The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
The Masterton Magistrate's Court, which was established in the old provincial days—over thirty years ago—occupies a good position not far from the Post-office corner. For a long time the Masterton Court was the sole court for the whole of the Wairarapa district, but in 1890 local courts were established at Featherston, Carterton and Greytown, constable clerks being appointed. The new courthouse—a convenient wooden structure—which was built in 1884, contains a large court-room, together with District Judge's and Stipendiary Magistrate's, clerks', solicitors', and jury rooms, besides library, the old court being used as occasion requires. Civil sittings of the Court are held fortnightly by the Stipendiary Magistrate, police and special business being taken in his absence by the local justices. The District Court, which is presided over by Judge Kettle, sits quarterly, Mr. Hutchison, S.M., has seven Courts under his supervision in addition to Masterton, viz., Featherston, Carterton, Greytown, Eketahuna. Pahiatua, Woodville, and Tinui.
Wairarapa S.M. Court Officials.
Top Row—Const. C. Smith, Clerk of Court and Bailiff, Featherston.
Const. Darby, Late Clerk of Court & Bailiff, Carterton.
Const. J. Eccleton, Clerk of Court and Bailiff, Greytown.
W. J. Reeve, Clerk of Court and Bailiff, Pahiatua.
Second Row—Mr. F. H. Ibbetson, Clerk Magistrate's Court, Masterton.
Mr. T. Hutchison, S.M. Masterton.
Wm. Scale, Late Bailiff, Magistrate's Court, Masterton.
Mr. Thomas Hutchison, Stipendiary Magistrate for the Masterton district, who is also Judge of Assessment Court, Sheriff and Returning Officer for the Wairarapa, and Chairman of the Wairarapa and Masterton Licensing Committee, was born in Dundee, Scotland, in 1855, and arrived in Auckland in the early sixties. Mr. Hutchison's education was commenced in Ireland, and finished at the Otago University. After studying law under his brother, Mr. George Hutchison, M.H.R., he was admitted a barrister of the Supreme Court by His Honor the Chief Justice in 1876. In April, 1893, after practising his profession in Wellington and Hawera for many years, Mr. Hutchison was appointed to the position he now holds. He was married in 1882 to a daughter of the late Mr. C. F. Hales, of Flat Point station, and has four sons and a daughter.
Mr. T. Hutchison, S. M.
Mr. Herbert Samuel Wardell, Stipendiary Magistrate, was born in London in 1830, and educated at Stock's School in that city. Having married Miss Thorne, of Staines, he came to Auckland in 1855, in the ship “Merchantman.” In October of that year he was appointed magistrate in charge of the district extending from the Wairoa River to the East Cape, his headquarters being Tauranga, Poverty Bay. After five years service he was appointed resident magistrate and sheriff of the Wairarapa district, which position he held for about twenty-five years, when he was appointed to the Wellington district. Upon leaving the Wairarapa to enter on his new charge, he was presented with a piece of silver plate and an illuminated address, which testified to his services in preserving peace in times of native excitement. In 1888 Mr. Wardell retired on his pension, but still acts as relieving magistrate for the Colony. Acquiring Te Whiti station on lease in 1873, he subsequently secured the freehold. The estate, which comprises about 4000 acres of hilly country between the Ruamahunga and Taueru Rivers, is leased to his sons as a sheep run. Mrs. Wardell died in 1887, and three years later Mr. Wardell married the widow of the late Mr. John Sheehan. His family consists of three sons and four daughters by his first wife, and one daughter by the second. Two of Mr. Wardell's sons live at Te Whiti, three daughters being married, viz., Mrs. Norman Beetham, Mrs. John Macrae, and Mrs. George Pearce. Mr. Wardell was one of the founders and the first president of the home for the Aged Needy in Wellington, and is a vice-president of the Wellington Fine Arts Society. He is now the senior magistrate on the bench in New Zealand.
