White Wings Vol II. Founding Of The Provinces And Old-Time Shipping. Passenger Ships From 1840 To 1885
The Oriental, a barque of 506 tons, was one of the first five ships sent out by the New Zealand Land Company. In addition to her voyages to Wellington and New Plymouth, referred to in the "Founding of the Provinces," further passages she made, were:—
1851—From London, Captain Macey; arrived at Lyttelton during August. After landing passengers and cargo, she was employed trading between Australia and New Zealand. On the 26th November she brought over 80 horses, 150 head cattle, and 1,500 sheep for Wellington and Lyttelton.
1855—From Portsmouth, arrived at Auckland February 26th, with passengers and cargo, 108 days out. She proceeded on to Lyttelton.
1857—Sailed from London June 11th; arrived at Nelson October 6th; after landing passengers proceeded to Wellington, arriving on October 13th, and landing 56 passengers. She then sailed for Lyttelton, arriving at that port on November 16th.
1859—Sailed from London November 1st, 1858; arrived at Port Chalmers on February 10th, and Lyttelton on February 17th. Captain Macey was in command during all the voyages from England after the first passagepage 146 to Wellington, and Captain Hyde, according to the reports published in Wellington, had charge of the vessel when trading to New South Wales.
Among the passengers landed at Nelson in 1857 were Mr. and Mrs. Calder, Rev. P. Calder, Miss Calder, Captain and Mrs. Baillie, and Mr. James Baillie, all well-known pioneers.