The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Phoœnix Aerated Water and Cordial Company
Phoœnix Aerated Water and Cordial Company (Maurice Kauffman Samuel, Proprietor), Cornhill Street, Wellington. Telephone 880. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Thorndon Quay. The Phœnix Cordial Factory was established a good many years ago, and gained a high reputation for the quality of the products manufactured there. The first proprietors were Mossrs Walter Grey and Co.; but after the cessation of that company the concern was allowed to get somewhat out of condition. Since coming into the hands of Mr. Samuel, however, in January, 1895, a very marked change has been apparent. The machinery has been all put in thorough order, and many important additions made, including a seven-horse-power gas-engine, a patent water purifier and a gas purifier. All kinds of refreshing summer and winter drinks are made at the Phœnix Factory, and a good trade is done in town and country, full employment being found for eight hands. The premises are of brick and contain 6000 square feet of floorage space. The trade mark is a phœnix. The proprietor, Mr. Maurice Kauffman Samuel, was born in Sydney, and is the son of the late Mr. Kauffman Samuel, who married in Sydney and in 1842 brought his family to Wellington. Mr. Samuel, sen., then entered into partnership with Mr. Jacob Joseph, under the style of Samuel and Joseph. In 1851 the subject of this notice went to London to be educated; and, after five years' preparation at a boarding school, had a year at the London University School, and then returned to the Colony. This was in 1857, when Mr. Samuel was sixteen years of age. On his return he went to Timaru, and at twenty years of age was the page 613 owner of a store there. In those days, he took an interest in horseracing, and, besides many other races, won the Maiden Plate against Otago and Canterbury horses. In 1866 Mr. Samuei went to Hokitika and started business as an accountant and trade assignee. The West Coast was flourishing in those days, and money was free. A sovereign each was the “small” charge for landing the passengers from the steamers over the bar and into the port. In 1873 Mr. Samuel came to Wellington and entered into partnership with Mr. T. J. Ladd, at one time well known at the capital, under the style of Samuel, Ladd and Co., general merchants, etc., with the late Mr. Philip Moeller as a sleeping partner. The firm were agents for the Standard Insurance Company, and placed all the Wellington shares of that company. After a while Mr. Ladd retired from the firm, and was soon followed by Mr. Samuel, leaving Mr. Moeller to carry on alone. Since that time to the present Mr. Samuel has been practically out of business, and his return to it after so many years was a surprise to his friends. He is working up a good business, and has every prospect of doing well. Mr. Samuel is an unattached Mason, having been initiated many years ago at Coromandel. In his younger days he was a cricketer of some standing, being included in the first eleven at Napier in the seventies, and playing for Timaru against Oamaru in 1864.