Of the boarding house. He is lying down
On the unmade bed, in a rubbed black
Jacket draped with silver chains. Consider
The hair in ringlets, the long pale jaw
Of a stone Crusader. Our son does not belong
To our dimension. He has chosen
To die in the lap of the cruel virgin
We call Reality – rum, vomit, girls, police
And motorbikes. Take off his heavy Martian crown.
If he could breathe gas, not oxygen;
If he could eat radium;
If he’d a blob of solder in the brain and groin –
There’d be no problem. He’d have been quite able
To get his union ticket and belong. (Uncollected)

1.There were two distinct sources in experience from which the material of the poem was taken. The first was personal recollection of a period in 1948 when I was living at the back of a Christchurch boarding house, and was occasionally more strongly tempted to suicide than at any other time in my life. I recreated some of this experience in an autobiographical prose sketch page 256 (‘Some Time Ago’) which I wrote and had published in the June 1955 issue of Meanjin

I had been looking for a job for ten days. At the time I was living on my own in a shack beside a garage behind an old boarding house in a suburb of Christchurch. A little dog-kennel of a place with a stretcher, a gas-ring, a chest-of-drawers and a ripped gas-light on a pipe from the ceiling. Sometimes I wanted to plug up the door and turn on the gas without lighting it; but other times, especially on a fine morning, you could see hundreds of wax-eyes swinging on the sow-thistle heads outside. It was only eight bob a week, and that meant freedom as I saw it then, to work or not to work, to come home as late as I liked, to put into words the shape of the world inside me (though I never managed that) and of course to get drunk. There was a girl who came to see me, but I don’t think she liked the place as well as I did . . .

In the Meanjin sketch I mention also a period when I had neither money nor food –

I could have got a meal at a friend’s house, or borrowed a pound. But I didn’t. It was one thing to borrow money for drinking, when everyone was drinking – ‘Could you lend me half a dollar, Tom? I’ve not got enough for the round’ – but it was different to bring private hunger to someone else’s table. So the distance widened, a gap between me and the substantial world, and a dark wind was blowing there that scattered every wish like the sheets of newspaper in the street outside the theatre foyer where I picked up quarter-smoked women’s cigarette butts, tinged with lipstick, undid them, and rolled them again with the burnt end towards my mouth. A great lethargy, like the first wave of a rising tide, rose over me. It would have been easy to stay all afternoon on the sagging stretcher under the grey blanket, and sleep and wake and sleep again till the wax-eyes flew in the window with seeds to drop on my breast . . .

The second source, which made me start again on the poem after having given it up as a bad job, was an awareness of the problems of a particular young man, a member of a motorbike group, who had recently been to the funeral of a friend in Christchurch who had been killed by a motorbike accident. In such deaths there is, I think, some element of subconscious choice. The final description of the ‘Martian’ takes something from the physical appearance of the young man I happened to know.

There was a third minor source in a science fiction story in which the spacemen involved in a permanent interplanetary war are described as ‘sacrificial kings’ – and in general the final shape of the poem owes something to the ideas and language of science fiction.

