is fourteen feet square, by a height of seven feet, thoroughly insulated and fitted up with brine walls and pipes. This factory was erected and opened in November, 1894. Previous to that time the principal operations had been carried on at Mangatainoka.
Mr. William Holsted, Manager of the Central Dairy Factory, Pahiatua, was born in Denmark, where he was educated and learned his business under the Royal Agricultural Society of that country. He then left for New Zealand, arriving in Wellington per ship “Reichstag” from Hamburg in 1875. In those days there was no employment for him whatever in his own line, there being no such dairy factories in the Colony. He was therefore employed in general work until 1881, when he was appointed manager of a dairy farm in Marlborough. At the end of 1882 he removed to Riversdale, near Greytown, and was appointed manager of Mr. G. S. Manson's creamery and butter factory. This factory was the first in the North Island to use the De Laval separator. After two years in this position Mr. Holsted took a farm on his own account and carried it on for several years. For about eighteen months he was manager at Messrs. Doddridge's Ballance factory. He then held a similar appointment at Mangatainoka under the same firm. When the proprietary of this firm was changed, Mr. Holsted continued in the employ of the Pahiatua Dairy Factory as manager of the central factory and tributary creamenies both at Mangatainoka and Ballance. Mr. Holsted was married in 1881, and is a member of the local school committee. He is evidently well acquainted with his business and is personally popular throughout the districts in which the operations of the company extend.
Smith, Jeremiah, Painter, Glazier, Signwriter, House Decorator, Grainer, and Paperhanger, Main Street, Pahiatua, Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business was established in 1895 by Mr. Smith, who previously had been in business in Wellington. The shop is newly stocked with all the latest and best goods, page 1036 chief amongst them being picture mouldings, Winsor and Newton's artists' colours and materials, and all the newest styles of paper hangings. Opal is also kept in stock, and coloured and plain glass. The shop is situated in the new block which has recently been erected in the centre of the town. Mr. Smith was born in the north of England in 1852, and educated there. He served his apprenticeship to the trade in Northallerton, Yorkshire, and, coming to New Zealand in 1876, worked for five years at the trade in Christchurch principally for Messrs. Smith and Company. In 1884 he removed to Wellington and started in business for himself. This he carried on for a period of two years, when he received an offer of engagement with Mr. Tustin, painter, of Willis Street, Wellington, and he remained with him about seven years. While with Mr. Tustin he was entrusted with several important undertakings, which he carried out to entire satisfaction. He afterwards went into the employ of Mr. R. Martin, the well-known painter, of Manners Street. He is married, and has a family of ten, who keep a store in Brooklyn, near Wellington. His son Walter is learning the trade with his father in Pahiatua. While living in Brooklyn, Mr. Smith was a member of the Vogeltown School Committee for three years.
Levin, John Mauritz, Painter and Glazier. Main Street, Pahiatua.
Blair, Alexander, Tailor and Outfitter, Main Street, Pahiatua. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Blair is a native of Lanarkshire, Scotland, where he was born in 1865. He was educated there, and served his apprenticeship to the tailoring business at Biggar, in the County of Lanarkshire. On completing his indentures, he worked as journeyman for some of the principal tailoring firms in Scotland. He afterwards went to South Africa, returning to his native land in 1886. Turning his attention to the Antipodes, he came to New Zealand, and worked at his trade for some time in Dunedin. He afterwards went to the Hawkes Bay district, and spent some time at Waipukurau and at Marton. In 1890 he came to Pahiatua, and started in business as a tailor and outfitter. He conducts a first-class business, and is an employer of labour. The work turned out by him is all hand-sewn, and the cut and finish are considered equal to anything in the Colony. The latest patterns are kept, and he has a splendid stock of English, Scotch, and colonial tweeds. Mr. Blair is very popular in the district, and his straightforward and pleasant manner helps in the success of his business.
Isaacs, D., Tailor and Outfitter, Main Street, Pahiatua.
Starkey, H. J., Cabinetmaker, Upholsterer, and General House Furnisher, Main Street, Pahiatua. The premises are situated at the northern end of the town. Mr. Starkey does work for the principal people of the district, and does a fair share of the business of the town. Further particulars about Mr. Starkey will be found under the heading “Pahiatua Band.”
