White Wings Vol II. Founding Of The Provinces And Old-Time Shipping. Passenger Ships From 1840 To 1885
Such was the rush of people to emigrate to New Zealand that they could not all be accommodated on the ships already chartered by the Company, and an additional vessel put on the berth, to take those who had been shut out of previous ships, was the Bolton, 540 tons, Captain John Percival Robinson, which left Gravesend on November 19th, 1839, with 232 people on board. Three days later she was off the Isle of Wight, and took just under a month to reach Santa Cruz, Teneriffe, at which port she made a call. She was a slow craft, and did not make Port Nicholson until April 20th, 1840, being 154 days out from the Thames. All the Bolton's passengers were landed at the Thorndon Beach, and the greater part of them lived in very primitive shanties, known as "Bolton Row," until they could build themselves something more substantial. Among the passengers who came out in the Bolton were the Revs. J. F. Churton and J. G. Butler, the second and third clergymen to be sent out by the Company; the first who landed at Wellington being the Rev. John Macfarlane, who arrived in the Bengal Merchant.