The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Te Horo is a small settlement on the Wellington-Manawatu Railway line, and is forty-three miles from the Capital. The residents of the district are chiefly engaged in farming pursuits. Education for the rising generation is provided at a public school, at which the average attendance is about thirty. The nearest telegraph office is at Otaki, which is four miles to the north. Mails for Te Horo close daily at Wellington at 6 a.m., arriving at Te Horo at 9 a.m. Mails close daily at Te Horo at 9 a.m., arriving at Wellington at 1 p.m.
The Te Horo Road Board consists of five wardens, and controls the district between the Otaki River and Waikanae. There are about twenty miles of formed roads, and a rate of three-eights of a penny in the pound is levied on rateable property to the value of £185,000. The members of the Board for 1896 are:—Messrs. W. H. Simcox (chairman), H. B. Horsbrough, H. Win-Hey, E. H. Bugg, and H. J. Richards.
Te Horo Public School, which is erected on a good section of two acres of land presented to the Board of Education by Mr. James Gear, is a capital building of the usual design. There are 39 scholars on the roll, the average attendance being 33. The headmaster, Mr. Alexander McBain, has been successful in passing his pupils at the various examinations, in the last instance all save one child having succeeded with credit to themselves and their teacher.
Te Horo Sheep Station adjoins the Wellington-Manawatu Company's line, the Te Horo Railway Station being very near to the homestead, which appears in the engraving herewith. This fine estate, which belongs to Mr. James Gear—wellknown as one of the pioneer butchers of Wellington, and whose name is prominent in connection with the frozen meat industry—was originally mostly a huge swamp. This has been thoroughly drained. The main drain, which is two miles in length, extends to the beach: it measures twenty-five feet at the top and eleven feet at the bottom, and has admirably served the purpose intended. A considerable portion of the farm has been ploughed, sown down in English grasses, and sub-divided into convenient sized paddocks. About 10,000 sheep are depastured on the property, special attention being given to breeding and fattening for the London and local markets. The stock are sent to the Gear Co.'s freezing works at Petone, which are fully described on pages 826 and 827 of this volume.
Mr. James Waugh, Manager of Mr. James Gear's farm at Te Horo, was born in 1859 in Roxburghshire, Scotland, where he was educated. Arriving in Port Chalmers in 1881, per ship “Oamaru,” Mr. Waugh was employed as a shepherd for three years on Mr. Riddiford's station on the East Coast, where there were 34,000 sheep and 5000 head of cattle. After twelve months at Featherston he came to Te Horo to take charge of Mr. Gear's farm, which has been greatly improved under his energetic management, the stock carried having since been increased from 800 to 10,000 sheep. In 1886 Mr. Waugh was married to Miss Urquhart, of Inverness, and has five sons and a daughter.
Mr. J. Waugh's Residence.