Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]

New Zealand Volunteers

New Zealand Volunteers.

Information is given herein of the five companies of Volunteers existing in the Empire City. It may be remarked that no company of engineers has been established in Wellington. To the South Island alone belongs the honour of this class of volunteers, both Otago and Canterbury possessing corps, which were founded in 1885. Battalions of infantry volunteers have recently been established in Canterbury and Otago. No doubt in this matter Wellington will soon follow. The gentlemen whose names appear on the Unattached Active and Honorary Unattached Lists of officers of New Zealand volunteers will be referred to in order with dates of their appointments.

Unattached Active List.

Captain-Commandant the Hon Charles John Johnston, already named in this section, was promoted to his present position on the 23rd of April, 1879.

Major George Vance Shannon, particulars of whose career are given under “New Zealand Militia, Active List,” was gazetted an officer of New Zealand Volunteers on the 8th of October. 1886.

page 331

Captain William Grieve Duthie, who is mentioned as lieutenant of the Wellington City Rifles, was gazetted captain on the 22nd of May, 1886.

Captain William Reeve Haselden, New Zealand Naval Artillery, now on the Wellington District staff is an officer well-known in both Islands of New Zealand. He was born in London in 1849, and came out to Auckland with his parents per ship “Mermaid” in 1860. Educated in Auckland under private tuition, he joined the Civil Service in 1866, and two years later he was appointed Deputy Registrar of the Supreme Court at Hokitika. In 1872 he was admitted a barrister, and at once began the practice of his profession in Reefton and Westport, taking up his residence in the latter town. Here he filled many important offices. He was a Borough Councillor, a County Councillor, and was elected to the office of Mayor no fewer than five times. It was at Westport that Captain Haselden was appointed to his present military office, having taken a great interest in Volunteering for many years. In Masonry Mr. Haselden has held important offices also, among others that of Worshipful Master in both the Thistle and Phœnix Lodges. For many years, too, he was Chairman of the School Committee. In his profession he made rapid strides, and soon rose to the position of Crown Prosecutor for Westland North. In 1889 Mr. Haseldon removed to Wellington and entered into partnership with Mr. John Thompson. The partnership, however, did not last long, and since then Mr. Haselden has been on his own account. He has now a considerable practice and makes a special study of patent work. The picture given herewith shows Mr. Haselden in his professional robes. Hitherto he has taken no prominent part in colonial politics. He was, however, President of the Wellington Liberal Association, and is looked upon as a possible candidate on the Liberal side. In literary matters Mr. Haselden has done a fair amount of work. Besides contributions and articles for the press, he is the author of “The New Zealand Justice of the Peace,” “How to patent an Invention,” “Protection and Freetrade,” &c., &c., and he gained the gold medal offered by the Government in 1885 for an essay on Colonial Industries.

Captain W. R. Haselden.

Captain W. R. Haselden.

Lieutenant - Commanding Alexander Robert Hislop, who is on the Unattached Active List of New Zealand Volanteers, was born in Bendigo, Victoria, in 1855. He came to New Zealand with his parents when but ten years of age, arriving in Dunedin, where he was educated at the public and High Schools, and served his apprenticeship to the watchmaking trade. After settling in Wellington, he was for about thirteen years in that business on Lambton Quay. He is now following the profession of general commission agent, and is also secretary to the Marine Engineer's Institute. Lieut.-Commanding Bislop has for the past twenty-five years taken a keen interest in volunteering matters, first serving as a cadet, and subsequently with the Richardson Fusiliers and B Battery of Artillery in Dunedin, and, upon settling in Wellington in 1879 he accepted the position of second lieutenant in the Wellington Naval Brigade. He was promoted to be senior lieutenant of the same corps, and was ultimately asked to take command, but declined, as he thought that he could best serve his Brigade in the capacity of senior lieutenant and gunnery instructor. During Mr. Hislop's career with the Naval Brigade, he established a contingent of the Corps at Petone, now the Petone Naval Artillery, which became a separate company when Government decided to re-model the bluejacket forces, and changed them to naval artillery. It was at his suggestion that the annual camps of instruction which are now held regularly, and have proved so advantageous to his old company, were established. He organised and acted as secretary for the two Colonial Military Tournaments, Lieutenant - Commanding Alexander Robert Hislop page 332 which were held at the Hutt, and attracted competitors from all parts of New Zealand. He took an active part in the now historic Parihaka campaign, and was exceedingly popular with his officers and men, by whom he was presented on several occasions with handsome testimonials. In the year 1891 Lieutenant Hislop decided to retire from the service, and tendered his resignation, which the Defence Office declined to accept, but as a reward for his services he was promoted with the rank of Lieut.-Commanding to the Active List Unattached, and now serves on field days on the staff of the commanding officer of the district. He is also a life honorary officer of the Wellington Naval Artilery.


