The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Stewart and Co
Stewart and Co. (late Greenfield and Stewart) (James Stewart, Charles Stewart, and James Hutchen), Iron, Glass, and Timber Merchants, Courtenay Place and Victoria Street, Wellington. This large and extensive business was founded by the late Mr. R. M. Greenfield and Mr. James Stewart, the present senior partner, in 1865. Mr. Greenfield, who is referred to at length as an ex-councillor for Wellington City on pp. 292–3 of this volume of the Cyclopedia, retained his connection with the firm for many years, but retired in 1877. Messrs. J. and C. Stewart were both born and brought up in Kirkcaldie, Fifeshire, Scotland. Mr. James Stewart arrived in the colonies in 1854, and, after “trying his luck” for some time on the Australian diggings, crossed the Tasman Sea, and founded the business in Wellington, as above described, in 1865. Mr. Charles Stewart came to New Zealand in 1862, landing at Port Chalmers. After spending two years in Otago, he proceeded to Wellington, and in 1865, joined the firm, with which he has ever since been connected. Mr. James Hutchen was born at Forfarshire, Scotland, and left his native land for New Zealand in 1862, per ship “Sir William Eyre,” landing in Wellington in 1864. Full particulars of the business of the firm will be found under “The Wood Trade” on pp. 764-5.