The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Hunterville Railway Station and Post and Telegraph Office, where the business of these two important branches of the public service is conducted, was opened in June, 1890. Mr. J. B. Campbell, the stationmaster, postmaster, and telegraphist, is assisted by Mr. Arthur James, as clerk, Mr. Ernest Inch, as railway porter, and Mr. Arch. Henderson, as telegraph messenger. Letters are delivered daily in Hunterville, and mails are regularly made up for all parts.
Constable Albert Alexander Crozier, Police Officer in charge of the Hunterville District, was born in 1844 in County Down, Ireland. His curly years were spent in farming, but in 1864 he joined the Royal Irish Constabulary, and served in Tyrone and Belfast. After four years' service he landed in Lyttelton, and tried his luck on the West Coast diggings, joining the police force two years later. Mr. Crozier has at different times been in charge of various stations on the West Coast of the North Island. He was appointed to the Hunterville District in 1891, and had his hands full in dealing with cases of sly-grog selling. In 1893 no less than forty-seven cases were heard, out of which thirty-five convictions were recorded, eight cases being withdrawn and four dismissed, the fines ranging from £2 10s. to £50. Mr. Crozier is also inspector of weights and measures, bailiff, and collector of agricultural statistics and taxes. He is descended from an old French Huguenot family, and his father was a kinsman of Captain Crozier, of the ship “Terror,” in the Franklyn Expedition. Mr. Crozier is married, and has two sons.
Hunterville Cemetery Board consists of Messrs. A. Simpson (chairman), A. Dalziell, M. Hale, C. R. S. McDonnell, and W. A. Floyd.
Hunterville Domain Board, which was founded in 1886, has about ten acres of land under its jurisdiction. The members for 1896 were:—Messrs. Norris (chairman), Valder, Meldrum, Ashcroft, Wilson, Ross, Suteliffe, Johnston, and Pawson. The funds are provided by public subscription.
Hunterville Public School, which was opened in 1887, was designed to accommodate fifty children. It has been considerable enlarged since that time, and will now comfortably seat 150. The roll number is 170, and the average attendance about forty less. The headmaster is assisted by two female teachers and a cadet.
Mr. Thomas B. Insoll, who has charge of the Hunterville Public School, hails from London, where he was born in 1864. Coming to New Zealand in search of health, he followed farming pursuits for some years. In 1885 he joined the Wanganui Education Board as a probationer, and was successively at the Beaconsfield and Awahuri schools, receiving his present appointment in 1890.
The Ongo State School, near Hunterville, was opened in 1892, and has an average attendance of nine. Miss M. Cooper is the teacher.
St. John the Baptist Church, Hunterville, was erected in 1886, and has accommodation for sixty worshippers.
The Rev. J. M. Devenish, who is in charge of the above church, was born in September, 1856, near New Plymouth, and was educated at St. John's College, Auckland, where he was ordained deacon by the Bishop of Auckland in 1887, and priest by the late primate, Bishop Hadfield, in 1891. Mr. Devenish's first charge was at the Upper Hutt and Pahautanui, and at various other places in the Wellington diocese, including Johnsonville. Mr. Devenish took charge of his present district (the largest in the diocese) in 1893.
The Presbyterian Church, Hunterville, occupies a fine site on a natural terrace. The ground was purchased in 1887, and two years later the church was opened. It is of wood and iron, and has accommodation for 160 worshippers; the manse was built in 1894.
The Rev. David Martin, Minister in charge of the Hunterville Preshyterian Church, was horn in County Down, Ireland, and was educated at Queen's College and the Assembly College, Belfast. Mr. Martin arrived in New Zealand in 1892, and his first charge was at Patea, after which he was transferred to the Hunterville District. Mr. Martin was married in 1895 to Miss McWilliam, of Fordell, and has one daughter. He holds services at Hunterville, Poukiore, Silverhope, Ngaruru, Rewa, and Rata.
Rangatira Masonic Lodge, No. 71, N.Z.C., which was established in 1891, holds its meetings on the Friday nearest the full moon in each month, at the Masonic Hall, Hunterville. The officers (1897) are:—Messrs. T. B. Insoll, W.M.; W. H. Bowick, S.W.; J. C. Smith, J.W.; A. E. Ashcroft, S.D.; J. Roper, J.D.; F. J. McLean, I.G.; H. J. Whitelaw, T.; W. G. Thompson, treasurer; and A. S. Brooker, secretary.
Court Hunterville, No. 7508, A.O.F. (Hunterville), meets on the last Monday in the month. The secretary is Mr. F. Marshall.
