The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Builders And Contractors. — Including-Bricklayers; Building, Road, Bridge, and General Contractors; Carpenters and Joiners; Monumental Masons and Sculptors; Plasterers
Builders And Contractors.
Including-Bricklayers; Building, Road, Bridge, and General Contractors; Carpenters and Joiners; Monumental Masons and Sculptors; Plasterers.
Baker, George, Builder and Contractor, 70 Brougham Street, Wellington. Mr. Baker was born in London, in 1840, and arrived at Wellington, by the ship “Lady Nugent,” with his parents, a year later. When he was old enough, he worked with his father, Mr. George Baker, Senior, who was one of the pioneers of the building trade. In his father's company, he visited Victoria when a young man, and was at Ballarat. When his father returned to Wellington, the subject of this notice came with him, making his home at Baker's Hill, Karori. He worked as a journeyman carpenter for a few years, and then entered into business on his own account. Mr. Baker was married in Wellington, and has twelve children—five sons and seven daughters. For many years past he has lived in his present residence in Brougham Street. His contracts have been almost exclusively private residences, and he now has his time mostly occupied in building properties on his own account. He has been a member of the Eechabite Order for the past eighteen years. Mr. Baker is a hale and hearty gentleman, and it is hoped that he will live for many years to enjoy the competence he has earned by assiduous devotion to business.
Barry and McDowall, Builders and Contractors, Pipitea Street, Wellington. It is well said that men are known by their works, and the application in this sense is highly complimentary to the firm of Barry and McDowall, who, for the past thirty years, have been connected with the erection of many of the leading public and private buildings in Wellington and the surrounding districts. A glance at these but shows the eminence they have attained. The buildings erected by this firm would be a credit to any contracting firm in the world. Had the first building they completed been unsatisfactory, the others would not have been entrusted to them; but as it was, one succeeded and others soon followed, until a list was completed which deserves a notice on the pedestal of Wellington building fame. The Wellington Hospital was the first important building erected by them. It was one of the earliest brick buildings of any note in Wellington. Then followed in quick succession the Taranaki Street School, the Supreme Court buildings, the Post Office, the National Mutual Life Society's offices, the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company's premises, the School of Design, Messrs. Sargood, Sou and Ewen's fine block, and other buildings of less magnitude. The firm also built several bridges throughout the country. It is unnecessary to dilate on the success of those undertakings, as a glance at the names of these institutions and public buildings is sufficient to prove the prominence Messra. Barry and McDowall have attained. The last contract the firm undertook before retiring from business was Mr. Quick's Buildings in Featherston Street.
New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Buildings, erected by Messrs. Barry and McDowall, from plans by Mr. Thos. Turnbull.
Mr. William McDowall is certainly deserving of distinction as one of the founders of this city, and without his life-sketch the biographical history of Wellington would be incomplete, as he has been one of her most worthy and respected citizens since the days when tents, shanties and whares dotted the country where is now the handsome city of Wellington. Mr. McDowall is a native of Kirkudbrightshire, Scotland, where he was born on the 7th of August, 1835. Educated at the local school, he was bound at an early age as an apprentice to the building trade with Mr. James Gordon at Castle Douglas. It may be mentioned that James Gordon was the principal builder of the district, so that Mr. McDowall learned his trade under most favourable circumstances. After serving his apprenticeship he worked for a few years at his trade, and further continued his endeavours in becoming proficient in all which pertained to the trade which he had so much at heart. Then Mr. McDowall, like so many others, heard of the golden prospects of Australia, and after due considertion, he bade farewell to the land which gave him birth, and in the beginning of the year 1857 set sail in the ship “Negotiator,” landing in Melbourne after a monotonous and lengthy voyage. After his arrival he spent a few weeks in Melbourne working as journeyman on some works which were in course of erection. It was in that city that he chanced to become acquainted with Mr. James Barry, who was destined to be Mr. McDowall's life-long friend and partner during the whole of his business career. Shortly afterwards, he found himself suffering from a serious but prevalent complaint, viz., gold-fever, and was one of the many who tried their luck at the diggings at Ballarat, and sought to win the much-prized metal from mother earth, with varying success. In 1861 the rush set in for New Zealand, and Mr. McDowall decided to join it, and proceeded to that Colony. Landing in Otago, he joined in the search for gold, and was at the famous Dunstan diggings. The fickle goddess, luck, seemed to have turned her back on him, for, during the next few years he worked at mining and page 601 prospecting for gold, but all to no purpose, so he returned to Otago, and after working at his trade for a time, left by a sailing vessel for Peru, South America. Being very restless, he stayed there only for four mouths, and then returned to New Zealand, landing this time at Wellington in July, 1864. This was the turning point in his fortune, for after having worked at his old trade of building for some time, and seeing that things were especially good in the trade, he started in business for himself, taking as a partner his old friend. Mr. James Barry, the partnership turning out to be a most successful and profitable one for both parties. As a private citizen his character is above reproach, and he is esteemed and respected both by his friends and the general public for the ability, shrewdness, and business capacity which he has exhibited during the whole of his career in this city. Like many another old colonist, Mr. McDowall felt a desire to once more see his native country, from which he had been separated for such a length of time, and in 1891 he took a trip to the Old Land and spent some months revisiting scenes which were familiar to him in boyhood.
