The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Clothiers, Dyers, Hatters, Etc
Clothiers, Dyers, Hatters, Etc.
Almao, V. and Sons (Vincenzo Almao, Vincenzo Muir Almao, Charles Biaggio Almao, and Sydney Chiarini Almao), Hat and Cap Manufacturers, Hosiers, and Glovers, Normanby House Hat and Cap Manufactory, 83 Lambton Quay, Wellington. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, Upper Willis Street. Mr. Almao who founder this business in 1870 in Dunedin, hails from Italy where he was a volunteer officer under Garibaldi from 1859 to 1862, and assisted in the formation of United Italy. After many years' experience in the trade in that city, in Christchurch, and in Invercargill, the business was removed to Wellington early in 1895. The firm occupy a, large double fronted shop in a central position in Lambton Quay, the windows presenting an attractive appearance. An engraving of Mr. V. Almao, the founder of the business, is given herewith.
Barber, W., and Co. (W. H. P. Barber and E. J. Barber), Dyers, Cleaners, etc., Cuba Street, Wellington. Telephone 226. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand Private residence, Coromandel page 637 Street. Agents: Wanganui, Mrs. Walker; Palmerston North, Miss Bacon; Newtown, Mrs. Jacobson; and at Lambton Quay. This extensive dyeing business was established in 1863 by the father of the present proprietors, who retired in 1882, since which time until 1893, it was conducted by the present senior partner, who was then joined by his brother. The premises are extensive and freehold, the buildings being of wood and iron, and two stories high. The machinery is driven by a neat little steam-engine of five-horse power, made by Mr. Edward Seagar, of Manners Street. The boiler is fifteen-horse-power, the additional capacity being utilized for the supply of heat throughout the establishment by means of steam pipes. Messrs. W. Barber and Co.'s trade extends all over the Colony, and occasionally even to Australia. The firm send circulars and trade lists to all parts, giving careful directions. In 1892, the senior partner visited the Old Country, and took that opportunity of greatly extending his knowledge of the recent improvements developed in the trade at Home. On his return he brought new machinery and appliances, and the firm at once added to the size of the premises as well as to the efficiency of their plant. These improvements met with a prompt recognition by the principal papers, both the Evening Post and the New Zealand Times describing the establishment at considerable length. The senior partner has taken a very great interest in civil and commercial matters, as a councillor for the city, and a director of several public companies; but as these particulars are given in connection with that gentleman's notice, under the heading of City Councillors, it is needless to repeat them here. As business men Messrs. Barber and Co. stand well with the public, and may be safely trusted to carry out all orders undertaken by them.
Cole, George Lincoln, Wholesale Tweed Hat and Cap Manufacturer, Evening Post Avenue, Willis Street, Wellington. Private residence, Ellice Street. This business was established in 1884, by the father of the present proprietor, the late Mr. E. Osborn Cole, who died in 1887. Mr. G. L. Cole was born in Victoria in 1867, and learned his trade under his father's tuition, in Wellington, succeeding to the business on the demise of the latter. The volume of business has steadily extended, twelve hands being employed, and ten sewing machines engaged, in the manufacture. The premises afford some thousand square feet of floorage space. Mr. Cole makes all kinds of tweed hats and caps, including flat and curled brimmed hats, and golf, 'varsity, firemen's, naval, football, and cricket caps. In football caps, he has succeeded in working very tasteful monograms, which are much admired. The trade extends to many parts of New Zealand, orders being regularly received from Wanganui, Hapier, Gisborne, Masterton, Nelson, Christchurch, Dunedin and elsewhere, without the employment of travellers. No better proof is needed of the estimate placed upon the goods produced in this establishment.
