White Wings Vol II. Founding Of The Provinces And Old-Time Shipping. Passenger Ships From 1840 To 1885
The Lady Egidia was the largest wooden vessel entering Port Chalmers up till 1861. She was built in Scotland. When she appeared at Port Chalmers her model was the general theme of admiration. She belonged to Messrs. Potter, Wilson and Co., of Glasgow.
The Lady Egidia, on her first voyage to Otago, sailed from London on October 15th, 1860, having on board 400 passengers, the largest number ever shipped for New Zealand at that date. The ship arrived at Port Chalmers on January 28th, 1861, in command of Captain Curry.
Under the same command, she made her second voyage to Otago the following year. On this occasion she sailed from Glasgow on January 12th, 1862, having on board 217 passengers for Launceston and 83 for Otago. She reached Port Chalmers on May 6th, after an unpleasant and protracted voyage.