Boyd, John James, Builder, Wellesley Block, Somerset Avenue, Wellington. Mr. Boyd has been most successful as a speculative builder. He was born at Hull, Yorkshire, in 1851, and was apprenticed to the carpentering trade, serving seven years, twelve months of which he spent in the drawing office, where he gained the knowledge which has enabled him to be his own architect in later years. After four years at sea, he came to Wellington, by the ship “Hindostan,” in 1873. Starting in business, he undertook general contracting as a builder, but subsequently commenced buying land and erecting buildings on his own account. He now owns numerous properties in and around the city. Mr. Boyd was married in Wellington, and has four sons and three daughters. He visited his native land in 1895 and 1891, and went to Sydney in 1892, staying there for three years and then returning to Wellington.
Brown and Johnston (John Brown and Alexander Johnston), Carpenters, Joiners, Builders, and Contractors, 11 Johnston Street. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Private residences: Mr. Brown, Vogel Street; Mr. Johnston, Lipman Street. Both partners are natives of the “land o' cakes,” where they were brought up to the business of carpenters and joiners. They had large experience in their trade in the old land, and have arrived in the Colony to place their services at the disposal of their fellow colonists, Mr. Brown came in 1886 by s.s. “Arawa,” and Mr. Johnston four years later by s.s. “Tainui” After working at their (.ade for some time they founded the present business in 1892, and have conducted a steadily growing trade since its inauguration. They undertake all kinds of carpentering and joinery work, as also the building of houses or other premises, by contract or otherwise. Their trade is entirely local. In addition to general work as above they make a specialty of the manufacture of golf clubs, of which they have turned out a good few. The firm will also repair such clubs when damaged. The building occupied is of wood, and one story in height, having a floorage space of about 1750 feet.
Carmichael and Son (Robert Carmichael and Thomas Carmichael), Builders and Contractors. Shop and Yards, Hawkestone Crescent, Wellington. Telephone 892. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residences: Mr. R. Carmichael, 47 Ingestre Street; Mr. T. Carmichael, Happy Valley. Both partners were born in Belfast. Mr. Carmichael was apprenticed to Mr. John Pearce, of the same town, and came out to New Zealand, accompanied by his son, in 1864, per ship “Zambesi,” which arrived in Lyttelton on the 15th of September. Mr. T. Carmichael was educated at the City of the Plains, and learned his business partly with the late Mr. D. Reese, and partly with Messrs. Allen and Sons, Papanui Road, Christchurch. The business was established in 1889, since which time the firm have been prominent in the Colony as builders of many of the finest public and private buildings. Among the structures erected by Messrs. Carmichael and Son in Christchurch, the following may be named:—The first Exhibition building in 1882, the Metropolitan Family Hotel in Cashel Street, the bonded warehouse for Messrs. Robert Wilkin and Co. in Hereford Street, the large grain store at Addington Railway Station for Wool Bros., the Opera House in Tuam Street, the Empire, Southern Cross, and Rotherfield Hotels, the warehouses of Messrs. Chrystall and Co., and Mason, Struthers and Co., and many others for public and private purposes. At the time when the contract for building the Government Printing Office was let, Messrs. Carmichael and Son, the successful tenderers, removed to Wellington. About the same time the firm secured the contract for building the Napier Cathedral, which was completed under the direction of Mr. Robert Carmichael. In Wellington the firm has built a large number of the most important public buildings, the last of which was also the largest, being the stately pile erected to the order of the New Zealand Government Life Insurance Department. This building, which is by far the most modern in Wellington, is fitted with an hydraulic passenger lift, iron doors, and hot water apparatus, the materials for which, together with all grates, mantels, glass, sash fasteners, locks, etc., were imported by Messrs. Carmichael and Son. Among the other buildings that have been erected by this firm may be named the General Post-office, which was rebuilt after