Davis and Clater (Henry Frederick Davis, Arthur Bartholomew Clater), Shirt makers, Tailors, Hatters, Hosiers, Men's Mercers, and General Importers, 97 and 99 Lambton Quay. Branch, 38 Willis Street. Telephone 611; P. O. Box 265 Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residences: Mr. Davis, 41 Brougham Street; Mr. Clater, 14 Levy Street. Messrs. Davis and Clater commenced business in May, 1888, in a very small way as compared to present appearances. The second number in Lambton Quay, and the branch in Willis Street have been added since the firm, in a very practical way, discovered that their venture had proved thoroughly successful. The Willis Street business was opened as a hatter's and clothier's retail and manufacturing establishment about fourteen years age, by Messrs. McEwen, Brown and Kitto, who carried it on until December, 1893, when Messrs. Davis and Clater bought the stock and sold it off rapidly to make room for newer goods. The Willis Street building is of brick, and is two lofty stories high. The shops on Lambton Quay are of wood, having been built in the days when it was almost criminal to erect brick structures on account of the frequency and violence of the earthquakes. Messrs. Davis and Clater do a good local and country trade. Their shops are in the very heart of the city, the Willis Street branch being within a few doors of the Empire Hotel, while the Lambton Quay house is nearly opposite the Occidental Hotel, and within a stone's cast of the Club Hotel, which latter might almost be called the Ministerial Hostelry, so many of the Ministers being quartered there from time to time. Being so handy, and having spared no pains to make a good name for themselves, Messrs. Davis and Clater have naturally built up an exceedingly good business; and count among their regular customers all classes from His Excellency and suite downwards. Being both importers and manufacturers in a large way, their customers have free choice between the locally-made and imported articles. In every department they have attractive novelties, both of English and Wellington make. Their trade mark is a white shirt, in the manufacture of which they have attained considerable eminence. While in the employ of the late firm of Messrs. Wilson and Richardson, Mr. Davis had charge of their shirt manufacturing and general outfitting branches, and at that time introduced many important improvements. Several of the new ideas were in time for inclusion in that firm's exhibit at the Wellington Exhibition of 1885, and were very favourably notice I by press and public. Mr. Davis is a native of Oxford, and arrived in New Zealand, per ship “Lancashire Witch,” from East India Docks, London, in 1867. For many years previous to commencing in his present business, he was with Messrs. Wilson and Richardson, where his trustworthiness and obliging disposition gained for him the goodwill alike of his employers and their customers. The writer speaks from experience on this point, being for nearly ten years a regular customer of the old firm in Mr. Davis's department. From an experience of upwards of sixteen years, therefore, the writer confidently testifies to the gentlemanly business demeanour of Mr. Davis. Mr. Clater, who is not a whit behind his partner in the qualities just mentioned, is one of the very best salesmen in Wellington—quick, but not fussy, obliging but not servile, patient but dignified. He was born at Blythe, Notts, and served his apprenticeship with Fazakerley, Griffin and Spalding, general drapers, of 42 Long Row, Nottingham. In the matter of window dressing especially, Mr. Clater reflects great credit on those who taught him the art. He attends to this himself, and tthere can be no doubt that his skill in this important detail has contributed in no small degree to the firm's success. The windows of Messrs. Davis and Clater are always attractive, being frequently changed and ever in the perfection of taste. Mr. Clater came to New Zealand per “Ruapehu” in 1885, and he too was with Messrs. Wilson and Richardson, though not for long, of course. In the matter of public offices, Mr. Clater has his list fairly begun, having undertaken page 638 and faithfully executed arduous duties in connection with the various exhibitions of birds, poultry, etc. Since his arrival in New Zealand he has taken a good deal of interest in all such matters, and is a successful breeder of canaries and other prize pets. As a cricketer, too, he is no novice, and is an enthusiastic promoter of innocent sport of all kinds. Mr. Davis has always been working for the public in some way. Besides being a prominent officer in the Navals, he is drill-instructor for the Boys' Institute, and a hard working committeeman in connection therewith. It is not too much to say that without the determined efforts of himself and colleagues, that very useful institution could never have been the credit to Wellington that it is to-day. The city owns something to Mr. Davis and those associated with him on the committee of the Boys' Institute. Hard work and responsibility, with little, if any, recognition, are their portion; but they have in addition the reward of seeing their proteges rescued from the evil, and guided into the higher paths of life. There must be genuine goodness at the heart of any man who gives up his spare time to this work. In every way Messrs. Davis and Clater are a firm to be recommended. Their stocks are good, their shops roomy and well lighted, their assistants attentive and obliging, and their work reliable.
Drummond, Miss Jane, Dressmaker, 201 Upper Willis Street, Wellington. Miss Drummond is a native of the Colony, and was apprenticed to Mr. James Smith, of Te Aro House. She completed her term in 1887, and remained at Te Aro House till 1889, when the present business was established. The business is local.
