Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]

Professional, Commercial, Industrial

Professional, Commercial, Industrial.

Brown, Byron, Auctioneer and Commission Agent, Mill Road, Otaki. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, Jubilee Road. Mr. Brown established himself in this business in 1893, and is the only resident auctioneer in Otaki. His rooms, which are centrally situated, contain the usual assortment of goods ordinarily seen in auction rooms.

Cook, Samuel, Licensed Native Interpreter, Mill Road, Otaki. Mr. Cook was born in Foxton, where his father, Mr. T. N. Cook, still resides. Educated at Mr. Finnimoor's School in Wellington, and at Foxton under the Rev. Mr. Duncan, the subject of this notice lived for some years at Waotu, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits. Having diligently studied the Maori language, he passed the perscribed examinations in Wellington, and became enrolled as a licensed native interpreter in November, 1891, when he established himself in business in Otaki. Mr. Cook undertakes commissions for either Europeans or Maoris, and has already carried through many negotiations for the sale and lease of consider able areas of native land. He often has to travel in the interests of his clients, and has visited the Waikato on several occasions.

Knocks, Alfred, Licensed Native Interpreter and Licensed Native Agent, Jubilee Road, Otaki. Mr. Knocks is a son of the late Mr. J. A. Knocks—an old settler who arrived in Port Nicholson, per ship “Minerva,” in 1826, soon afterwards settling in Otaki. Born in the district in 1852, the subject of this sketch was educated in Wellington. After many years spent in farming pursuits, in the course of which he was brought into close contact with the Maoris, Mr. Knocks passed the prescribed examinations as a native interpreter, obtaining his license in 1890, when he established himself in business. Two years later he became a licensed native agent. Mr. Knocks takes a prominent part as an interpreter and native agent in Otaki, acting for Europeans and Maoris. He has already had a great many transactions touching the sale or Alfred Knocks lease or native lands. His residence on Jubilee Road is picturesquely situated on the borders of a pretty bush, part of which is on the twenty acres Mr. Knocks owns and farms. He has served as a member of the Otaki Road Board for two years, for the latter half of which he occupied the position of chairman.

Carkeek, Morgan, J.P., Authorised Surveyor, Otaki. This gentleman, who is well known throughout New Zealand, was born in 1846 in Nelson, and educated at the local college He qualified as a surveyor under the Wellington Provincial Government, and has worked for many years as a trigonometrical surveyor in various parts of the Colony. He has also been engaged in the survey of many of the townships in the Provincial District of Wellington.

Bennett, Francis, J.P., Surveyor, Otaki.

Gordon and Sons (John Benjamin Gordon, George Gordon, and Thomas Gordon), Carpenters and Builders, River Bank Road, Otaki. Mr. John Gordon, the founder of the firm, has resided in Otaki for over forty years, many of the public and private buildings having been erected by him. Born near Chester, England, he came to Auckland in 1852 per ship “Cashmere,” and two years later settled in the district.

Warn, William John, Carpenter, Builder, and Undertaker, Mill Road, Otaki. Established 1889.

Freeman, Herbert, Coachbuilder, Wheelwright, and General Blacksmith, Otaki Coach Factory, Otaki. Mr. Freeman was born in Norwich, England, and served his apprenticeship in page 1097 Placton-on-Sea, in Essex. He came to New Zealand in 1873, per ship “La Hague.” Being a competent workman, he readily obtained employment on landing, having no less than six offers of work before leaving the ship. Mr. Freeman has been a very busy man ever since his arrival in the Colony, and on no occasion has he been without employment. The Otaki Coach Factory, which was established in 1879, has turned out a great number of vehicles of all descriptions. Mr. Freeman, having had a large experience in connection with the trade, purchased the business in 1880, and under his energetic guidance a considerable trade is done. The factory is a building of wood and iron, which contains some 2000 square feet of floorage space. A staff of skilled workmen assist in the work. The trade extends throughout the large district of which Otaki is the centre.