the fire which destroyed it a few years ago; the offices of the Union Steam Ship Company, the premises of the D.I.C., the Harbour Board offices now in use and the new departmental buildings opposite the Government Insurance buildings, the Free Public Library, the Gear Company's works at Petone, the last addition to the Wellington Meat Export Company's works at Waterloo Quay, the Electrical page 602 Syndicate's premises on the reclaimed land, and the new Harbour Board Offices and Wool Store. Messrs. Carmichael and Son have a most complete plant for carrying out their large contracts. Their machinery comprises two donkey engines for piledriving and one for hoisting bricks, timber, etc., planing, moulding, and dovetailing and other appliances, circular and band saws, etc. The whole of the joinery work required even in the largest contracts is made by the firm's employees, who frequently number one hundred, and sometimes considerably more. In the supply of bricks the firm has been very fortunate; their contracts with first-rate makers having been most extensive, and thus they have been enabled to push on with their contracts generally. It may be mentioned that Mr. B. Hallenstein, chairman of directors of the Drapery and General Importing Company, was so pleased with the expeditions manner in which that company's premises were completed, fitted, and finished, that he presented the firm with a premium of £100.
Clark and Thompson (Isaac Clark and Walter Lewis Thompson), Builders, Contractors, and Undertakers, Moles-worth Street. Telephone 806. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. The business was established in 1885. Mr. Clark, the senior member of the firm, is a native of England, and came to Wellington in the “Oliver Lang” in 1857, when in his infancy. Mr. Clark was apprenticed to Messrs. Gascoyne and Parsons, of Wellington. Mr. Thompson was born in Canterbury, where he received his technical training under Mr. Charles Petrie. Messrs. Clark and Thompson employ ten hands; on the average their wages-sheet amounts to £120 par month. The firm undertakes general building and contracting, in which they do a considerable trade. During the time the business has been carried on, the firm has earned a reputation for accuracy and thoroughness in the execution of all work entrusted to them. They are highly recommended by the local architects. In the steady growth of the City of Wellington there can be no doubt that the firm will secure a fair share of the contracts for which tenders will be called. They may likewise be depended upon to carry out such work in accordance with the high principles which have hitherto animated them. Mr. Clark has been connected for many years with the I.O.O.F., M.U., in which institution he has held the high office of “grand master.” In the undertaking line they are deservedly popular, as they are in a position to afford prompt and efficient assistance to their customers when their services are called into requisition.
Crump, Harry, Builder, Tasman Street, Wellington. Mr. Crump was born in Yorkshire, England, and spent a period of his early life in America. Returning after some years, he served his apprenticeship in Yorkshire. He stayed there for several years, and left England for New Zealand, by the ship “Maraval,” in 1880. He has been developing important leaseholds round Wellington, and has acquired a considerable area of land not far from Government House, where he has created a suburb during the past five years, named Clermont.
Mr. H. Crump.
Emeny, William George, Builder and Contractor, Luke's Lane, off Manners Street. Private residence, Alpha Street. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Emeny was born at Wanganui in 1859. He is a son of the late Mr. W. G. Emeny, of the Royal Oak Hotel. He was apprenticed to the trade of a cabinetmaker, but left the business and went into the building line, working for some years for Mr. James Hanson, under whom he rose to the position of shop foreman. On Mr. Ranson's retirement in 1889, Mr. Emeny succeeded, and has earned it on since with success. He has erected quite a number of buildings in Wellington, including the Boys! Institute, Mr. George London's shops and dwellings in Cuba Street, Messrs. Townsend and Paul's horse bazaar and warehouse, Victoria Street, Mr. George Bodley's premises, Lambton Quay, and the Commercial Travellers' and Warehouseman's Club. Mr. Emeny is a member of the Wellington Builders' Society.
