Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

White Wings Vol I. Fifty Years Of Sail In The New Zealand Trade, 1850 TO 1900

The Parsee

page 176

The Parsee.

the Parsee, a fine clipper ship of 1281 tons, was built at Greenock in 1869, and was originally intended (as may be implied by her name) for an "India-man." Prior to coming to New Zealand she traded between the Clyde and India, and in the early days made some very fast runs. She completed four voyages to the Dominion, her best run being 84½ days to Port Chalmers, port to port.

the Parsee was sent out first to Auckland in 1873 with five saloon passengers and 98 immigrants. She sailed from Gravesend under the command of Captain Nelson on January 14, and landed the pilot off Portland four days
the Parsee At Port Chalmers.

the Parsee At Port Chalmers.

later. In the Channel she experienced very heavy west-south-west gales and heavy cross seas, many of which broke on board, doing damage and putting the passengers to discomfort. The wheel was carried away by one of these seas coming on board, the lifeboat was also washed off the davits, the main deck was filled with water, and one of the ventilators carried away, by which the 'tween decks became flooded. The weather having moderated, the vessel experienced variable winds while shaping for the southward. Canary Island was sighted on February 5, on which day the north-east trades were picked up. These proved fresh, and were carried nearly to the Line, but were lost on February 14. Crossed the Equator on February 18, and failed to derive any benefit from the south-east trades, as the winds experienced were light variables from south to south-east, then north-east and north-west, the former prevailing. Variable winds prevailed to the meridian of the Cape, which was passed on March 25, after sighting the island of Trinidad on March 1,. Her easting was run down in a parallel of 45deg south latitude, although the ship was carried as low as 48deg when off the coast of Tasmania. On April 6 a strong north-east to north and then north-west gale was encountered. On May 3 Cape Maria Van Diemen was sighted, thence variable winds down the coast, the ship arriving at Auckland on May 6.

The "Daily Southern Cross," announcing the ship's arrival, stated: "She brings out a fine batch of immigrants, including a number of comely girls."

the Parsee on her next voyage sailed from Gravesend with 246 passengers on June 11, and arrived at Port Chalmers on September 4, 1874, still in command of Captain Nelson. She made a good run of 24 days to the Equator, which was crossed on July 6, and anchored atpage 177 Port Chalmers on September 4, making the passage in 84½ days, port to port.

After an interval of nine years the Parsee again visited Port Chalmers. She left London on February 1 in charge of Captain Bailey, and arrived on May 15, 1883, the passage occupying 103 days, port to port.

A lapse of another eight years, and the Parsee was once more sent to Port Chalmers with a general cargo. She sailed from Gravesend on November 1, 1890, under Captain Pinel, and arrived at Port Chalmers on February 9, 1891, making the passage in 99 days, port to port.