The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Martinborough Post-Office, with which are combined the Telephone Bureau, Money Order Office, Savings Bank, and Government Life Insurance Department, is at the time of writing (1896) attached to Mr. J. Gallie's store. A new post-office has, however, just been erected in the centre of the township. This is a wooden building of modern design, with ample accommodation for the requirements of the place for some time to come. The new office was erected by co-operative workmen sent out from Wellington by the Government. Mails arrive from Wellington daily at 12:30 p m., the outgoing mail closing at 8.30 p.m., and on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 2 p.m. The mails are conveyed to and from Featherston by coach, the office being connected by telephone with that place. The postmaster is assisted by a cadet.