Fraser, George, Madrew, Genera [Contractor, 10 Broadway Terrace, Wellington. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia, Palmerston North. Mr. Fraser was born in Inverness, Scotland, and came to New Zealand on the 18th of November, 1862, arriving in Otago per ship “Resolute& ” Mr. Fraser has had considerable experience as a sawmiller and contractor in the Colony. For many years he conducted sawmills at Tokomaru, Lake Waipouri, Kaitangata, Molineaux Island, and Taieri. As a contractor he constructed the west Taieri border conservatory works, Silverstream Bridge, Catlins River Railway, Gore Bridge, Catlins Eiver telegraph line, the line from Balclutha to Mataura, some portions of the Auckland wharf, and of the south and north protection works at Hokitika, Taipo Bridge, Greenstone Bridge protection works, and sludge channel at Kumara, the aerial tramway at the Lone Star and Inkerman Mines, Reefton, and many other works in different parts of the Colony. Mr. Fraser has also, in conjunction with partners, constructed the Teviot Bridge, the Clutha Bridge, Taeri and Waihola Bridges, and the Waikouaiti Bridge. For four or five years of Mr. Fraser's colonial experience he was manager for the firm of Messrs. Brogden and Son. In public life he has been chairman of road boards, and a member of school committees. He has had large experience in travelling, having visited America, Ceylon, and Valparaiso. The last place he left at the time of the war between page 603 Chili and Spain, after fighting for three days, for the Chilians. He is a millwright by trade, and has a family of three sons and three daughters.
Freeman, Henry August, Builder and Contractor, Home Street, Wellington. Mr. Freeman's parents came from England in 1842 by the barque “London,” and settled in Nelson. There Mr. Freeman served his apprenticeship to Mr. John Scott, and gained considerable experience in the trade. Afterwards he learnt boat-building under his father, Mr. Thomas Graham Freeman, who was a shipwright at Nelson, and the first to start shipbuilding at that place. In 1873 he went to Westport and commenced business as a shipbuilder, afterwards living in Reefton, in Westport, and in Nelson, and finally came to Wellington in 1889, where he has been in business up to the present time. Mr. Freeman has been in partnership for some months past with Mr. Charles Johnston, a builder of repute, under the style of Freeman and Johnston. Mr. Freeman was married in Nelson, and has eleven children—seven daughters and four sons—the eldest son being manager of the New Zealand Photographic Company.
Gray, Ebenezer, Master Builder, Oliver Street, Newtown, Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. The subject of this sketch was born in Bedford, England, in the year 1842. Apprenticed to trade at Northamptonshire, he arrived at Lyttelton in 1872 by the ship “Northampton,” after making the fastest trip for a sailing vessel recorded up to that date, viz., seventy-two days. He worked at his trade in Christchurch for the late Mr. Reece, for some time M.H.R. for that city. Removing to Greytown, in 1876 he stayed there for eleven years, during which time he built the greater part of that town, including the Wesleyan Church, Rising Sun Hotel, Foresters' Arms, Gentlemen's Club, and, in fact, was never a week idle during the time he was there. Mr. Gray came to Wellington in 1887, and was immediately successful in getting large contracts. Among the principal buildings he erected in Wellington were the Imperial Insurance Building?. Mr. Virtue's store on the reclaimed land, St. Thomas' Church. Newtown, and Mr. G. W. Smart's building in Manners Street. Mr. Gray went for a trip to England and the Continent in 1892, and was away for eleven months.
Lamberg, Charles, General Contractor, Courtenay Place and Taranaki Street, Wellington. Mr. Lamberg must be congratulated upon the success which has attended his energetic efforts in working the business up to its present lucrative position. He is a native of Sweden, arriving in this Colony in 1873, in the ship “Lainashaau,” from Germany, and owing to his foreign extraction must have found it particularly difficult to make a start for himself in a new country. However, he managed to make himself independent of any assistance and now carries on a considerable contract business in the city. He is a large employer of labour, and owns no fewer than thirty-five horses, and an equal number of carts. The contracts are mainly for supplies of sand and gravel for the City Corporation, and for building purposes, but he undertakes any other kind of transport work and carting. Owing to his reliableness, Mr. Lamberg obtains a considerable amount of work from builders and contractors, who are always ready to support him by employing his plant in connection with their undertakings.