Thompson, Lewis and Co. (Alexander Thompson and Alfred Maurice Lewis), Aerated Water, Cordial, and Golden Ale Manufacturers, Otaki Branch, off Mill Road. (H. Knox, manager). District head office and factory, the Crystal Springs Mineral Water Works, corner of Lorne and Argyle Streets, Wellington, with factories at Dunedin and at Wanganui. The Otaki branch of this large business was established in 1893: the works are situated in a building of wood and iron, containing about 2000 square feet of floorage space. A three-horse-power steam-engine drives the machinery, which is of latest pattern, several hands being employed in the business.

Mr. Henry Knox, Manager of Messrs. Thompson, Lewis and Co.'s Otaki Factory, was born in Kent, England, and arrived in New Zealand, per ship “Zealandia,” in 1871. For three years he was employed in the large confectionery works of Mr. R. R. Murray in Dunedin, gaining a thorough knowledge of the various departments of the business. Mr. Knox was appointed manager of the Otaki Cordial Factory on its establishment in 1893.

Central Hotel (Hakaraia Te Whena, proprietor), Mill Road, Otaki. This hotel, which is of modern construction, was built in 1893. There are seventeen rooms in this house without the bar, five being sitting-rooms, one of which is specially-set apart as a ladies' private sitting-room. There is a balcony, which adds greatly to the appearance of the hostelry. A large dining-room, as well as a billiard-room with a full size table, deserve special mention. Stables, which consist of six loose-boxes and eight stalls, are situated at the rear. Mr. Hakaraia Te Whena, who was born in Otaki in 1852, was brought up as a farmer. He is a member of the Foresters' Order and holds the office of judge of the Otaki Maori Racing Club events. He is popular among those he comes in touch with in the district.

Family Hotel (J. E. McDermott, proprietor), Mill Road, Otaki. This fine hostelry was established in 1883, the present landlord having acquired the premises early in 1896 Situated in the centre of the township, the Family Hotel is a prominent object. The house contains twenty-eight rooms, all told, including nineteen bedrooms, which are completely furnished, five sitting-rooms, two of which are set apart for the use of ladies and families. There are two dining-rooms, which together afford seating accommodation for fifty guests. The building, which is constructed of wood, is a handsome two-story structure, finished in excellent style Each bedroom is supplied with a strong rope as a means of escape in the event of fire; and, in addition to this precaution, a wooden staircase outside the building affords a means of exit from the upper floor to the ground. There is a fine piano in one of the sitting-rooms upstairs, and another is placed in one of the parlours below. For travellers there is a good commercial-room and a large sample-room. At the back of the hotel there are large stables, comprising ten stalls and nine loose-boxes. These have been specially constructed for the use of the racing fraternity, who frequent this house in large numbers at the time of the several race meetings. Mr. McDermott, the host, was born in Wellington, and after some years, during which he was engaged in farming pursuits, he settled in Halcombe, where he was a wood merchant for about ten years before taking up his abode in Otaki.

Jubilee Hotel (George McBeath, proprietor), Jubilee Road, Otaki. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Established in 1890 by the late Mr. James Thomas, whose widow Mr. McBeath married in 1894. the Jubilee Hotel is the leading hostelry in the district. Erected on a freehold section of five acres, it is a two-story wooden building having a verandah and balcony, containing fifteen bedrooms, six sitting-rooms, commercial-room, and a good dining-room that will seat thirty guests. The stabling accommodation comprises four stalls and eight loose-boxes, with two good paddocks adjoining. There are also two large tennis courts, which are leased to the local
Jubilee Hotel