Falconer, W. S., Cabinetmaker and Architect, Main Road, Pahiatua.
Hyde, George, Cabinetmaker, Main Street, Pahiatua. Established 1891.
Watty, E. H., Tobacconist. Hairdresser, and Fancy Goods Dealer, Main Street, Pahiatua. This business was established in 1893 by Mr. J. Eccles, and was purchased by Mrs. Watty in July, 1896. The premises are of brick, and most centrally situated. The shop and saloon are commodious and tastefully decorated, and a page 1037 good stock is kept up. In stationery and photographs a particularly good trade is done. Mrs. Watty is an Aucklander, and is the daughter of Mr. Hitchens, of “Blood Restorer” fame. Mr. Watty was born in New Plymouth, and for several years past has been well known in Auckland, Palmerston North and Pahiatua as mounted constable. Mr. and Mrs. Watty were married in 1890.
Quirke, Michael, Hairdresser and Tobacconist, Main Street, Pahiatua. Established 1893.
Club Hotel (Robert Seymour, proprietor), Main and Wakeman Streets, Pahiatua. T'egraphic address, “Club, Pahiatua.” Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This hotel was established in 1887 by Mr. D. Crewe, who, after carrying it on for a short time, disposed of it to Mr. P. Spillane. Mr. Spillane conducted the business till August, 1893, when it came into the hands of the present proprietor, Mr. Robert Seymour. The Club Hotel stables and grounds cover one-and-a-quarter acres of land. The building contains fifteen bedrooms, two dining-rooms, three sitting rooms, billiard-room, commercial-rooms, sample-rooms, and two drawing-rooms. In connection with the hotel is a large fruit and vegetable gard in, which bountifully supplies the “Club” with all seasonable articles. There is also a fine stable, with eight stalls and two loose boxes, and horses and traps may be hired at all times. The Grab Hotel is a most comfortable one, and Mr. and Mrs. Seymour do all that lies in their power to render their visitors thoroughly at home, a fact which is recognised throughout the district. Mr. Seymour was born in London. He came to Australia in 1870, and for three years was in Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne, coming on to Wellington in 1879. For some time following his arrival here, Mr. Seymour chose a seafaring life, and was in the employ of the Union Steamship Company. For about five years he was a well-known man throughout New Zealand, particularly in Wellington, as secretary of the Seamen's Union, and of the Wharf Labourers' Union and Trades Council. As a mark of respect, he was elected president of the Tailoresses' Union, a position which he occupied till a suitable successor could be found. Mr. Seymour was nstrumental in forming the Bakers', Plumbers', and several other societies in Wellington. He is a subscribing member of the local athletic society, a member of the jockey club, of the Masonic Fraternity, of the Ancient Order of Druids, and of the Burns Club, the meetings of the last named being held at the Club Hotel.
Commercial Hotel, (Edward Sullivan, proprietor) Pahiatua. Telegraphic address, “Commercial, Pahiatua.” P.O. Box 38. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This fine hotel was the first hostelry to be established in Pahiatua. It was built in 1887 by Mr. Crewe, auctioneer, who carried it on for some little time and then sold it to Mr. Stewart. In 1891 it was purchased by Mr. Corby and Mr. Sullivan, who conducted it in conjunction for some few months, when the partnership was dissolved, and Mr. Sullivan became sole proprietor. It is a fine buiding of two stories, and is freehold. It contains some thirty-five beds, a splendid dining-room, a detached billiard-room, and two-and-a-half acres of garden, stabling, and paddocking. Mr. Sullivan's private family residence is some two and-a-half miles from Pahiatua on the road to Eketahuna, he having purchased this property for the purpose of keeping his young family away from the hotel. Mr. Sullivan is also the owner of a farm of some 352 acres at Makuri, two thirds of which has been grassed and stocked. This farm is in charge of a married couple, and supplies meat, milk, butter, eggs, poultry, etc. for the hotel. It is also one of the finest fruit gardens in the district. Mr. Sullivan has had a very large hotel experience, and he is assisted in the management by his brother, Mr. J. Sullivan, from Chicago. In that wondering city city Mr. Sullivan, junior, occupied a post of importance in Palmer House, one of the largest hotels in the United States. At Palmer House it is not an uncommon thing for 1600 visitors to be there at the same time.
