White Wings Vol II. Founding Of The Provinces And Old-Time Shipping. Passenger Ships From 1840 To 1885
The John Scott
The John Scott.
The "New Zealander," announcing the arrival of the John Scott in Auckland in 1859, described her as a fine sightly ship of 655 tons, in command of Captain D. Harrison. Sailing from Plymouth on the 20th November, 1858, with 200 passengers for Auckland, she arrived on the 5th of March, 1859. Among the passengers were the Right Rev. Archbishop Abraham, then Bishop of Wellington, who was returning from a visit to England, and the late Mrs. Sarah F. Laurie (relict of the late W. S. Laurie, formerly a leading merchant in Auckland), who passed away in Auckland on the 19th July, 1926.
The John Scott, on her second visit to Auckland in 1867, in charge of Captain M. Penfold, had a protracted passage of 130 days from the Downs. She arrived on the 28th April, and landed 42 passengers. The John Scott was a Sunderland-built ship, owned by J. J. Lidgett, of London.