Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

White Wings Vol I. Fifty Years Of Sail In The New Zealand Trade, 1850 TO 1900

Chariot Of Fame

Chariot Of Fame.

Troops for the Maori War.

During the Waikato war some very fine ships were employed bringing out troops, and a noted visitor to Auckland was the Chariot of Fame, a handsome clipper of 1639 tons built in America and flying the flag of the famous White Star Company. She had excellent accommodation for passengers, and before she was chartered by the Government to bring troops out to New Zealand to quell the Maori disturbances she had been in the Australian trade. She made several smart passages while in that trade, and on one occasion she did the run from London to Melbourne in 67 days.

the Chariot of Fame arrived in Auckland on January 8, 1864, under command of Captain Clark, having left Queenstown on October 7, 1863. After an uneventful passage of 92 days she landed 520 rank and file of the 58th, 70th, 18th, 40th, 57th, and 65th Regiments, and 64 women and 67 children. The officers by this ship were Ensign T. Waring, 58th; Lieut. Mentieth, 70th; Lieut. Currie, Royal Artillery; Captains J. D. Baka and Hall, 18th; Captain Mansergh, 40th; Ensign T. H. King, 40th; Captain T. H. Lloyd, 57th; Lieut.-Colonel W. Young, 65th; Captains Blewitt, W. Haggin, Ensigns Byam, T. G. Thomson, and Chater, all of the 65th; also Staff-Surgeon E. M. Bowtree and Assistant Surgeon E. Chandler. Many of these brave men were killed in the Waikato war. During the passage out a private of the 70th was washed overboard and drowned, and there were eight deaths—one adult and seven children.

The year before she was at Auckland the Chariot of Fame visited Lyttelton, where she arrived on January 29, 1863, with 460 passengers, of whom 430 were Government immigrants. She left London on October 29, 1862, and notwith-standing a detention of several days in the Channel she sighted the Snares on the eighty-first day out. On the coast she was further delayed by light winds and calms, and did not reach her destination until the ninety-second day out from the docks.