Mr. Frederick Henry Ibbetson, Clerk of the District and Magistrate's Courts, Clerk of the Licensing Committee, Returning Officer, Registrar of Electors, and Deputy Sheriff, is the page 956 eldest son of the late Mr. F. H. Ibbetson, Deputy Commissary General for the Colony, who arrived in 1864, and, retiring from the service eight years later, died at Auckland in 1875. The subject of this notice, who was born in 1846 in Cephalonia, one of the lonian Islands, was educated in England and Ireland. Arriving in Auckland, per ship “Eagle Speed,” in 1864, he entered the Imperial service as a temporary clerk in the Treasurer's Department. Nine years later Mr. Ibbetson joined the civil service at Westport as a constable, and in 1874 he was promoted to the position of clerk and receiver of gold revenues at Cobden, and afterwards at Notown, from which place he was appointed Chief Clerk in the Treasury at Nelson, under the late Provincial Government. Subsequently he successively filled the positions of Clerk of Courts, and Receiver of Gold Revenue at Nelson, Lyell, Maori Gully, Maori Creek, Ahaura, Nelson Creek, Reefton, and Greymouth, and in 1892 received his present appointment. Mr. Ibbetson is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity, being a Past Master of the Masterton Lodge, No. 19, a member of the Royal Arch Chapter, and a Mark Master, he being one of the few who have become entitled to wear his father's aprons and jewels. In 1877 Mr. Ibbetson was married to a daughter of the late Mr. C. Kusz, of Clapham, London, and has seven children—four sons and three daughters.
Beard, William Gascoyn, Barrister and Solicitor, Queen Street, Masterton. P.O. Box 66. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Branch at Carterton. Private residence, corner of Cole and Chapel Streets. Mr. Beard was born in Shropshire, England, and belongs to a Sussex family. Coming to New Zealand in the year 1868 per ship “Excelsior,” he was admitted as a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand in March, 1874.
Bunny, Arthur Rigby, Barrister and Solicitor, Queen Street. P.O. Box 38. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. London agents, Baker and Nairn, solicitors. Private residence, Worksop Road. Mr. Bunny is a native of Newbury, Berkshire, and arrived in the Colony in 1854 with his parents, per ship “Duke of Portland,” from London. His articles, which were completed in December, 1875, were served with Adams and Kingdon, of Nelson. In January, 1876, Mr. Bunny, having passed the stipulated examination, was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand. He at once selected the Wairarapa and settled in Masterton, establishing himself in business the same year. Mr. Bunny holds quite a number of prominent appointments, among which are the following:—Borough solicitor to Masterton Council, solicitor to the Deputy Official Assignee, Masterton Trust Lands Trustees, Bank of New Zealand, Masterton Hospital Trustees, and the Government Stock Department for Wairarapa. Mr. Bunny is one of the trustees of the Masterton Public Park, and likewise of the Masterton Cemetery. For some years he has been a director of the Masterton Investment and Building Society, and is the oldest director on the present Board.
Gawith, Charles Frederick, Barrister and Solicitor, Queen Street. P.O. Box 6. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, Upper Plain. Mr. Gawith is a native of the city of Wellington, where he served his articles with Messrs. Izard and Pharazyn. He completed his articles in 1875, and having passed the necessary examinations, was admitted the same year as a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand. Immediately upon admission, Mr. Gawith decided upon Masterton as a place of residence, and at once established himself in his present practice. Mr. Gawith is solicitor to the Masterton Permanent Investment and Building Society.
Jackson, Reginald K., Barrister and Solicitor, Perry Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Dixon Street. Mr. Jackson was born at the Lower Hutt, and was articled to the Hon. P. A., now Sir Patrick Buckley, Completing his term in 1886, Mr. Jackson continued for a year with Messrs. Buckley, Stafford, and Fitzherbert, and then established himself in his profession at the Lower Hutt. In 1890 he took offices in Wellington, where he remained until March 1893, when he removed to Masterton, and located himself as above. Mr. Jackson was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of New Zealand in 1887.
Pownall, Charles A., Barrister and Solicitor, Queen Street, Masterton. P.O. Box 73. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Chamberlain Street. Mr. Pownall was born in Auckland, but came to Wellington with his late father's family when quite young. He was educated at the Thorndon School and Wellington College, and matriculated at the New Zealand and Cambridge Universities. Mr. Pownall was articled to Mr. W. B. Edwards (now Mr. Justice Edwards), of Wellington, and completed his articles in 1887. During the same year he established himself as above, and has done exceedingly well. He is solicitor for the Government Life Insurance Department and Crown Advances to Settlers Office. Mr. Pownall is popular in the district, having been thrice elected to the honourable position of mayor of Masterton. He is captain of the Masterton Rifle Volunteers, and “Worshipful Master” of the Masonic Lodge.
Skipper, Charles Philip, Barrister and Solicitor, Queen Street, Masterton. Branch at Eketahuna. Private residence, Kintoss Street. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Mr. Skipper is a native of Cambridgeshire, and was educated at Marlborough College. He was articled to Digby and Son, Lincoln's Inn Fields, and was admitted as a solicitor in 1860 in England, and as a barrister in 1876 in New Zealand. He came to the Colony in 1875 per ship “Lactura.” His London agents are Pierce, Jones and Co.