Photo by Mr. A. E. Anderson

tennis club. The Otaki Club has for four years past had its club-room in the Jubilee Hotel. As the conveniences were inadequate, the proprietor has recently erected a handsome two-story club-house with balcony and verandah. This fine building, which is detached, will provide a club-room nineteen feet by twenty-four and a billiard-room twenty-four feet square. These rooms, which are situated on the ground floor, are furnished as elegantly as the best city club rooms. The building is leased to the Otaki Club. The Masonic Hall upstairs, which is thirty-four by twenty-four feet, and is provided with a separate entrance, is sub-let to the local Lodge. The genial host is to be congratulated on the finish and appointments of the new building. Born in the Orkney Islands in 1834, Mr. McBeath came to the colonies in 1852, and had many years experience on the Victorian, New South Wales, Otago, and West Coast goldfields. On leaving Notown and Nelson Creek, in Westland, Mr. McBeath was the recipient of illuminated addresses testifying to his zeal in public matters. Before becoming licensee of the Jubilee Hotel, Mr. McBeath had the Telegraph Hotel, and afterwards the Family Hotel in Otaki.

Railway Hotel (D. Quill, proprietor), Otaki. Established 1892.

Telegraph Hotel (H. W. Sharp, proprietor), corner of Mill and Post Office Roads, Otaki. Established 1875

page 1098

Giles, John, Farrier and General Blacksmith, near Railway Hotel and Railway Station, Otaki. This business was established early in 1896 by the present owner, who served his apprenticeship with Mr. W. T. Wood, blacksmith, of Palmerston North. Completing his term in 1893, Mr. Giles continued in the same establishment, gaining valuable experience, until deciding to commence on his own account in Otaki. His smithy, one of the finest in the district, is equipped with all the latest appliances. Mr. Giles is an expert tradesman, and bestows personal attention on the conduct of his business. He has already considerably extended his trade, having established a branch shop at Te Horo, where he attends one day in each week.

Lorigan, John Patrick, Farrier and General Blacksmith, Otaki. Mr. Lorigan was born in Hawkes Bay, served his apprenticeship with Mr. Lawton, of Taradale, and was for ten years in business on his own account in Napier. The present business was established in 1888. The wood and iron building occupied contains 500 square feet of floorage space.

Mason, H. A., Plumber, Mill Road, Otaki. Established 1896.

Williams, Charles Henry, Plumber and Tinsmith, Mill Road, Otaki. Private residence, River Bank Road.

McCleland, Thomas, Boot and Shoemaker, Otaki. Mr. McCleland was born in Gu[unclear: ern]sey, Channel Islands, where he served his apprenticeship to the business. After completing his term he decided to emigrate to the colonies, and embarked in the good ship “Oliver Lang,” commanded by Captain Mundell, arriving in New Zealand in 1858. Mr. McCleland was favourably impressed with the colonies on arrival, and decided to commence business on his own account in Wellington. For over twenty years he was well known as the proprietor of a boot and shoemaker's shop in Te Aro. He did a good business till the year 1879, when a destructive fire occured. The fire commenced in the Opera House in Manners Street, and, spreading to the Wesleyan Church across the street, destroyed a large block of business premises fronting Cuba, Manners, and Dixon Streets. Mr. MeCleland is said to have lost £1500 by this destructive fire, in consequence of which he removed to Otaki, where he was the second to open business in this line. At the present time this is the oldest boot and shoe establishment in the district. Since settling in Otaki Mr. McCleland has experienced busy and prosperous times, and a great deal of improvement has been effected in the town and district. Mr. McCleland has always taken an active part in local politics, and has ever sought to further the advancement of this progressive town. He has zealously assisted as a member of the Otaki Road Board, and as a school committeeman has lent his ready aid to the cause of education.