Go Ahead Lodge, I.O.G.T. (Hunterville). Mr. Allan S. Brooker is the secretary.
The Argyle Hall (Joseph Mitchell, proprietor), Milne Street, Hunterville, Telegraphic address, “Argyle, Hunterville.” This fine hall is built of wood and iron and has sitting accommodation for about 400. The stage and scenery are well adapted for the purpose intended. There are two dressing-rooms, and in the front of the building there are two offices. The whole is splendidly ventilated by six large windows. There are also back entrances and every convenience. Mr. Mitchell will at all times be glad to make any reasonable arrangements with any theatrical company that may communicate with him.
Paraekaretu Express (Hugh C. Thomson, proprietor and editor), Express office, Bruce Street, Hunterville. Telegraphic address, “Express, Hunterville.” P.O. Box 13. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This paper was established in 1893 by Mr. Joseph Ivess, lately M.H.R., who has probably established more papers than any other man in New Zealand. The building is of wood and iron, one story in height, and containing about 900 square feet of floorage space. The machinery consists of a double-royal machine and foolscap folio treadle. About five hands are employed in connection with the paper. The circulation is extensive along the route of the central railway, and, in fact, throughout all parts of the Rangitikei county. Mr. Thomson is a native of County Down, Ireland, and left for Victoria in 1861, per ship “Donald McKay.” He learned the business of a printer in Victoria, and left that colony for Hokitika in 1867. On arriving in New Zealand he was for some time on the staffs of the Evening Star and West Coast Times at Hokitika, and about 1871 started the Inanguaha Herald with Messrs. Ivess and Mirfin. In 1872 he accepted a position on the New Zealand Times in Wellington, and worked his way up from the rank of reporter to that of editor. For some time he was editor of the Wellington Evening Chronicle, subsequently he started the Waipawa Mail, and later on he edited the Christchurch Telegraph and South Canterbury Times, and the Ashburton Mail. For the last seven years he edited the Poverty Bay Herald at Gisborne, and succeeded early in 1095 to the Parackaretu Express.
Meldrum, William, Barrister and Solicitor, Milne Street, Hunterville. Telegraphic address, “Meldrum, Hunterville.” P.O. Box 2. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Milne Street Agents, Wellington, Messrs. Kirk and Atkinson. Mr. Meldrum is a son of Mr. A. [gap — reason: illegible] Meldrum, of Whangarei. He was educated at the Auckland College and Grammar School, and also at the Auckland University, and was articled to Messrs. Whittker and Russell, of Auckland, in 1884. Passing the prescribed law examinations, he was admitted by the late Mr. Justice Gillies in June, 1889. His present practice was established in 1891. Mr. Meldrum has been chairman of the Hunterville School Committee since 1893. He is a vice-president of the Rangitikei Chess Club, and holds the club's championship for 1895. He is an Auckland ex-representative in cricket and football. He is agent for the New Zealand Insurance Company.
Smith, John Carmichael, L.R.C.P.E., L.R.C.S.E., L.F.P.S.G., Physician and Surgeon, Hunterville. Mr. Smith is the eldest son of the late Dr. Smith, of Greytown North, where he was born. He was educated at Wellington College, where he passed the Junion Civil Service, Matriculation, and Medical Preliminary examinations of New Zealand University. Dr. Smith then went to Dunedin and attended classes in Faculty of Arts and Medicine, also Dunedin Hospital during 1886 and 1888. He then proceeded to Surgeon's Hall, Edinburgh, and completed his medical education by passing final examination Triple Qualification in 1891. While in Edinburgh he attended Royal Infirmary, Simpson Memorial Maternity Hospital, and Marshall Street Dispensary, &c. He obtained honours in several classes and was third for the gold meda in anatomy and medallist in pharmacy during session 1889–90. While in Edinburgh Dr. Smith was a member of the Edinburgh Australian Social Club, composed of colonials only, and committeeman during year 1890–91. He played in the first fifteen of Edinburgh Football Club during seasons 1890–90–91; was a member of Dunedin University Football Club while there; played in all inter-collegiate matches while at Wellington College, and was a good athlete while at college, being a boxer, gymnast, and member of cadet corps. Dr. Smith first practised in Greytown North and then removed to Marton, and in 1893, receiving a substantial guarantee from the residents of Paraekaretu, proceeded inland to Hunterville, where he has since resided He is surgeon to the local Foresters, and is a member of the Masonic order. In 1896 he married Margaret Vance, third daughter of Mr. G. V. Shannon, customs inspector.
Bank of New Zealand, Hunterville. This branch was opened about 1891. The establishment is in charge of Mr. Alfred Barnes.