The Heretaunga Mounted Rifle Yolunteers was formed in the middle of 1884, and was gazetted on the 1st of January, 1885, with its headquarters at the Lower Hutt. The name Heretaunga is the Maori word for Hutt River. On its formation the Corps was called the Heretaunga Light Horse Cavalry, the first officers being Captain G. H. Scales, Lieutenants C. Izard and J. Pringle. After some seven years the Corps was changed from a cavalry to a mounted infantry company, all necessary changes being made in uniform, bridles, etc. Before the opening of the Wellington-Manawatu Railway, the Corps went into camp on two occasions respectively at Wanganui and New Plymouth, several days being occupied on the march, both going and returning. Of the sixty original members of the troop, not one remains in connection with it now. This is in consequence of repeated removals from the district, necessitating resignations. The present strength of the company as disclosed by Colonel Fox's report for 1895, shows two officers and forty non-commissioned officers and rank and file. The report on the condition of the Corps is summed up in one word, “good.” Captain John Coleman, of the Garrison Artillery, is the drill instructor of the Company. The Heretaunga Mounted Rifle Volunteers are now under the command of Lieutenant Hyde.

The Honorary Colonel His Excellency the Earl of Glasgow, G.C.M.G., was gazetted on the 5th of July, 1892. Some particulars of the Governor's career will be found on page 25.

Lieutenant Daniel Dee Hyde, who is practically in charge of the Heretaunga Mounted Rifles, was gazetted to the rank of Lieutenant on the 16th of January, 1895. Lieutenant Hyde is well known as a leading tobacconist and hairdresser. (See Professional, Commercial and Industrial).

Surgeon-Captain Albert Martin, who is mentioned under “Medical,” was appointed to the Heretaunga Mounted Rifles on the 6th of May, 1891, and is now the oldest officer of the Corps.

Nayal Artillery Volunteers.

There are fifteen corps of Naval Artillery Volunteers in New Zealand, of which there are eight in the North Island and seven in the South. These are under the general command of Major Sir Arthur Percy Douglas, Bart., N.Z.M. (late Lieutenant R.N.), as Vice-Commodore.

Major Sir Arthur Percy Douglas, Bart., N.Z.M. (late Lieutenant of the Royal Navy), is Vice-Commodore of the Naval Artillery Volunteers for the Colony. Sir Arthur is referred to as Under-Secretary for Defence on page 178.

The Wellington Naval Artillery was established on the 24th of March, 1879. The company maintains a uniform strength of about 100. Originally formed to serve afloat if called on to do so, it has turned its attention since the equipment of the fortifications of the port, to the working of the garrison artillery, now in position for the defence of the capital. It receives the best instruction from the Permanent Artillery Instructors, and is inspected every month in artillery work by Major Messenger. The Corps drills under its own officers every week, and, in addition to its gunnery instruction, it is drilled as an infantry company occasionally, Lieut. Colonel Newall, N.Z.M., inspecting the corps in infantry drill once a mouth. The company has lately been able to complete a building on the reclaimed land for the reception of two naval cutters, which it has on issue from the Government. It is a handsome structure, and has every convenience for the use of the Corps, the upper flat being a social hall, the whole tending greatly to promote the efficiency, and maintain the interest of the men. Once a year the company goes into camp for a fortnight at Mahanga Bay, just under FortBallance, for practice, and to get instruction in methods of defence of the harbour in the actual position that it would probably occupy in case of an attack. The men leave town every evening, returning at 7.30 the following morning in time for their ordinary duties. This annual camp has been the rule for some eight or nine years, and has proved of very great benefit in promoting efficiency. At the depot in Wellington the Navals have the use of a six inch disappearing gun, a seven inch R.M.L. gun, and four field Nordenfeldts for drill purposes, while the lecture-room contains the usual sections of fuses and projectiles for instructing the men. The Corps was present at the Parihaka occupation in 1880. Colonel Fox in his last report on the Volunteer Force of the Colony, speaks highly of this company.

Lieutenant-Commanding George Frederick Colin Campbell, who was appointed to a lieutenancy in the Corps in October, 1879, and was promoted to the command of the Wellington Naval Artillery on the 27th of June, 1894, is referred to as Deputy-Commissioner of Taxes on page 133.