Mead, John James, Builder, Epuni Street, Wellington. Though in business for the past twenty years, Mr. Mead has never contracted for buildings. He confines his operations to building his own properties. Born in 1852, in Derby, England, where he was educated and apprenticed to the building trade, he came to New Zealand in 1875, and settled in Wellington. Mr. Mead is a member of the Manchester Unity Order of Oddfellows, having joined at sixteen years of age, as a member of the first juvenile lodge started in Derby. He is married, and has two children.
Specimen.—T. Miller, Sculptor.
Palmer, Ernest Arthur, Builder and Contractor, Quinn Street, Wellington. Private Address, Marion Street. Wellington. After gaining several years experience in the employ of other firms, Mr. Palmer started business in conjunction with Mr. Henry Edwards, under the style of Edwards and Palmer. This was in 1887; and, although the firm has been in existence only eight years, it has been responsible for the erection of such important buildings as St. Joseph's Orphanage, Messrs. Sharland and Co.'s warehouse and offices, Messrs. Bannatyne and Co.'s premises, and several churches and schools throughout the district, and many private residences. Mr. Palmer is a member of the Builders' Association.
Mr. E. A. Palmer.
Paterson and Martin, (John Paterson and James Barry Martin), Builders, Elizabeth Stre t, Wellington, Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Although only a short time established, this firm has come into prominence owing to the number of important buildings which have been erected by it. Among the most important may be mentioned the Convalescent Home, additions to the Home for the Aged and Needy, warehouses for Messrs. W. H. Green and Co., Mr. F. C. Brailsford, and for the Wellington Woollen Company. Mr. John Paterson was born in Aberdeen in 1860 and was educated at the local school. He was apprenticed to Mr. Tuenon, of Turriff, in the north of Aberdeen. After serving his time, he went to London and improved his knowledge of the trade. He then crossed over to New York and worked at his trade for two years, when he returned to His native land. After a short time, he came to New Zealand by the s.s. “Doric,” landing in Wellington in 1884. He was employed by Messrs. Barry and McDowall for five years, and assisted in the erection of such buildings as the National Mutual Life Assurance Society's office, the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company's premises, and many others. He is a member of the Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners, of which he was Secretary for two years. He is a member of the Wellington Builders' Association. As an Oddfellow, he has belonged to the Antipodean Lodge for several years. He resides at McIntyre's Avenue. Mr. James Barry Martin also hails from the “land o' cakes”; he was born at Aberdeen on the 24th of October, 1859. He was apprenticed to Messrs Warwick and Daniel, the large builders, of Aberdeen. He afterwards went to London, and worked at the trade there for eighteen months. In company with Mr. Paterson, he came to New Zealand, and was employed by Messrs. Barry and McDowall until joining Mr, Paterson in business. Mr. Martin belongs to the same Societies as his partner.
Rand, Alexander John, Builder, 25 Owen Street. Wellington. Mr. Band who is the third son of Mr. H. T. Rand, of the “Imperial Ottoman Arsenal,” Constantinople, is an energetic man of twenty-nine summers. Born on the 13th of October, 1866, in Hampshire, England, he was educated at Constantinople, remaining there till fourteen years of age. He then went to London, and was put to the carpentering trade, and worked in the joinery department of the Thames iron works and ship building yards. After two years he went back to his native county, and worked at farming for some time. In 1886 he came to the colonies by the ship “Hampshire,” landing in Melbourne, Almost immediately he went to Sydney, and from there to Hay, and Deniliquin, and afterwards to a large station in the Riverina district, where he was engaged at his trade. He then heard of the great land boom in Melbourne, and went to that city, starting business as a builder. He was there during the height of the boom, and was very busy for about three years. In 1892 he came to Wellington, and on his arrival worked for Mr. J. L. Jacobson, builder. While contracting in Wellington, his attention was drawn to the rapid rise of the suburb of Newtown. This induced him to invest in property, and he has since been engaged in building on his own account. He has erected several very nice houses, for which he is his own architect. He is a member of the Rechabite order, and of the Builders' Association. Mr. Rand was married in Melbourne, and has a family of three—one boy and two girls.
