Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

White Wings Vol II. Founding Of The Provinces And Old-Time Shipping. Passenger Ships From 1840 To 1885



Morning Star, 1327 tons, Captain Matthews, arrived 14th January, via Melbourne, with 80 passengers. She was sent out by the Black Ball line.

page 203

Morning Light, 2377 tons, Captain Gillies, from Liverpool, via Melbourne, arrived 2nd March with 65 passengers. She was a noble vessel, built at St. John's, the largest vessel to arrive at Auckland up to the date.

Mersey, 812 tons, Captain D. Smith, sailed from London 22nd February, arrived 11th June. Passengers, 106. After discharging, the barque loaded kauri timber at Kaipara for London.

Henry Fernie, 1549 tons, Captain W. Hamilton, sailed from Queenstown 24th April, arrived 25th July. This ship brought out 18 officers, 692 men, and 69 women and children of various regiments.

Broadwater, 571 tons, Captain Stockman, sailed from Downs 3rd April, arrived 29th July. After passing Cape, the ship encountered, on 6th June, a heavy gale with hurricane squalls, which increased to a tornado, completely burying the ship and washing away a large portion of the bulwarks. It was impossible for the hands to go aloft to take in sail, so the fore topsails were let fly and the sails blown to ribbons. In a few minutes not a vestage of canvas remained on the yards, but the ship righted and was hove to, labouring terribly. One of the passengers, Mr. Henry Leeson, jumped overboard in a fit of insanity. The body was recovered but life was extinct. The Rev. Thatcher was a passenger.

Black Eagle, 1400 tons, Captain W. Smith, sailed from Plymouth 17th August, arrived 19th November. Passengers, 144. During a heavy gale the day after sailing, two casualties occurred, the first to a seaman, who fell from the rigging, which caused his death, and the second to a passenger, John H. Cobb, who fractured his leg in a fall. In November, 1924, four of the passengers by this ship were living in the Auckland province, viz: Mrs. Hooper, Messrs. William Taylor, R. C. Carr of Remuera, Auckland, and Mr. A. A. Alexander of Okaihau. When the vessel arrived, at Auckland there was not sufficient water to enable her to berth alongside the new wharf, which at that time extended from Quay Street to about half way down the present wharf, consequently the passengers and cargo had to be landed in cutters.