Estall, Henry William, Dyer, Taranaki Street, Wellington. Dye-house, 4 Authur Street. Private residence, Sussex Square. Mr. Estall is a native of Wellington, where he was born in 1867. He was educated at a local private school. From school he went to work in the Government Printing Office, where he was employed for two years. On leaving there he was apprent'ced to his cousin, Mr. Barber, dyer, of Cuba Street. After he had completed his apprenticeship of five years, he served Mr. Barbar for another nine years. During this time Mr. Estall studied chemistry as applied to the art of dyeing, and with the assistance of a close study of the works of J. J. Humel and Geo. H. Hurst, F.C.S., became highly proficient in dyeing. In 1894 he opened his present business, and has so far enjoyed a gratifying amount of patronage. He now finds employment for four persons besides himself, and has opened agencies at Newtown, Cuba Street, and Lambton Quay. His dye-works contain all the necessary apparatus for turning out good work. Mr. Estall, though a young man, can boast of a better grasp of his trade than many older men in it. His evenings are employed in studying matters bearing on the seiertifie development of the dyeing art. Mr. Estall's business is patronised by the élite of Wellington. During the time the dyeing trade was monopolised in the Empire City, he estimates that about 69,800 garments, besides innumerable feathers, passed through his hands. To ensure being in touch with the times Mr. Estall receives the German, French, English and American journals of the trade.
Hill, Charles and Sons (Charles Edwin James Hill, Charles John Hill, and Edwin James Hill), Hatters, Hosiers, and Gentlemen's Mercers, 61 Lambton Quay, Wellington. Telephones; Business, 392; private residence (20 Ingestre Street), 769. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Mr. C. Hill learned his trade with Messrs. Dundo and Sons, of Castle Green, Bristol, and had some years experience in Melbourne before coming to New Zealand. This business was established in 1871, in Auckland, under the style of Hill, Fenton, and Hulbert. Six years later, the Wellington establishment was opened, under its present title. The premises occupied are large and commodious, and the stock is one of the best in the city. In the manufacturing department, Messrs. Hill and Sons stand in the front rank. The firm are agents for Henry Heath, Woodrow and Sons, James E. Mills, I. and R. Morley, Tress and Co., Fownes Bros. and Co., Christie and Co., Ld., Dent Allcroft, and Welch Margetson and Co. And the agents of the firm in various parts of the colony are: Mr. Fred H. House, Wanganui; Messrs. Dee and Sons, Nelson: Messrs. Ringland and Thomas, Napier; and others. Their trade extends to all parts of New Zealand.
King, Miss M. T., Dress and Mantle Maker, Teacher of Dressmaking and Cutting, Lambton Quay, Wellington (opposite the Club Hotel). Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Miss King is a native of Paisley, which she left early in life with her parents, who had decided to make New Zealand their home. Miss King was brought up to the business in Hokitika, and subsequently went over to Melbourne, where she remained for two years, gaining valuable experience in connection with the trade. She was for ten years in business on her own account in Hokitika, and gave general satisfaction to her numerous customers for the period named. In 1892 she removed to Wellington, and established the present business. The premises occupied are of brick and two stories in height, affording a floorage space of about 2900 square feet. Miss King employs from ten to fifteen hand in connection with her business, which is steadily developing. She has several dressmaking classes for young ladies, who are thus taught one of the most useful accomplishments. Miss King has been appointed agent in Wellington for Madame M. Arnold's magic garment cutter. This wonderful invention, which, like many others, comes from America, is destined to page 639 revolutionize matters in the trade. The cutter is accompanied by a book of instructions containing a large number of patterns of recent designs. The cutter with the book of instructions is sold at a moderate price.