Russell, James, Builder and Contractor, Tory Street, Wellington. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Russell was born at Bunckell, Lanarkshire, Scotland, in July, 1840, and was educated at Newmanes, about a mile from his birthplace. He was apprenticed to the building trade with Mr. Alexander Lothian, of Wishow, After completing his apprenticeship, he went to Edinburgh. After two years in that beautiful city, he came to New Zealand by the ship “Nelson,” in 1862, landing in Dunedin. Mr. Russell worked at his trade for six months, and then joined the survey party under Mr. Francis Howden, which was sent out by the provincial Government Survey Department to survey a track from Lake Wakatipu to Martin's Bay. He worked on this survey for two years, and recounts many tales of the trials and hardships he went through during that time. The party had to dig a canoe out of & totara log to go down the Lake Kakapau to the sea. A small survey party under Dr. Hector had previously been through that part, and had left a boat covered with branches for the use of Mr. Howden's party, but it had been stolen by some diggers who wished to get to the seaport. It was on this journey that the party picked up a man who was starving and dying from exposure, having lost his way. They shared their food with him, and took him with them as far as Lake Wakatipu. In 1866 Mr. Russell left Dunedin and came to Wellington, working as a journeyman for a few months, and then started in business with Mr. Downs. This partnership lasted about three years. The last house of any importance built by the firm was the present residence of the hon. the Premier. At the latter end of 1869 Mr. Downs retired from the business, and Mr. Russell has since conducted solely. Amongst the most prominent buildings erected by Mr. Russell, are Bishop Reiwood's residence, the Convent schools, various Government buildings and private residences at Wanganui and Blenheim. Mr. Russell was married in Wellington in 1863, and of his family living there are five—four daughters and one son. He has been a member of the masonic order since 1880, when he joined the Pacific Lodge, E.C. He has held various offices, including that of treasurer. Since 1868 he has been a member of the Britannia Lodge of Oddfellows, and has been through the chairs no less than three times. Mr. Russell takes a great interest in bowling; he is a member of the Wellington Club, and has been one of the representatives. He is also a prominent member of the Caledonian Society, and has been president for the past two years.
Webb, Joseph John, Builder, Constable Street, Newtown, Wellington. Mr. Webb was born in Wellington in 1850, and is the eldest son of Mr. C. F. Webb. After leaving school, he learned the business by working for his father, who was in business as a builder in Wellington. At the age of seventeen he went to Dunedin, where he worked at the trade for four years. Returning to Wellington, he established the present business. Mr. Webb has been chiefly engaged in private work, and has been fairly successful. He has been a member of the Oddfellows' Order Manchester Unity for the last twenty-five years, and has passed through all the chairs of the Wellington District. He is a member of the Newtown Bowling Club.
Wilson Bros. (James Wilson, Jun., and Archibald M. Wilson), Builders, Contractors, and Undertakers. Workshops and timber yards, 54 Cambridge Terrace. Private residence, 55 Cambridge Terrace. Telephone 905. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. The founder of this important business was the late Mr. James Wilson, who established it in 1870. Born at Ayr, Scotland, in 1836, he was educated there and apprenticed to the building trade in Scotland. In 1862 he left, his native land for New Zealand, and arrived in Dunedin in 1863, but only stayed there two years, when he came to Wellington, and in 1870 started the present business. page 607 In 1892, while superintending the erection of Mr. Edward Anderson's premises in Willis Street, he had the misfortune to meet with an accident which resulted in his death. He left a family of six sons and two daughters, and of these two sons, James and Archibald, succeeded to the business, and have carried it on ever since with great success. They also added undertaking in 1894. The late Mr. Wilson was chairman of the Mount Cook School Committee for a number of years. He was also an elder of St. John's Presbyterian Church, and was a member of the mesonic fraternity, having belonged to the Lodge Waterloo No. 13, N.Z.C.C., and his son Archibald is now a member of the same lodge. Among the numerous buildings which the firm have erected may be mentioned the Wesley church and schools, St. John's church and schools, Te Aro House, Equitable Building Society's premises, premises for Mr. Wiggins, saddler, and Mr. Reichardt, Lambton Quay, residence for Mr. John Duthie, Messrs. Wardell and Co.'s new premises, and Mr. W. F. Shortt's new auction rooms, in Willis Street. The workshops in Cambridge Terrace are properly fitted up for the manufacture of all kinds of joinery work. They have also an extensive plant for contracting work, and have special facilities for the carrying out of all kinds of jobbing work. The eldest son, James, was born in 1866, and Archibald in 1870, and they were educated at the Mount Cook school and afterwards at the Wellington College. They both learnt the trade with their father, and, judging by the number of important contracts they have already completed satisfactorily, it is certain that their names will rank among the principal building firms of the City.