Lieutenant Ernest Dillon Bell, of the Wellington Naval Artillery, is a son of the Hon. Sir Francis Dillon Bell, and a brother of Mr. Francis Henry Dillon Bell, M.H.R. for Wellington City. Lieutenant Bell was gazetted as lieutenant in the Navals on the 15th of April, 1891. By profession he is a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court. He is the junior partner in the firm of Bell, Gully and Izard, barristers, solicitors and notaries public, to whom reference is made under the heading “Legal.”

Lieutenant Kenneth Vincent Hume, of the Wellington Naval Artillery, is the second son of Lieutenant-Colonel Arthur Hume, Inspector of Prisons and Commissioner of Police. He was born in India in 1868, and educated at the South Devon Collegiate School, Exeter, and at Mr. Kenneth Wilon's School, Wellington, He came out to the Colony with his parents in 1880. For several years after leaving college he was employed as a purser on several of the Union Company's steamers, and for the last three years has been in the Wellington office of the Company. Lieutenant Hume was gazetted to the position in connection with the Navals on the 6th of July, 1892. He is greatly interested in athletics, and is a good swimmer, as evidenced by the fact that at the age of fifteen he saved a fellow creature from drowning in the Wellington Harbour, for which action he received the Royal Humane Society's Medal. Lieutenant Fume is an active member of the Star Boating Club, the Wellington Football Club, and the Wellington Amateur Athletic Club.

page 333

The Rev. William Campbell Waters, M.A., Honorary Chaplain of the Wellington Naval Artillery, was appointed on the 1st of July, 1889. He is referred to elsewhere as Honorary Chaplain of the Wellington Detachment of Permanent Militia, and as Vicar of St. Peter's Church under the heading “Ecclesiastical.”

New Zealand Regiment Of Artillery Volunteers.

The D Battery (Wellington) New Zealand Regiment of Artillery Volunteers, with the A Battery (Auckland), the F Battery (Napier), and the H Battery (Nelson) form the First or North Island Brigade. The D Battery was formed on the 24th of March, 1879. The last report of Colonel Fox, Inspector of New Zealand Forces, issued in 1895, says:—“The D Battery is armed with four 6in, Nordenfeldt field guns. It is the most efficient in the Colony.” Its officers number but three: Captain T. J. C. Warren, Lieutenant F. J. Rolleston, and Surgeon-Captain W. E. Collins. The non-commissioned officers and rank and file total sixty, making the full strength of the Battery sixty-three.

Captain Thomas John Cory Warren, in charge of the D Battery at Wellington, was born in Devonshire, England, where he was educated. He came to New Zealand in 1891 via India, and has since established himself in business under the style of Warren and Co., as a general merchant (see Wellington merchants). Mr. Warren joined the Corps as lieutenant in May, 1894, and was promoted to the captainey in September, 1895.

Lieutenant Francis Joseph Rolleston is the fourth son of the Hon. W. Rolleston (see Ex-Ministers), of Rangitata. Born in Christchurch on the 11th of May, 1873, he was educated at Christ's College and at Canterbury College (New Zealand University). Lieutenant Rolleston is studying for the legal profession, and was secretary to the late Judge Richmond for two and a half years. While he was at college he belonged to the College Cadets and became lieutenant, a position which he occupied or a year. He joined the D Battery as lieutenant in June, 1895.

Surgeon-Captain William Edward Collins, who is referred to under the heading “Medical,” was appointed on the 18th of May, 1880.

Rifle Companies.

The Wellington City Rifles dates its existence from the 29th of October, 1867, and is now one of the oldest formed corps in the Colony. The enrolled strength of the Company on the 1st of December, 1895, was seventy-six. The Commander is Captain Robert J. Collins, who has held that position since March, 1886. The other officers are Lieutenant William G. Duthie, and Surgeon-Captain F. Wallace Mackenzie. In general organisation and efficiency the Corps has attained to considerable excellence. The attendance, both on parade and in camp, and the general discipline of the Corps has obtained a reputation for the Company throughout the Colony. The various inspecting officers have in their reports year after year highly commended the Corps for its efficiency, and Colonel Fox in his (1895) report places it first in order of merit for special commendation and classes it as “very good indeed.” The Corps stands well in rifle competitions, many of its marksmen having maintained high places in the official records of New Zealand; others who have graduated in its ranks have become famous with the rifle, notably the Ballinger brothers, champion shots of New Zealand, The gold medal for the best shot in the North Island has been won twice by this Corps; the district medal has also on several occasions fallen to its members. In drill contests the teams representing the Corps have been invariably the winners, and the Corps occupies the unique position of having, at the Colonial Tournament in 1889, carried off the chief prizes of the day and defeated the permanent force of the Colony. In 1871 the Corps had the honour of being presented by the ladies of Wellington with a handsome set of colours. In 1868 and 1869 the Corps supplied many from its ranks for service in the field during the Maori troubles of that period, and in 1880 the Company was one of the first to volunteer for service against Te Whiti, who was taken prisoner at Parihaka. A very large number of its present members have been in the Corps for many years. Six of those at present serving wear the silver medal for long and efficient service. The Corps is a very popular one, and finds no difficulty in maintaining its full strength. In 1886 it adopted the blue uniform instead of the scarlet, and has worn it ever since with, the approval of the defence authorities. Captain Collins honours his men by admitting that his labours are pleasurable, he having much excellent material to work on. He votes his men to be all that he desires, and compliments them on their readiness to sacrifice so much time as well as taking a great deal of trouble for the good name and prestige of maintaining the reputation of the Wellington Rifle Corps

