Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

White Wings Vol I. Fifty Years Of Sail In The New Zealand Trade, 1850 TO 1900

The Fernglen

The Fernglen.

the Fernglen (N.Z. Shipping Co.), a fine ship of over 800 tons, built at Sunderland in 1874 for R. B. Porrett, had accommodation for from 200 to 300 passengers. She brought out several thousands of our early settlers to New Zealand during the 'seventies.
The Ship Fernglen.

The Ship Fernglen.

She made a very fast run to Port Chalmers in 1878. Leaving Gravesend on November 27, she dropped anchor at Deal on December 2, where she found over 200 vessels which had been detained for several weeks awaiting a favourable change in the weather to hoist their sails. This came on the following day, and the passengers on the Fernglen witnessed a beautiful sight when these vessels got underway. the Fernglen took her departure from the Lizard on December 4, and crossed the Equator 24 days later. She rounded the Cape on January 21, and sighted the Snares on February 16 after a good run of 26 days from the Cape, and with a favourable wind anchored at Port Chalmers the following day, February 17, making the run in 70 days land to land and 78 port to port.

the Fernglen on January 2, 1879, arrived at Nelson with 225 emigrants, and landed only a few. Two days later she sailed for Wellington, arriving there on the 5th. The Wellington "Times," reporting her arrival, stated: "The ship called at Nelson, but as there was no demand for immigrants she came on to Wellington."

When the Fernglen was launched Captain Walter Frater was given command. He made six successive voyages to New Zealand, and in 1879 retired from the sea and settled in Auckland, where he resumed his proper name. Captain Walter Frater. When he was a boy about 12 years of age he ran away from home and joined a ship sailing forpage 284 Calcutta. Upon his return, six months later, his father had the lad properly indentured. An error, however, was made in entering his name Fraser instead of Frater, with the result that throughout his seafaring career he was known as Captain Fraser. He followed the sea for many years, and received his mate's certificate at 26 years of age. He ran for several years to the East before taking over the Fernglen and Ferndale. The latter vessel, under Captain Frater, made two voyages to New Zealand. She arrived first at Auckland on January 20th, 1872, and again on the 17th November, 1873. When Captain Frater was transferred to the Fernglen Captain Wigsell brought the Ferndale to Auckland, arriving there on the 8th September, 1874.

Captain Frater lived to the ripe age of 87 years, and passed away at his residence, Parnell, Auckland, on June 21, 1924. During his long life in Auckland he filled a number of honourable positions, and was a member of many local institutions, including the Melanesian Trust Board and the Leslie Orphanage. He was also for a long period a member of the vestry of St. Mary's Cathedral, and represented that parish for some years on the Anglican Synod.

the Fernglen made nine voyages to New Zealand ports, as under:—

To Auckland.
Sailed. Arrived. Captain. Days.
Jan. 3, '75 Apr. 29, '75 Fraser 115
Aug. 16 Nov. 25, '79 Fraser 100
July 19 Oct. 21, '80 Bubb 94
To Wellington.
*Oct. 12, '78 Jan. 5, '79 Fraser 85
May 1 July 30, '81 Bubb 90
To Port Chalmers.
Dec. 2, '77 Feb. 17, '78 78
Land to land 70
To Nelson.
Apr. 21, '76 Fraser 91
Jan. 2, '79 Fraser 81
To Napier.
Dec. 6 Mar. 20, '77 Fraser 104

* Via Nelson.