Pepper, Benjamin, Saddle and Harness Manufacturer, Mill Road, Otaki. Established 1881. The subject of this sketch is a native of Stanley, England, and served his apprenticeship to the trade with Mr. Dickson, of North Froningham, near Driffield, England. After acquiring the highest skill in his trade, he sailed for New Zealand in the ship “Bombay,” under the command of Captain Nuller, and arrived in New Zealand in 1861, and was at once so favourably impressed with the Colony that he determined to make it his home. Some time after he proceeded to Auckland, and readily secured an engagement with Mr. Crowther, then the leading livery stable proprietor (who has since retired from that busines, and undertaken the more honourable occupation of representing that district in the House of Representatives). During the seven years' engagement with Mr. Crowther, Mr. Pepper held the highest position of trust and esteem, and whilst there had the honour of preparing the horses and vehicles for the reception of H.R.H. the Duke of Edinburgh on his visit to this Colony. The excellence of Mr. Pepper's workmanship has made such a reputation for him that he has repeatedly had to decline very remunerative engagements with leading manufacturers in this Colony. He conducted for some considerable time businesses at Lyttelton, the West Coast, Palmerston, and Foxton, finally establishing the first saddlery business in Otaki. Mr. Pepper has not confined his efforts to this business only, but, colonist-like, has put in considerable time on the goldfields—the West Coast and the Thames. It was while on the latter field that he held a full share in the “John Buck” mine at Tararu Creek, which has made its name notorious in the history of the Colony, but, unfortunately for him, he sold out his interest before its success was assured. Taking all things into consideration, Mr. Pepper has been a good colonist, and is now doing a fair business a the trade in which he excels, and which is not confined to the town, but extends to the surrounding districts. Mail contractors, such as Messrs. Young, McCarrow, A. Hall, and others have sent work to Mr Pepper as far as 100 miles.

Swainson and Mason (Herbert Parks Swainson and William John Mason), Wool Scourers, Fellmongers and Wool Buyers, Otaki. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. This business, which was established by Mr. Walter Stackwood in September, 1894, was conducted under the style of Stackwood and Mason till July, 1895, when Mr. Swainson bought the founder's interest. Mr. Mason was born in London, and came to the colonies per R.M.S. “Ballarat” in 1891. He was a cadet for three years, and obtained a good general knowledge of station life, joining Mr. Stack wood in the fellmongery and wool scouring business shortly after its establishment. The firm have erected large buildings of wood and iron, which afford a total floorage space of over 2000 feet. An eight-horse power steam-engine is used on the works for driving the machinery. A fine Californian pump is utilised to supply the large quantity of water that is used on the premises. A powerful woods-press of the latest design is also brought frequently into requisition. Messrs. Swainson and Mason employ a competent staff of workmen to assist in the business, and one of the best known experts in wool-classing has been retained by the firm, and is permanently engaged on the works. The produce of the establishment is about thirty bales per month, which is exported to the markets of the Old World. The firm make a speciality of the fellmongering branch of the business, and intend at an early date to erect a complete boiling-down plaut. Their trade mark is the letters “S” and, “M.”

Neary, William, Saddler and Harness Maker. Mill Road, Otaki. Estab. 1895. Wright William. Boot and Shoemaker, Mill Road, Otaki. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Established 1889.

Ryder, Frederick James, Butcher and Farmer, corner of Mill and Post-office Roads, Otaki. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. In 1877 Mr. W. Bell established this butchery, which does the leading business in the district, Mr. Ryder having acquired the business some nine years ago. About four bullocks and thirty sheep are killed weekly at the slaughter-yards on Mr. Ryder's farm. Meat is delivered daily from Ohau to Waikanae. Mr. Ryder, who is a self-made man, was born in Nelson, being brought up. page 1099 to a settler's life with a good knowledge of the butchering trade. He is a good judge of stock, and does a considerable business as a dealer. He resides on his farm of nearly 200 acres, situate about half a mile from his business premises. In local politics Mr. Ryder has served the ratepayers as a member of the Otaki Road Board for two terms. 'An Oddfellow under the American constitution, he belongs to the local Lodge, but has declined to take office owing to the pressure of his business affairs. Mr. Ryder has done well in Otaki, and is proud of the district, and particularly of its genial climate.

Chorley, Alfred, Butcher, Post Office Road, Otaki, Established 1827.

