Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]

Borough Of Carterton

Borough Of Carterton.

The Borough of Carterton was formed in 1887, the township previous to that time being governed by a local board, particulars relating to which will be found in the foregoing general description. The population of the borough is estimated at 1250, and the number of dwellings at 225, the total number of ratepayers being 240, and the number of rateable properties 330. A general rate is levied of three-fourths of a penny in the pound. Mr. G. W. Deller, the mayor for 1896, has held that important position for four consecutive terms, and the members of the Council are: Messrs. W. Moore, J. Applin, John Udy, J. Stevens, George A. Fairbrother, John Bassett, W. P. Allen, John Strang, and James Hodder. At the last election (September, 1896), Mr. Adam Armstrong, one of the sitting members, was defeated by Mr. J. Hodder, and Mr. J. Strang was re-elected. The Council meets on the last Monday in the month, the town clerk being Mr. H. H. Wolters.

His Worship the Mayor, Mr. George William Deller, was first elected to this important position in 1892, and has been returned for four consecutive terms. Mr. Deller was born in London in 1854, and was educated in that city and in Hertfordshire. Coming to New Zealand per ship “St. Leonards,” which was afterwards wrecked in the English Channel, he worked for some years in Carterton, being mostly engaged in contracting for the supply of logs for saw-mills. In 1880 he established the butchery business which he still conducts, and has been very successful in his undertaking. When Carterton was declared a borough, Mr. Deller was elected as one of the members of the first council. He is chairman of the school committee, and also one of the wardens of the Taratahi-Carterton Road Board. As a page 902
The Mayor, Mr. Deller, is the second from the right.Council Chambers And Councillors, 1890.

The Mayor, Mr. Deller, is the second from the right.
Council Chambers And Councillors, 1890.

member of the craft, he belongs to the local Masonic Lodge, and is also a member of the Carterton Oddfellows' Lodge. He takes great interest in sports generally, and as one of the vice-presidents of the local football club. Mr. Deller is married, and has seven children.

Councillor Willie Moore, who has a seat on the Carterton Borough Council, was born in 1863 in Carterton, where he was educated at the local public school. Mr. Moore was brought up to mercantile life by his father, Mr. Thos. Moore, one of the principal storekeepers of the town. In Masterton he afterwards gained further experience during a residence of three years. In 1890 his father retired from active life, and Councillor Moore took over the business. He has always taken a great interest in outdoor sports, and has been captain of the local cricket club, and is president of several other clubs. A member of the Carterton Lodge of Freemasons, he was installed as W.M. in 1896. Mr. Moore held a captain's certificate in the old Carterton Rifle Volunteers, and at the examination of officers gained the highest marks of any officer in the Wairarapa. He has served two terms on the Carterton School Committee, and has been a councillor of the borough since 1893. Mr. Moore is married to a daughter of Mr. Edward Eagle, of Carterton. To Mr. Moore is also due the credit of the adoption of the early closing system in Carterton.

Councillor W. Moore.

Councillor W. Moore.

Councillor Joseph Aplin, who occupies a seat on the Carterton Borough Council, was born in Dorsetshire, England, in 1845, his education being acquired by his own exertions.
Councillor J. Aplin.

Councillor J. Aplin.

page 903 Arriving in New Zealand in 1864, he was for two years and a half engaged in contracting in Wellington. He came to the Wairarapa towards the end of 1865, settling down in Carterton, and has been engaged in farming and contracting. Mr. Aplin, who was in the volunteers for about eight years, is married and has one daughter.

