White Wings Vol II. Founding Of The Provinces And Old-Time Shipping. Passenger Ships From 1840 To 1885
When the ship London, 700 tons, Captain Henry Shuttleworth, arrived at Wellington, on December 12, 1840, she was the largest vessel that had up to that time entered the port, or probably that had visited New Zealand. She took 121 days over the voyage, having sailed from Gravesend on August 13th, 1840. Among her passengers, who numbered 228, were Mr. F. A. Carrington, chief surveyor of the Plymouth Company; Mr. J. T. Wicksteed, who afterwards became a leading resident at Wanganui; and Mr. A. de Bathe Brandon, who was so well known in Wellington for many years. Although the Plymouth Company was a separate company, with its own officers, it was really an offshoot of the New Zealand Company, and, as a matter of fact, acquired land from the latter, or rather acquired such title as the Company possessed. Eventually the two companies amalgamated.
This fine frigate-built ship had been turned out from the dockyards for the conveyance of passengers to and from Calcutta.