Brown, H. M., General Storekeeper, corner of Jubilee and River Bank Roads, Otaki. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. This business, which was established in 1893, is conducted in a convenient wooden building of one story in height, which comprises a large shop and a commodious dwelling. The departments of the trade include drapery, grocery, ironmongery, crockery, and boots and shoes, in all of which lines an up-to-date stock is kept. Mr. Brown is an experienced buyer, and draws his main supplies from local markets, importing occasionally as opportunity offers. Born in Perthshire, H. M. Brown Scotland, he was brought up to the engineering trade, and came out to the Colony in 1875 under engagement to the Napier Gas Company. Arriving by ship “City of Cashmere” in Dunedin, he at once went to Napier to take up his duties. Before leaving the Company about four years after, Mr. Brown had the satisfaction of completing the erection of the plant, which he left in good working order. For fourteen years subsequently he was in business in Wairoa, first in the blacksmith and engineering trade, and afterwards as a storekeeper. During his residence in that district he was a member of the Wairoa Town Board, and of the Wairoa Harbour Board.

Cockrell, F. H., General Storekeeper, Mill Road, Otaki. This business, which was established about 1876, was acquired by the late Mr. Cockrell seven years later. The original store was destroyed by fire in 1885, the present commodious premises being erected soon afterwards. Mrs. Cockrell, widow of the late proprietor, conducts the business, which extends over a wide area.

Greenlees, D. A., Warehouseman and General Storekeeper, the Manawatu Cash Store, Mill Road, Otaki. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. P.O. Box 18. This business, which was founded in 1882, was acquired by the present owner in 1894. 'Mr. Greenlees keeps a good general stock of drapery, grocery, ironmongery, crockery, and boots and shoes, and does a considerable business.

Roxburgh and Bills (William Roxburgh and Fredreck A. Bills), Storekeepers and Traders, Otaki.

Knocks, William J., Coach Proprietor, River Bank Road, Otaki. Established in 1886, this business was acquired by the present proprietor in 1893, three coaches and twenty horses being employed. The coaches ply regularly between the Railway Station and the township, all trains being punctually met. Mr. Knocks makes a specialty of catering for the requirements of picnic, wedding, and other parties. Born in Waikanae in 1860, Mr. Knocks, who is a brother of Mr. A. Knocks, the native interpreter, spent some years as a settler before taking up the coaching trade.

Bell, Charles, Livery Stable and Coach Proprietor, behind Telegraph Hotel, Otaki.

Webber, John. Coach and Livery Stable Proprietor, Family Hotel Stables, Mill Road, Otaki.

Prouse Bros., Sawmillers, Hautere, near Otaki. Mr. W. H. Scott, manager. This firm's principal mill is situated at page 1100 Levin, their timber yards being located in Wellington. The Hautere branch mill is driven by a steam-engine of eleven-horse-power, made by Messrs. Robertson and Co., of Wellington. The plant, which includes two vertical saws and one circular saw, is of modern design. The output is about 80,000 feet per month, chiefly of totara and matai. Nine hands find regular employment at this mill, two teams of horses and sixteen bullocks being used to draw the logs. Further particulars of this enterprising firm will be found under Levin and Wellington.

Mr. William Harry Scott, Manager of Messrs. Prouse Bros'. branch mill at Hautere, near Otaki, was born in 1861, at Richmond, Nelson, where he was educated. He learned his trade with Mr. W. T. Good, builder, of Nelson, and was afterwards in the employ of Mr. Andrew Brown of the same place. During the time that the Nelson Cathedral was lighted by electricity, Mr. Scott was in charge of the plant. As foreman and engineer of the antimony mines in the sounds, he served for nearly seven years. He then accepted an important position at one of the mills of the Hawkes Bay Timber Company. Messrs. Prouse Bros, entrusted the erection of their Hautere mill to Mr. Scott, and it is worthy of remark that in less than five weeks the plant was in full swing. Mr. Scott has served in the Volunteers, in which he was most enthusiastic.

Dann, Alfred Sutton, Chemist and Druggist, River Bank Road, Otaki. Banker Bank of Australasia. Established 1892

Frost, Arthur, Baker and Confectioner, Mill Road, Otaki.