Captain Robert Joseph Collins, who has been in charge of the Wellington City—Rifles since the 7th of March, 1886, is referred to on pages 127 and 128 as accountant to the Treasury.

Lieutenant William Grieve Duthie of the Wellington City Rifles, who is the eldest son of Mr. John Duthie, M.H.R. for Wellington City, was born in 1868. His history as a volunteer commenced in August, 1890, when he joined the Wellington Rifles. His commission as a lieutenant is dated the 21st of January, 1891. Lieut. Duthie was transferred to the Wellington City Rifles in February, 1891.

Surgeon-Captain Francis Wallace Mackenzie, who is mentioned under “Medical,” was appointed to the Wellington City Rifles on the 21st of May, 1894.

The Wellington Guards were accepted as a volunteer company in July, 1879. The present officers are : — Captain, Alexander Stephen Paterson; lieutenants, John Duthie, junr., and Stanton Harcourt; hon. surgeon, Dr. Cahill; Colour-Sergeant Richards; secretary, Private Aamodt. The uniform is that of the London Grenadier Guards, viz., full dress, scarlet tunic and bearskin head-gear; drill order, white shell jacket, forage cap, badge, hand grenade. The corps has always taken a good position in shooting in New Zealand, and has included the champion rifle shots of the Colony. At present it is of full strength, and is well equipped with non-commissioned officers. The company presents a smart appearance when on parade. Martini-Henry rifles with sword-bayonets are used by the troop.

Captain Alexander Stephen Paterson, who is in charge of the Wellington Guards, is an old volunteer, having been a member of the Midlothian Coast Artillery Volunteers in Scotland in 1876. In. 1885 he was gazetted lieutenant in the Queen's Brigade of Rifle Volunteers (Royal Scots), and gained his captain's page 334 certificate of proficiency by passing through the School of Instruction at Wellington Barracks, London, under Colonel Scarlett, in that year. He came to New Zealand in 1888, and became captain and commander of the Wellington Guards on the 1st of May, 1891.

Lieutenant John Duthie, Junr., the Senior Lieutenant, joined the Guards in September, 1893. He passed his examination as captain on the 4th of July, 1894. He is a son of Mr. John Duthie, M.H.R. for Wellington City.

Lieutenant Charles James Stanton Harcourt, the Junior Lieutenant, joined the Guards in May, 1895, as acting lieutenant. He had two years previous experience in the Wanganui College Cadets. He is a son of Councillor J. B. Harcourt, of the Wellington City Corporation.

Surgeon-Captain Thomas Cahill, some particulars of whose history are given under the headings “Consuls,” “Medical,” and in connection with notice of Wellington Guards, was gazetted to the office he now holds in the New Zealand Volunteers on the 19th of December, 1884.

Hon. Chaplain the Ven. Archdeacon Richard Joshua Thorpe was appointed hon. chaplain of the Wellington Guards on the 9th of July, 1879.