Post-office Hotel (John Carmody, proprietor). Main Street, Pahiatua. Telegraphic address, “Carmody, Pahiatua.” Bankers. Bank of New Zealand. The Post-office Hotel is a two-story structure of wood and iron, and was erected in July, 1891. It is a very comfortable house, and comprises fourteen bedrooms, drawing-room, dining-room, commercial-room, parlour, bath-room, and every convenience. The numerous visitors to the hotel find in Mr. and Mrs. Carmody a most attentive host and hostess. Good stabling adjoins the hotel, and the paddocking is appreciated by travellers. Mr. Carmody was formerly proprietor of the Central Hotel. Palmerston North, where he resided for some twelve years. He is by trade a contractor, and has done work for a great many local bodies in the North Island, and has also executed several Government contracts.
Empire Hotel (Michael Ryan, proprietor), Main Street, Pahiatua. Estab. 18[gap — reason: illegible]1
Benzie's Temperance Hotel (Mrs. A. Benzie, proprietress), Main Street, Pahiatua. Established 1889. Rebuilt in brick 1896.
Mr. J. Henderson's Premises, Main Street, Pahiatua.
Pickering and Naylor (Thomas Pickering and Sam Naylor), Farriers and General Blacksmiths, Main Street, Pahiatua. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business was established by Mr. Edward Naylor, and was the first blacksmith's shop in Pahiatua, and at the present time does the principal business in the town. Mr. Thomas Pickering was born in Birmingham, England, in 1867, and when a child came to the Colony with his parents. In 1884 he was apprenticed to the trade with Mr. M. Horrick at Oxford, Canterbury, and came to Pahiatua a few years ago. In 1894 he bought the present business from the original proprietor, and in 1896 took Mr. Naylor into partnership. He belongs to the local Lodge of Oddfellows. Mr. Naylor was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1864, coming to the Colony in 1879. He served his time to the trade with his father. He is married, and has six children. He is a member of the Foresters' Lodge.
Pickering, David Alexander, Plumber and Tinsmith, Main Street, Pahiatua. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private address, Arthur Street. This is the oldest established business of its kind in Pahiatua, having been started in 1891 by Mr. Pickering, and is known as the Pahiatua Plumbing Works. The premises are nearly opposite the Post-office, and occupy a frontage of 24 feet by 50 feet. The workshop is behind the shop, and contains complete tinsmiths' machinery. Milk cans, cream cans, telescope and bottle-neck cans, and all kinds of dairy utensils, are manufactured on the premises. Estimates are given for fitting up dairy factories. In the plumbing department all kinds of work are done, and baths, sinks, tanks, ridging and spouting, are page 1039 also manufactured. Mr. Pickering was born in London in 1871, and came to New Zealand with his parents in 1874. He learnt the trade with his father, who was in business in Masterton, and in 1891 came to Pahiatua and started in business on his own account. He does a fair share of the business in the district, the last contract being the fitting of the Temperance Boardinghouse in Main Street. He is a member of the local Foresters' Lodge, and has been through all the chairs. He is also a member of the Pahiatua Fire Brigade, and was the first captain of the brigade. The photograph of Mr. Pickering was taken in his uniform, showing the medals he has won. He is a member of the Pahiatua Rifle Club. He was married in 1896 to Annie, daughter of Mr. G. Mason, of Pahiatua.