Morris, Thomas, Fruiterer and Confectioner, Mill Road, Otaki.

Robinson, John, Baker and Confectioner, Mill Road, Otaki. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Established 1892.

Neary, Mills M. A., Dress and Mantle Maker, Mill Road, Otaki.

Walkley, Herbert, General Draper, River Bank Road, Otaki. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Establised 1892

Roxboroug, Alian, Hairdresser and Tobacconist, Otaki.

Whiteborn, Arthur Goodwin. Brick Manufacturer. Taken over by present proprietor in July, 1896, from Mr. W. F. Eagle who established the business in 1894.

Moller, C. F., Watchmaker, River Bank Road, Otaki. Established 1896.

Bills, Frederick William, Farmer, Otaki. The second son of the late Mr. W. Bills, and brother of Mrs. Bright, of Otaki, the subject of this notice was born in 1849 in Wellington, where he was educated. Apprenticed as a carpenter, he afterwards conducted the Paikakariki Hotel for some years, and was subsequently a storekeeper at Pahautanui, and later at Otaki. When Mr. Bills purchased his farm on the banks of the Otaki River it was all bush. Now, however, it is in good heart, and easily supports about thirty milch cows and bears other stock. Mr. Bills served for some years as a member of the Horowhenua County Council and Otaki Road Board, from which he resigned for business reason. As a member of the craft he is attached to Otaki Lodge, No. 72, N.Z.C., and is now the treasurer, and as an Oddfellow he has passed through all the chairs. Mr. Bills is fond of racing, and often keeps horses, having been fairly successful in the sport. He has been prominent in such matters in the district, and was a member of the late Horowhenua Racing Club. In 1872 Mr. Bills was married to a daughter of the late Mr. A. Dowsett, of Wellington, and has two adopted children.

Bright, Frederick, Settler, Otaki. This old colonist was born in 1833 in Essex, England, where he was educated. For several years he was engaged in the butchering made in London before coming to Wellington, per ship “Indian Queen,” in 1857. After working three years at his trade, including some time on the Collingwood diggings, Mr. Bright entered into business in the Empire City as a pork butcher. In 1863 he started a trade in live stock with Otago, and afterwards undertook stock buying on the West Coast of the North Island for Mr. J. Gear. Subsequently he lived for several years as a settler at Paikakariki, where he kept an accommodation house, and at Pukerua, where he worked a farm. In 1875 Mr. Bright removed to Otaki, where he took the Telegraph Hotel, after conducting which for three years he again went on to his farm. The Family Hotel — one of the most prominent buildings in Otaki — was erected by Mr. Bright in 1881, and conducted by him for six years. For nearly ten years he has been engaged in agricultural pursuits — his holdings consisting of about 1000 acres in the district and some 300 acres at Pukerua. His residence is a fine two-story villa near the railway station, known as Kaingariki. In 1863 Mr. Bright was married to the eldest daughter of Mr. F. W. Bills, and has three daughters and two sons. As an Oddfellow, Mr. Bright has been a member of the Antipodean Lodge, Wellington, for thirty, five years.

Mr. F. Bright.

Mr. F. Bright.

Death, Joseph (better known as D'Ath), Sheep-farmer, Otaki. Mr. Death was born on the parish of Drinkstone. Suffolk, England, and arrived in New Zealand on January 20th, 1862, by the ship “Wild Duck,” under Captain Bishop. To gain farming experience he accepted an engagement at Waiwetu, near Lowry Bay, and two years later, in conjunction with his brother, bought out his employer's stock and goodwill. Four years after this his brother took up land on his own account in the Hutt district, where he is still located. Mr. J. Death, after two years more, went to Otaki with 800 sheep. Here he leased land, which he subsequently purchased, and from time to time added to his estate as his flocks increased. His sheep now number about 5000, mostly descended from page 1101 the Romney and Lincoln breeds which he originally purchased at very high prices. He occupies 2800 acres of land, partly located in the town itself, where he has erected his private residence, adjacent to which are commodious shearing sheds and store-rooms for wool. He regularly employs about eight hands, although at the time of writing there were thirteen, shearing, sorting, and packing wool into bales, his annual export now reaching seventy-five bales. Mr. Death believes in supporting local industries, and uses wool-presses manufactured at Masterton. Mr. Death prominently ranks among the settlers and pioneers of this Colony. He is one of the oldest residents in this district. and is to be congratulated upon his success as a colonist, especially as it is the direct result of his own personal industry and perseverance. Mr. Death has been member of the Road Board for some years.