Levy, Abraham, Clothing Manufacturer, Manners Street, Wellington. Private residence, Broadway Terrace. Mr. Levy is contractor to the New Zealand Government for the supply of uniforms for the North Island and the West Coast of the South Island. After some eight years experience in the cclothing trade in Dunedin, he opened his factory in Wellington in 1893. The premises are well adapted to the trade, about thirty-five hands are employed. Mr. Levy manufactures for the wholesale trade only. He uses chiefly colonial tweeds, mainly from the Petone and Onehunga mills. As many as 1100 garments per month have been turned out from this factory. Mr. Levy was born in London in 1861, and was educated at the Jewish School, Bell Lane, Hounsditch. At the age of thirteen he came to New Zealand, landing at Lyttelton, and found employment with Messrs. Hallenstein Bros., in Dunedin, where he continued for eight years, but left that to start in business for himself. Since opening in Wellington, he has met with a large measure of success. Mr. Levy is a member of the Masonic fraternity. S.C.
Lush and Co. (Josiah Lush), Hatters and Mercers, 69 Willis Street, Wellington. Bankers, Bank of Australasia, London agents, Jepson Bros. and Co., London, E.C. Mr. Lush was born in London where he received his education and gained his first experience in the trade. In 1880 he embarked from London on the ship “Waitangi,“ and arrived in New Zealand in the same year. The Home experience stood him in good stead, for upon his arrival be had no difficulty in gaining employment in good houses in Auckland and Wellington. In June, 1893, the present premises were opened and stocked with a large variety of mercery of every description, and since that time Mr. Lush has had the satisfaction of seeing his returns increase monthly. In his window and in the cases inside the shop are displayed some very choice goods, in fact, all the latest London novelties. Mr. Lush has made arrangements with his London agents for the purchasing of novelties in hats, ties, scarves, braces, etc., these goods being received per direct steamer every six weeks. A specialty is made of cricketing and tennis goods, among which are to be seen some really choice lines. Though only established recently. Mr. Lush has done well, and has every prospect of succeeding.
Maxwell, Miss, Costumiére, National Chambers. Grey Street, Wellington. No one in this business in Wellington has had better opportunities to get a thorough grasp of the art of dressmaking than Miss Maxwell. After learning her business in London, she went to Redfern's, in the Isle of Wight, where a large business was done with royalty, and Miss Maxwell worked on dresses to the order of Her Majesty Queen Victoria, and other members of the royal family. Miss Maxwell also served some four years with Madame Gilbert, of Wood Street, London, and was, altogether, ten years in first-class English houses. She was also employed by Simpson, Hunt, and Young, of Glasgow, for some time. Miss Maxwell has been one year in business in Wellington. She employs six hands, and is doing a good business.
New Zealand Clothing Factory (Hallenstein Brothers, proprietors). Wellington Branch, 57 Lambton Quay. Telephone 36. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Manager, Mr. H. A. Morison, Head office, Dowling Street, Dunedin. It is about twenty years since a branch of this large concern was opened in Wellington. Further particulars will be given respecting the New Zealand Clothing Factory in the volume for Otago.
Mr. A. Robertson.
Slater, J. D., Clothier, Hatter, and Mercer, 113 Lambton Quay, Wellington. Telephone 538. Bankers, Union Bank of Australasia. Private residence, The Terrace. Mr. Joseph Daniel Slater was born in the historic town of Leicester, England, now noted for its plain and fancy hosiery. In 1858 he left London for New Zealand per ship “Zealandia.” After completing his education he learned the soft goods business in all its branches, and in 1882 established himself at Timaru. Prior to this, Mr. Slater had been in the employ of several of the largest clothing firms in the Colony, and in all cases had risen to positions of importance. In 1891, after an experience in trade in Wellington extending over some few years, he established his present business in Lambton Quay. The shop is one of the finest of its kind in the City, being about thirty feet wide by a depth of sixty feet. It is exceptionally lofty and well-lighted by a splendid double window. The building is of brick, and has a substantial business-like appearance, both stories being more than usually lofty. Mr. Slater is an importer of soft goods generally, though his main lines are tweeds and men's mercery, and his particular specialties are scarves and shirts. In these he defies competition. In all lines a good local and country trade is done. The upper story is used for packing and for the tailoring department. In this department Mr. Slater guarantees the best workmanship and the best materials, and that most important of all minor points—punctuality. He has not been in business in Wellington very long, but he has done well so far—better than he anticipated, and he is well situated to take advantage of the improvement in trade with which Wellington seems likely to be favoured.
Other Clothiers, Dyers, Hatters, Etc.