Taylor, J. C., Plumber, etc. Main Street, Pahiatua. Telegraphic address, “Taylor, Pahiatua. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence attached to business premises. Wellington agents, Messrs. John Duthie and Co., Limited. The business of Mr. J. C. Taylor was established in 1892, and it has grown amazingly. The building is of wood and iron, two stories high, and the plant embraces all that is needful for the carrying on of an extended business. Many of the largest plumbing operations of the district have been undertaken and successfully carried out by Mr. Taylor. Among them may be mentioned the Borough Council Chambers, the two business blocks in brick of Mr. T. C. Williams, the Empire Hotel, Ballance Dairy Factory, Motorua Dairy Factory, the Pahiatua Dairy Factory, the offices and warehouse of the Loan and Mercantile Agency Company, the residences of Mr. A. Williams, Councillor Tosswill, Mr. Carruthers (late engineer-in-chief), Mr. Suisted (late of Karori, Wellington), Mr. Crawford, Mr. Hodgins, Messrs. Porter Bros., Mr. Alexander Mitchell, Mr. Revel, Mr. Joseph Milne, Doctor Gault, Mr. Gifford, Mr. Charles Avery, Mr. David Taylor Mr. Russell, of Tutaekara; Mr. T. Hughes, Mrs. Baker, Mr. McCardle, Mr. Kennedy, Mrs. Jenson, Mr. Redman, Mrs. Wall, Mr. Quirke, Mr. O'Brien, Mr. Broome (manager of the Ballance Co-operative Dairy Co., Ltd.,) and others. Mr. Taylor's business operations extend throughout a large district, and, as the above list of names amply show, he is the favourite plumber of that part, the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company, Messrs. Cook and Gray, the Dairy Factory proprietors, etc., being among his regular customers. Mr. Taylor, whose picture is given herewith, was born at Trawalla Bridge, Victoria, and came to Invercargill, in this Colony, in 1868, since which time he has lived in Westport, Nelson, Dunedin, and Wellington, gaining his education in these various places. In 1880 he completed his apprenticeship with Mr. J. E. Hayes, of Wellington, and was immediately appointed plumber in charge of the railway workshops and stores at Christchurch. Soon after this he was transferred to Wellington, and promoted to the position of plumber for the Parliamentary Buildings. Here he remained for a period of twelve years, during which time he had experience of much value to him in his present business. It was with a view to establishing himself as above that Mr. Taylor resigned his post under Government, and with the financial result of the change Mr. Taylor is well satisfied. He is a member of the Pahiatua School Committee, and captain of the local rifle and swimming clubs. Mr. Taylor is married, and has four children. In 1889 he won the Wellington Naval Artillery's Champion Belt for the highest aggregate score for the season.
Mr. J. C. Taylor.
Brown, William, Boot and Shoe Maker, Main Street, Pahiatua. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1892.
Parkes, William, Bootmaker, Main Street, Pahiatua. Established 1888. Wratt, William, Saddler and Harness Maker, Pahiatua.
McCardle, William Wilson, Butcher Main Street, Pahiatua. Telegraphic address, “McCardle, Pahiatua.' Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, King and Sedcole Streets. Mr. McCardle established himself in business in Pahiatua in the year 1891. His premises are freehold, and are sufficiently large for the conduct of a good business, which extends over a very large district. The slaughter yards are situated on the main road, about half-a-mile out of the town. Further particulars of his career will be found under the heading “Borough of Pahiatua.”
Bottomley, Godfrey, Family Butcher, Main Road, Pahiatua. Estab. 1886.
Wairarapa Farmers' Co-operative Association, Limited, General and Produce Merchants, Ironmongers, Drapers, Grocers, Milliners. Boot and Shoe Vendors, and Dealers in Paints, Oils, Farm and Station Requisites, Main Street, Pahiatua. This business has its head office at Masterton, where it is more fully described. The premises at Pahiatua are centrally situated and carried on in a handsome new bulling, for which Messrs Penty and Ford were the architects. The local manager is Mr. Alfred Caselberg, who is the fourth son of Mr. M. Caselberg, referred to in the Masterton section. Mr. Alfred Caselberg was born at Greytown, and educated at the Wellington College. On leaving school he went into the employ of his father, and has worked his way up to his present position. He takes an active interest in local sporting matters, is a great enthusiast in cricket, and was for a term secretary of the Pahiatua Cricket Club, and of the Bush Cricket Association.