Eagle, William Fergus, Settler, Otaki. Mr. Eagle was born in London, and came out to New Zealand per ship “Gleaner” in 1871. In his earlier days he was engaged in farming pursuits. For some eight or nine years he resided in the Wairarapa district, where he was well known. He subsequently removed to Karori, and from thence to Ohariu, where he remained till 1882, when he removed to the Otaki district. Mr. Eagle has thirty-five acres of freehold land, besides ten acres of leasehold. After living for twelve years in Otaki. he decided to establish himself in business as a brick manufacturer. He undertook the trade without previous knowledge or experience. His extensive and varied career in the Colony had been the means of developing the practical side of his nature, and being very determined to succeed in all he undertook, he despised all difficulties, and surmounted them one by one. At first Mr. Eagle made bricks by hand, which were usually called “stop-made bricks.” Such, however, was his success, that he decided to import suitable plant to provide for the manufacture of large quantities of superior bricks. In 1894 he imported a fine steam-engine of eleven-horse-power, which was set up by himself, and worked perfectly. In the same year Mr. Eagle procured a brick-making machine, capable of turning out 3000 bricks per day of eight hours. This, together with circular saw and other plant, was fitted up by the energetic proprietor in first-rate style. After working this business for some time with great success, Mr. Eagle sold out, and is now located in the district as above.

Jenkins, William, Settler, Otaki. Born in Queensberry, Isle of Sheppey, Kent, in 1815, Mr. Jenkins was apprenticed at the age of nine to a smack called “Betsy,” on which he remained six years. In 1834 he came to Hobart on a mission voyage in the “Henry Fielding,” which vessel shortly afterwards visited New Zealand. For about forty-five years Mr. Jenkins was engaged in the whaling trade on the New Zealand coast, and the bones of the last whale killed by him are in the Colonial Museum at Wellington.

Swainson, John William, Sheepfarmer and Stock Producer, Otaki. Mr. Swainson's parents arrived in Port Nicholson in the early days of settlement in New Zealand, and because settlers in the Hutt Valley, where the subject of this notice was born. Mr. Swainson established himself in 1888, on the fine farm of 2000 acres now occupied, since which time he has effected many improvements. It is known as one of the leading stock and sheep stations of the district. Mr. Swainson is well known as an energetic settler who has been prominent in furthering the advancement of the Otaki district by improving his own holding, as well as by taking part in public matters as a citizen.

Tewhiwhi, Martin, Sheepfarmer, Otaki. Born in Otaki in 1864, Mr. Tewhiwhi is a son of Parawhanake. his grand-father being a man of great renown among the natives of the West Coast. According to tradition among the people at Otkai, Martin's great grandfather came from Kawhia, and fought with and conquered the natives on this coast. He died in Otaki a very old man, and had the largest “tangi” of any yet held in that part. In 1874 Mr. Tewhiwhi married Miss M. Johns, of Little River, Canterbury, and has one child. Although he comes from such a warlike people, neither he nor his father have shown any military ability. In fact, his father used his influence and time to make peace between the English and native races. He owns land in Kapiti and on the West Coast, and at the present time has nearly 3000 sheep on Kapiti.

See pp. 1085 and 1091. Mr. H. A. Field, M. H. R. for Otaki.

See pp. 1085 and 1091.
Mr. H. A. Field, M. H. R. for Otaki