Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

White Wings Vol II. Founding Of The Provinces And Old-Time Shipping. Passenger Ships From 1840 To 1885

Other Ships Arrive

Other Ships Arrive.

The first four ships are generally the only ones referred to when speaking of the founding of Canterbury, but vessels that arrived close on their heels are surely entitled to some of the reflected glory that surrounds pioneers. For instance, in February,page 75 two months after the Cressy, we have the Castle Eden, 930 tons, Captain T. Thornhill, entering Port Cooper with 27 cabin passengers, 32 fore-cabin passengers and 145 in the steerage. Among those in the cabin were Dr. Jackson, the bishop designate of Lyttelton, with his wife and family, Lord Frederick Montague, "and several other land purchasees," as the "Lyttelton Times" described them. This ship had sailed from Gravesend on September 28, and from Plymouth on October 3, but heavy weather drove her back, and she finally left Plymouth Sound on October 18.

Then the next vessel to reach Port Cooper was the Isabella Hercus, 618 tons, Captain Holstone, which left Plymouth on October 24, 1850, and reached Lyttelton on March 1, 1851. She brought out 25 cabin, 16 fore-cabin, and 107 steerage passengers.

The Duke of Bronte, 500 tons, Captain Barclay, anchored in Port Lyttelton on June 6, 1851, after a lengthy, cold, passage. She was followed by the Steadfast, Captain Spencer, the Labuan, the Bangalore, the Dominion, the Lady Nugent, the Travancore, and others. In nine months from the beginning of the emigration of the settlers sixteen ships were dispatched by the Canterbury Association, carrying, in round numbers, 2500 people. In September, 1851, the "Lyttelton Times" estimated the population at about 3000.