Moore, F. G., Bookseller, Stationer, Fancy Goods Dealer, and News Agent, The Premier Bookshop, Main Street, Pahiatua. Telegraphic address, “Moore, Pahiatua.” This business was established in 1888 by Mr. E. A. Haggen, of The People, and was purchased by Mr. Moore some two years later. The shop is page 1041 fairly large and well stocked. Periodicals are imported from all parts of the world, and all the leading newspapers of the Colony—daily and weekly—are to be had of Mr. Moore. The post pillar box is at Mr. Moore's shop and is cleared three times daily, the hours of collection being 7.30 a.m., 10.15 a.m., and 1 p.m. The business operations of Mr. Moore extend over a wide area. He has all the latest books by prominent authors, and fresh arrivals come by every mail. In rubber stamps a fair trade is done, Mr. Moore being agent for Messrs. Whitcombe and Tombs, of Wellington. Mr. Moore was born in Chepstowe, England, shortly before his parents left in 1866 for this Colony, per ship “Blue Jacket.” The “Blue Jacket” made the trip from port to port in about 180 days. This was her last trip, as she was destroyed by fire on her way home. Mr. Moore is a printer by profession, having been apprenticed to Mr. Hugh Thomson, of the Waipawa Mail, completing his term in 1884, after which he remained with his employer some six years. Mr. Moore is popular in the district, and does a fair business. He was for a time secretary to the local school committee. He has at the rear of the shop a job printing department, and turns out some first-class work.
Graham, John Reid, General Storekeeper, Main Street, Pahiatua. Telegraphic address, “Graham, Pahiatua.” Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This is the oldest general store in Pahiatua, being established in 1883. Ten years later Mr. Graham purchased it from Mr. Gregory, and the change of proprietorship has been followed by a large increase in the business. Mr. Graham imports his own stocks, and the departments include ironmongery, draperv grocery, crockery, boots, and house furnishings. For the delivery of these goods in town and country, Mr. Graham has special facilities, and his conveyances are at the same time used in the collection of goods for export. These include seeds, butter, and all the other lines commonly grouped under the term “colonial produce.” Being in a position to conduct an interchange of trade with the settlers, Mr. Graham is in this way able to double his turnover without any great increase of expenses, an advantage of which he gives his customers their fair share. The premises in which Mr. Graham conducts his business are commodious and convenient, and occupy a good site in the main thoroughfare, adjoining the Borough Council Chambers and Library. An efficient staff is employed, both for the sales departments and the office, and the business is conducted on well established principles. Mr. Graham was born in Perthshire, Scotland, and was educated at the parish school, Crieff. On leaving school he was apprenticed to the grocery business with the well-known firm of Messrs. John Mitchell and Co., of Glasgow. After the completion of his apprenticeship he entered into business on his own account, as a grocer in Crieff. Leaving “The Land o' Cakes,” Mr. Graham went to the United States, and thence came to this Colony in 1880. After a brief experience in Canterbury and Otago he removed to the North Island and settled in Masterton, where he managed his father's business until 1893, when he established himself at Pahiatua as above. Mr. Graham is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and when in Masterton held the office of Junior Warden. He is an enthusiastic member of the Burns Club, Pahiatua, and takes an interest in all movements for the advancement of the town and district.
Brenton, B. E., Grocer, Main Road, Pahiatua.
