White Wings Vol II. Founding Of The Provinces And Old-Time Shipping. Passenger Ships From 1840 To 1885
The New Zealand Company's chartered ship Gertrude, 560 tons, Captain T. F. Stead, left Gravesend for New Zealand on June 19th, 1841, with 220 passengers, and made Port Nicholson on October 30th. On the following morning the settlers and their families landed at Kaiwharawhara, the majority of them being accommodated in native-built huts that had been erected for the settlers who came out in the ship Blenheim. Mr. John Plimmer, a well-known Wellington citizen of later years, came out to New Zealand on this voyage of the Gertrude, and shortly afterwards commenced business as a builder.