Beale, Wm. Henry, Hosiery Manufacturer, 58 Willis Street. Established 1896.
Bedggood, Miss F., Dressmaker, Cuba Street. Established 1895.
Begg, Miss A., Costumiére, Lambton Quay. Private residence, Wellington Terrace. Established 1894.
Beva, Madame Charlotte, Costumière, Willis Street. Established 1895.
Brown and Son (William Brown and Walter Brown), Hat Manufacturers, 48 Manners Street. Established 1896.
Burns, Miss Louise, Dress, Mantle and Habit Maker, 106 Lambton Quay. Baukers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1888.
Bush and Thorburn (John Thorburn and Thomas Bush), trading as the Union Clothing and Mercery Company, Clothiers and Outfitters. 1 Cuba Street. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales.
Cole, Mrs., Frances Dora, Dress and Mantle Maker Molesworth Street. Established 1884.
Collins, Misses, Dressmakers, Adelaide Road. Established 1895.
Crispe, Miss Anne Elizabeth, Dressmaker, Brougham Street.
Davis, Miss, Dressmaker, Taranaki Street.
Duff, Mrs. Agnes Robertson, Dressmaker, Mowbray Street.
Earl, Mrs. M., Dressmaker, 70 Ghuznee Street.
Edwards, Mrs. Helen, Dressmaker, Taranaki Place.
Giles, Miss Emma, Dressmaker, 4 Murphy Street.
Goff, Miss Lucy, Dressmaker, Howard Street.
Goldstein, George, Gentlemen's Mercer and Clothier, 6 Willis Street. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Established 1889.
Greenwood, Mrs. Eliza, Dress and Mantle Maker, 95 Lambton Quay. Established 1886.
Greig, Michael Thomas, Haberdasher, 196 Tinakori Road.
Hamilton, Mrs. A., Dressmaker, 81 Tory Street.
Hunter, Mrs., Elizabeth, Dress and Underclothing Maker, £80 Courtenay Place. Established 1894.
Infield, Mrs., Dressmaker, Broadway Terrace.
Leahy, Mrs., Pauline, Dress and Mantle Maker, 90 Cuba Street.
Lee, Mrs., Dressmaker, 36 Courtenay Place.
Mayer, Mrs. E. A., Mantle and Shirt Manufacturer, Customhouse Quay.
McDougall, Miss, Dressmaker, Willis Street.
McGregor, Mrs., Dress and Mantle Maker, Tinakori Road. Established 1895.
Mercer, Mrs., Dressmaker, Tainui Terrace. Established 1895.
Merry, Mrs. Alice, Dressmaker, 75 Courtenay Place.
Mullan, Miss Mary, Dressmaker, 3 Taranaki Street.
Neimann, Mrs. Wilhelmina, Dressmaker, Aro Street.
Niven, Miss Margaret Adeline, Dress and Mantle Maker, 30 Cuba Street.
Ormstein, Mrs., Dressmaker, Tory Street.
Osborn, Miss Elizabeth, Dressmaker, Manners Street. Established 1895.
Paget, Mrs., Dressmaker, Church Street.
Penlington, Mrs. Lucy H., Costumiére, Cuba, Street.
Richardson, Mrs., Dress and Mantle Maker, Lambton Quay.
Robertson, Mrs. Edith, Dressmaker, 27 Courtenay Place.
Robin, Mrs. Martha, Dressmaker, Frederick Street.
Ryan, Mrs., Dressmaker, 110 Taranaki Street.
Shelps, Mrs., Dressmaker, Taranaki Street.
Shackleford, Alfred, Manufacturing Hatter and Gentlemen's Mercer, 24 Manners Street. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Boulcott Street. Established 1890.
Smith, Miss, Dressmaker, Buckle Street.
Stinson, Mrs. Elizabeth, Dressmaker, Epuni Street.
Weaver, Miss Rose, Dressmaker, Molesworth Street.
Webb, Miss, Dressmaker, Willis Street.
Whellan, Mrs. Jane, Dressmaker Hall Street.
Whiting, Miss. Dressmaker, 90 Cuba Street.
Whitley, Miss. A., Under-clothing Manufacturer, Tory Street.
Wiener, J., Waterproof Clothing Manufacturer, Customhouse Quay.