The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
The Pahiatua Magistrate's Court is a handsome new building situate in King Street, off the main street, at the southern end of the township. On the right side of the vestibule are situate the public office, clerk's office and magistrate's room, while on the left are the bailiff's office, witness' room, and law library. Mr. T. Hutchison, S.M., is the magistrate, and sits monthly, while the J.P.'s have sittings as occasion requires.
Mr. William Jesse Reeve, Clerk of the Court. Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages, and Registrar of Electors, is the fifth son of the late Mr. Thomas Reeve, who was a farmer at Gebbies Valley. Banks Peninsula, Canterbury. He was born at Moreton in Marsh, Gloucestershire. England, in 1855, and came with his parents to New Zealand in 1858, landing at Lyttelton. Educated in the Canterbury district, he was for some time engaged in farming with his father, after which he took a situation as schoolmaster near Waimate, South Canterbury, where he remained for two years. He shortly afterwards received the appointment of clerk of court at Waian, North Canterbury, and held that position for six years. At the same time he was clerk of the Licensing Courts of Amuri and Cheviot, and clerk and treasurer of the Amuri County Council for five years. On the 9th of March, 1891, he was appointed clerk of the Court at Pahiatua, and also filled a similar position at Eketahuna for twelve months, and was clerk to the Licensing Court at Pahiatua until it was abolished. He is a member of the local school committee, and is secretary and treasurer to that body, and also secretary of the local literary and debating society, and auditor to the Pahiatua Athletic Society and Cricket Club. He is married, and has a family of seven children.
Gould, Albert William, Barrister and Solicitor, Main Street, Pahiatua. For some years Mr. Gould occupied a seat on the Pahiatua Borough Council, but resigned his position towards the end of 1896.
Smith, G. Harold, Solicitor, Main Street, Pahiatua. Branch, Eketahuna. P.O. Box 49. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Tiraumea Road. Mr. Harold Smith was admitted a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand in 1888 by the late Mr. Justice Richmond, and has practised his profession in Pahiatua since that time. His officers are situated in a block of brick buildings in the heart of the town, and yet within easy distance of the S.M. Court. Mr. Smith is solicitor for a large number of public institutions, and is credited with having the principal legal business in the county. Further particulars of Mr. Smith's career are given under the heading “Ex-Mayors.”
Tosswill, William, Barrister and Solicitor, Main Street, Pahiatna. Mr. Tosswill was admitted to the bar in 1878, and has practised his profession in Pahiatua since 1888.
Macloskey, G. E., Barrister and Solicitor, Pahiatua.