McPhail and Fly (William Henry McPhail and William James Fly), Livery Stable-keepers, Commercial Stables, Pahiatua. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Messrs. McPhail and Fly claim that their stables are the largest in the Wairarapa. That Pahiatua, one of the youngest towns of the district, has the largest stables, may be doubted by those who have had no actual experience of them. There are larger buildings in Masterton, for instance, but in Pahiatua all the stables belong to the one firm, which is not the case in the other towns. Messrs. McPhail and Fly's principal place is at the rear of Mr. Sullivan's Commercial Hotel, and the branches are situate one at the rear of Mr. Seymour's Club Hotel, and the other also in Main Street, opposite the Bank of New Zealand. Mr. J. Devonshire was the last proprietor, Messrs. McPhail and Fly having had possession since 1895. There are in all thirty-five stalls and ten loose-boxes; and the vehicles for hire include sulkies, gigs, dogcarts, single and double-seated buggies, expresses, drags, four-in-hands, coaches, etc. The horses are good, and well suited to the surrounding country. Though Messrs. McPhail and Fly have the monopoly of the livery stable business in Pahiatua, their charges are exceedingly moderate, and the attention cheerfully paid to customers is all that the most fastidious could exact. Tourists placing themselves in the hands of Messrs. McPhail and Fly may rely on seeing all the points of interest, as both partners are thoroughly acquainted with the district, and personally attend to the driving if required. Ballance, Nikau, Mangaone Valley, Kaitawa, Ngaturi, Makuri, Makairo, North Tiraumea, and many other new and interesting places are within easy driving distance, and the scenery met with is all too good to be missed. Mr. McPhail was born in Dunedin in 1861, and was educated there. He is familiar with the whole of the South Island and the greater portion of the North, and is therefore well able to advise tourists and others as to the best parts of the Colony from their point of view. Mr. Fly was born near Portsmouth in Hampshire, England, in 1865, and came to the Colony with his parents per ship “Peeress” in 1874. He was educated at Geraldine, near Timaru, and gained experience in his present line of business, in the employ of Mr. Archibald Hall, of Wellington Tramways fame, with whom he remained about eight years. He then began business on his own account at Eketahuna. Selling out there, he removed to Pahiatua, and after a short business career, joined Mr. McPhail as above. Both partners are married, and have four and three children respectively. From a fair experience, the writer has pleasure in recommending Messrs. McPhail and Fly to anyone needing their services. They are the proprietors of the coaches running to Ngaturi and Makuri, and are in a position to execute all business with which they may be entrusted.
Vile, Job, Coach Proprietor, Pahiatua. A line of coaches runs daily between Pahiatua and Woodville to connect with the trains to Napier and Palmerston North. Another line runs from Pahiatua to Eketahuna to connect with the trains to Wellington. Particulars of Mr. Vile's career will be found under “ex-Mayors of Pahiatua” on p. 1021.
Proctor and Mason (William Proctor and George Mason), Timber Merchants, and General Builders, Sash and Door Factory, Main Street, Pahiatua. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This important and thriving business was established by the present proprietors in 1894. The workshops and timber yards are situate at the northern end of the town, and occupy a quarter of an acre. Special facilities are afforded by the complete plant on the premises. A principal feature in the business is the manufacture of doors and sashes. Mr. William Proctor, whose name comes first in the style of the firm, is a native of Black Burton, Yorkshire, England. He came to New Zealand in the year 1893, and was associated with Mr Mason prior to the establishing of the present business. In the early part of 1896 he visited England, and returned to New Zealand towards the end of the same year. Mr. George Mason was born in Derby, England, in 1831, and came to New Zealand in 1856. Landing at Nelson, he proceeded to Marlborough and started in business as a builder, remaining there until 1893, when he came to Pahiatua. During his residence in Marlborough he devoted much of his time and money to the development of the flax industry, being one of the first to start in that business. He is married, and has a family of nine children living. In 1894 he joined with Mr. Proctor in the present business, and the firm has met with good success. Several hands are employed, and the work turned out is considered second to none in the district. A large quantity of timber is always kept on hand, and is well seasoned and ready for use.
Donaldson, James, Post-office Bakery, Main Street, Pahiatua. Estab. 1894.
Gelderd, G. F., Fruiterer and Confectioner, Fancy Goods Repository and Circulating Library, Main Street, Pahiatua. Established 1888 by present proprietor.
Hicks, Thomas, Baker, Main Street, Pahiatua. Established 1884 by present proprietor.
O'Keefe, Stephen Thomas, Manufacturing Confectioner, Main Street, Pahiatua. Established 1892.
Holder, Frank, Cordial Manufacturer, The Pahiatua Cordial Factory, Palmerston North Road, Pahiatua. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Estab. 1890.
Blair, R. and Co., Drapers and Importers, Main Street, Pahiatua.
Moncrieff, Mrs. A., Draper and Fancy Goods Dealer, Main Street, Pahiatua. Established 1892.
Trewby Bros. (Peter Trewby), Drapers and Importers, Main Street, Pahiatua, Established 1890.
Hamilton, Mrs. M., Fancy Goods Repository and Registry Office, Main Street, Pahiatua. Established July, 1896.
McBain, John, Watchmaker and Jeweller, Main Street, Pahiatua.