White Wings Vol II. Founding Of The Provinces And Old-Time Shipping. Passenger Ships From 1840 To 1885
Wreck Of The Regina
Wreck Of The Regina.
As the Amelia Thompson could not take all the cargo that came forward, the newly-built copper-sheathed schooner Regina, 174 tons, Captain Browse, was chartered by the company. She left Plymouth early in April, 1841, and on August 31 reached Port Nicholson, where she remained nearly a month. She left again on September 27, taking as a passenger Captain Liardet, R.N., who superseded Captain King, as agent of the New Zealand Land Company, the two organisations having by this time amalgamated.
Arriving off New Plymouth on October 3, the schooner struck the same bad weather as the Amelia Thompson. Part of the little vessel's cargo was landed, and then she was compelled to put to sea, there being such a furious gale blowing. Bad weather continued at intervals, and finally, on the evening of November 4, the schooner was driven ashore opposite the landing-place. No lives were lost. An attempt was made to float her off later, with the aid of casks, but she was too firmly embedded, and eventually was so damaged by pounding on the rocks that she became a total wreck. Fortunately all the cargo was got out of her. The hull was sold to Mr. John Lewthwaite for £150. The spot where the Regina went ashore is just about where the New Plymouth railway station now stands.