Other Builders And Contractors.
Adams, William, Builder, Aro Street. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Devon Street.
Blick, Ebenezer (late Bishop and Harbottle), Builder and Contractor, Finlay Terrace. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1884.
Blick and Potter (Arthur Blick and Frederick Potter), Building Contractors, 48 Courtenay Place, Established 1895.
Brondson, Josiah, Building Contractor, Coorabe Street.
Chote, William Alfred (late Oughton and Chote), Bricklayer and Contractor, Mercer Street. Private residence, Oliver Street, Newtown.
Coleman, S., Builder, 95 Molesworth Street.
Cronin, Patrick, Road Contractor, 20 Hanson Street. Established 1885.
Daly (Owen, junr,) and Co., Bricklayers. 47 Molesworth Street. Estab, 1858.
Drummond, Peter, Building Contractor, 201 Willis Street, Established 1873.
Edwards, Henry, Building Contractor, Quinn Street. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, “The Glen,” II ankey Street.
Edwards, James, Builder, Taranaki Street. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, 86 Taranaki Street. Established 1874.
Edwards, Richard Allayne, Building Contractor, Adelaide Road.
Edwards, Richard Henry, Building Contractor, 8 Johnston Street. Private residence, 84 Majoribanks Street.
Fullford, A. H., Plasterer, Willis Street.
Harris, John, Building Contractor, Hawkestone Street.
Hayes, Timothy, Contractor, Aro Street.
Helyer, Walter James, Sculptor and Monumental Mason. Wellington Monumental Works, 59 Manners Street. Established 1872.
Hitchen, T., Builder and Contractor, 79 Manners Street.
Howard, Charles, Builder, 19 Sussex Square. Established 1875.
Jacka, Stephen Sincock, Building Contractor, Grant Road.
Keene, R. (Richard Koene and Henry Pitcher), Builder and Contractor, 12 Grey Street. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Owen Street, Newtown. Established 1886.
Kruse, John James, Contractor, 31 Queen Street.
McDonald, Archibald, Building Contractor, Stafford Street
McGill, Wm. Monumental Mason, corner of Taranaki and Ingestre Streets. Branch, Taupo Quay, Wanganui. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Established 1889.
McLean, Neil, Bridge Contractor, 82 Ghuznee Street. Established 1866.
Meyer, John Henry, Building Contractor. 40 Taranaki Street.
Miles, John E., Building Contractor, 21 Queen Street.
Miller Bros, (Herbert Miller and Henry Miller), Building Contractors, Wright Street. Established 1892.
Mountain, Arthur, Building Contractor, Ohiro Road. Bankers, “National Bank of New Zealand.
Morley, George, Bridge Contractor, 19 Cambridge Terrace.
Murdoch, Matthew, Builder, 3 Hill Street. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, 88 Courtenay Place. Established 1868.
Orr, Thomas, Building Contractor, Featherston Terrace. Established 1876.
Peers, Thomas Crosby, Builder, Exchange Buildings, Grey Street. Private residence, Mein Street, Newtown. Established 1800.
Platt, E., Plasterer, Molesworth Street.
Prince, George Edward, Builder, Rintoul Street. Established 1880.
Richards, William Frederick, Building Contractor, 172 Adelaid Road.
Riggs, Alfred Henry, Builder. Lloyd Street.
Rose, John, Builder and Contractor, Hill Street. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Established 1885.
Rowntree, William Burgess, Building Contractor, Tory Street.
Saunders, Joseph. General Contractor, 72 Tinakori Road. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Established 1865.
Scamar, Alfred, Builder and Contractor, Wallace Street. Established 1874.
Trevor, James, junr., Builder, Courtenay Place. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1879.
Upton, Thomas, Building Contractor, Biddiford Street.
Wallis, William, Building Contractor, Nairn Street
Walton, Charles, Builder, Ingestre Street. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand, Private residence, 45 Abel Smith Street Established 1877.
Williams, Lawrence, Mason, Sydney Street. Established 1881.