Councillor John Udy is the second son of th[gap — reason: deleted] late Mr. Hart Udy, senr. Arriving in New Zealand with his father, he attended a school in Wellington, and after a few years came to the Wairarapa district, working at general farm work, till he joined his father and brothers in the Matarawa sawmill. When his father retired from the sawmill, Mr. Udy commenced farming on his own account. In 1881 he resumed sawmilling, settling at Waihakeke, which mill he is prepared to sell. His present holding, “Waiakakariki,” some seven hundred acres in extent, is sown in English grass, and stocked with sheep and cattle. Mr. John Udy and his brother, Mr. William Udy, were the first to open out the flax industry in the Carterton district. The subject of this notice constructed a bridge over the Ruamahunga, twenty-five feet in height, which was used for getting over logs to his sawmill. He is married, and has ten children. With his father and brothers he served in the Greytown Rifles for five years, under Captain Boys. At one time Mr. Udy took active interest as a member of the Greytown Cricket Club.

Councillor James Stevens, who was born in Wellington in 1852, is the third son of the late Mr. Charles Stevens, who came to the Colony in 1840. Mr. Stevens was educated at the Porirua Private School, and, till 1881, worked at varions callings, principally at mill work. Coming to the Wairarapa, he established the Carterton mill, which he has worked with great success, having cut up the bush on some 1200 acres of land. Councillor Stevens has another mill at Masterton which has been in full swing since 1895, and employs about thirty hands. Mr. Stevens is a member of the Masonic Lodge in Carterton. He is a member of the Taratahi-Carterton Road Board, and has a seat on the Carterton School Committee. In sporting, Mr. Stevens belongs to the Taratahi Jockey Club, and takes great interest in local cricket. He is a director of the Dalefield Dairy Factory. Mr. Stevens is married, and has seven children.

Councillor George Augustus Fairbrother, J.P., who was elected to the Council in 1895, is the third son of the late Mr. Richard Fairbrother, who was first mayor of the borough. Mr. Fairbrother was born in Carterton in 1858, and was educated at such local public and private schools as were available in his day. He joined his father in the storekeeping business; later he went into saw-milling, and in 1882 commenced business as a commission agent, to which reference is made hereafter. Mr. Fairbrother, who became a Good Templar at fifteen, lately represented Wairarapa at Grand Lodge meetings at New Plymouth and Auckland, and now acts as superintendent of the local tent of Juvenile Rechabites. He served on the school committee for some time, and now sits as a member of the Library Committee and of the Licensing Committee. In 1893 he made one in the triangular contest for the Wairarapa seat in the House of Representatives, but was not successful. Mr. Fair-brother is married, and has four sons and a daughter.

Councillor G. A. Fairbrother.

Councillor G. A. Fairbrother.

Mr. H. H. Wolters, Town Clerk of the Borough of Carterton, was born in Germany in 1845, and arrived in New Zealand when twenty-one years of age. He came to the Wairarapa in 1878, and for the last sixteen years has held his present position. Mr. Wolters also holds the offices of secretary of the Wairarapa South County Council and of the Taratahi-Carterton Road Board. He is, page 904 in addition, a financial and insurance agent, being district manager for the Phœnix Fire Office and for the Colonial Mutual Life Assurance Society. Mr. Wolters has a farm in the locality of the town, and spends some of his spare time as a breeder of sheep. He is married, and has four children.

Carterton Public Library, which is located n convenient premises erected for the purpose on freehold land in Library Street, was established in 1874. There are 3550 volumes, comprising a good assortment of works by standard authors. The subscription is ten shillings per annum. The officers (1896) are: Messrs. W. C. Buchanan, M.H.R. (patron), W. Booth, J.P. (president), W. Downard (secretary), E. W. Dorset, H. H. Wolters, J. Brown, W. Downard, J. Bairstow and Dr. Johnston (committee), and W. Parker (librarian).

The Carterton Fire Brigade was established in 1890. The station is situated at the back of the Marquis of Normanby Hotel. The Brigade, which holds fortnightly practices, is equipped with two of Mereweather's manual engines and the necessary appliances. The officers (1896) are: Messrs. J. A. Dudson (captain), R. Fairbrother (lieutenant), N. Dixon (foreman), and H. Wakelin (secretary).