Wellington Garrison Band. When organized about the year 1875 this band was known as the Artillery Band. The first conductor was Mr. R. A. Marshall. Its name was successively changed to the City Rifles Band, the Naval Brigade Band, and finally to the Wellington Garrison Band. As the Naval Brigade Band it was conducted by Mr. S. Cimino, who was succeeded by Mr. C. D. Mackintosh. It was then re-organised as a garrison band. Shortly after its re-organization, Mr. Herd, the present conductor, took it in hand, and he set to work with firmness and determination to make the band worthy of the name it bore. After great difficulty he got it away to Dunedin to the New Zealand and South Seas Exhibition Band Contest in 1890. There it won the quick step competition, and was placed sixth in the Grand Contest. This seems to have been the beginning of a successful career, for the Band was placed first in the next contest it attended at Feilding, and second at the Wellington contest in the same year. At the Dunedin contest in 1891 it was unplaced, but the following year at Wellington it took third prize. In Christchurch in 1893 it tied with Kaikorai Band for second place. The Band did not attend the Invercargill contest of 1894, but at the Timaru contest in 1895 it was third in the quick step competition and first in the grand contest, thus beating the crack bands of New Zealand. Its instrumentation is as follows :—1 E flat soprano; 3 1st cornets; 2 repiano cornets; 2 second and 2 third cornets; 5 E flat horns; 2 baritones; 3 trombones; 1 solo euphonium; 1 second cuphonium; 2 E flat bass; 2 B flat bass; side and bass drums. Its members number 28, the officers being:—Conductor, T. Herd; Band Sergeant, L. McDonald; Corporal, J. Bringans; Lance Corporal, T. E. Goodchild; Secretary, Bandsman H. Davis.

Mr. Thomas Herd, Bandmaster of the Garrison Band, was born in Liverpool, and commenced his musical career in Whitehaven, under Bandmaster Douglas, of the 10th Infantry Regiment. Mr. Herd was a member of the Whitehaven Rifle Band. He learned the flute, piccolo, and the baritone and slide trombone, and eventually was able to play any instrument in a brass band excepting only the soprano cornet. When only eighteen he was appointed conductor of the Whitchaven Refuge School Drum and Fife Band. Under his baton this band won three first prizes and one third prize in four contests, which were open to all England. Subsequently he was engaged to teach the Rising Star Drum and Fife Band, and the Frizington Drum and Fife Band. He became deputy-conductor of the 1st Cumberland A Volunteer Band, and bandmaster of the Whitehaven Model Brass Band. These bands, under his tuition, made marked progress, securing several prizes. In 1883 Mr. Herd gained second prize in a trombone contest, which was open to all England. After spending some time with his parents in Yorkshire, he accepted an engagement as solo trombone in the wellknown Black Hill Band, Yorkshire, which was composed of picked men, who always did well in contests. After the contest at Belle-Vue (Manchester) in September, 1884, in which the Black Hill Band took a high place, although competing against thirty-nine other bands, Mr. Herd left for New Zealand. Immediately after his arrival in the Colony he was appointed Bandmaster of the Timaru Garrison Band, which he worked up to a high state of efficiency. He was also principal flutist in the Timaru Orchestral Society. Mr. Herd subsequently came to Wellington, and in January, 1890, took charge of the Garrison Band, which, after five years' careful attention, he has succeeded in making one of the premier bands of New Zealand. In the seven contests in which it has taken part since Mr. Herd was placed in charge, it has won three first, two second, and two third prizes. Mr. Herd is an exceedingly popular and painstaking bandmaster. He is conductor of the Boys' Brigade Band, and devotes nearly the whole of his time to the conduct of these fine bands. He has been a vice-president of the New Zealand Bands' Association since its formation.

Bandmaster Herd

Bandmaster Herd

page 335
Medical Officers.

Surgeon-General the Hon. Morgan Stanislaus Grace, C.M.G., M.L.C., is referred to as a Wellington member of the Legislative Council and as Surgeon on the Unattached List, New Zealand Militia. The gallant and honourable gentleman was promoted to the position of Surgeon-General of New Zealand Volunteers on the 1st of April, 1887.

Brigade Surgeon Lieutenant-Colonel Julius Decimus Tripe, who is mentioned under the heading “Medical” and as Assistant-Surgeon on the Unattached List of New Zealand Militia, became Brigade Surgeon (New Zealand Volunteers) on the 7th of April, 1887.

Surgeon-Captain William Edward Collins was appointed to this position in the New Zealand Volunteer Forces on the 18th of December, 1880. He is referred to under the heading “Medical,” and in connection with the D Battery.

Surgeon-Captain Thomas Cahill, some particulars of whose history are given under the headings “Consuls,” “Medical,” and in connection with notice of Wellington Guards, was gazetted to the office he now holds in the New Zealand Volunteers on the 19th of December, 1884.

Surgeon-Captain Albert Martin, who is referred to under “Medical,” and as an officer of the Heretaunga Mounted Rifle Volunteers, was appointed an officer of the New Zealand Volunteer Force on the 6th of May, 1891.

Surgeon - Captain Francis Wallace Mackenzie was gazetted to this office on the 21st of June, 1894. He is referred to elsewhere as an officer of the Wellington City Rifles and under “Medical.”

Boating Shed Of The Naval Artillery. (Referred to on Page 332).

Boating Shed Of The Naval Artillery.
(Referred to on Page 332).