2.On the morning of the 23rd February 1967 I was looking through one of my MS. books and struck the two unsuccessful drafts (1a and 1b) – and felt that there was some experiential truth embedded in them which could page 257 still make a poem. Having in mind the way I had tackled writing the poem ‘Farmhand’, I began with a short atmospheric prose statement. Drafts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 were written fairly rapidly in the course of the morning. I was then obliged to go out with my wife and daughter for a picnic lunch on the Peninsula, and took the beginning of Draft 8 along with me, somewhat resenting the interruption in composition; but, as often happens, the break was helpful; and the new ikons of the Crusader and the Unicorn began to take shape. I made the new notes standing on a beach and looking at the harbour water: a physical situation that often frees my mind to move in a somewhat trancelike way. The image of a unicorn applied to masculine adolescent spirituality comes from several sources. One of the poems in my first book of verse is called ‘The Unicorn’, and deals precisely with the adolescent condition; and I have often reflected on the unicorn myth – once I wrote an article which was published in the Catholic paper Zealandia, called ‘The Virgin and the Unicorn’, in which I tried to set down in symbolic terms the way in which the influence of the Blessed Virgin frees a self-centred intellectuality and makes it fruitful. I had also the myth of Icarus and the Arthurian myth in mind, though vaguely. But in Draft 8 the main new development was that I seemed to have found a myth to contain both the isolated energy and innocence of adolescence, the death into maturity symbolised by the unicorn being trapped by a virgin – the adolescent suicide is this death in its most negative aspect – and also I identified myself with the adult hunters who kill the unicorn, and eat its body, which is a type also of the Body of Christ consumed by Christian believers. Some notion of the Pietà remains in the final version of the poem; but the Eucharistic reference seemed to me both too obvious and too inexact.
3.In Draft 9, written early on the evening of the 23rd, I began to draw the various symbols together, abandoning the abba half-rhymed quatrains to which I had been steering the poem (the pattern of ‘Farmhand’) and using instead a looser more conversational structure. It was only in Draft 10 that the Martian image rose to the surface of my mind, with the words – ‘Take off his heavy Martian crown’ – and this led me in turn to change – ‘Our son does not belong / To us’ – to – ‘Our son does not belong / To our dimension’ – and also helped me to give a different ending to the poem. I went later that evening to a PTA meeting with my wife, and while various teachers spoke interminably from the platform, I revolved and polished the last five lines in my mind; at one stage I had it – ‘If he could eat cobalt and radium’ – with a reference to atomic warfare – and also – ‘If he could eat stone’ – and – ‘If he could eat iron’ – but it became stable as – ‘If he could eat radium.’ What freed me to write the last five lines was the sudden recognition, on a bench at the PTA meeting, that if the suicide were able to breathe gas, he would have no problem – this further led me to consider that, metaphorically, we ask our adolescents to ‘adjust’ to a society devoid of spiritual values – to breathe page 258 gas instead of air, to eat radium instead of bread, to install a wiring system in the brain and genitals which will obviate both rational decision and vital instinct. Just before the recognition, the words were in my mind – ‘The gas will choke you. Turn / The jet off . . .’. I finished writing the poem when I came home after the PTA meeting. It did not trouble me much that the fact that the poem is on one level about an adolescent suicide might be now hidden from the reader – the word ‘gas’ is the only direct clue – because I felt I had constructed a satisfactory myth to contain the various levels of intuition and experience.
4. There are perhaps narcissist, homosexual and necrophiliac nuances in the poem: the dead body is passive and in a degree androgynous. I had had one or two dreams with similar nuances before writing the poem. Plainly, though, the poem would not have ‘come clean’ if I had not found a way of using these nuances without being submerged by them. I accede fully to Freud’s humbling view that all human minds are subconsciously and permanently polymorphous-perverse. It seems to me that an artist just has to accept this within himself and work with it. Since one’s subconscious patterns are not determined by the will, it is not strictly a moral issue.
5. Comments on the images
(a)The motorbike is in the context of the poem an obvious symbol of masculine energy – from the Freudian angle, phallic, as the street in contrast is a female sex symbol – and its ‘stuttering’ suggests a partial failure of masculinity. The cathedral is maternal as well as religious: ‘behind’ also means ‘out of sight of ’, implying that what interests the adolescent group is out of sight of the matriarchy and the religious tradition. The girlfriend who wears boots implies a femininity that has become partly masculine: a minor lead-up to the ‘cruel virgin’ later in the poem. In general this portion of the poem indicates a social group in which the masculine and feminine roles are not firmly established as opposites. The ‘if any’ indicates that the girl with boots on feels clothed – the boots are part of her essential image of her social role – without them she would be naked – as if one said ‘what clothes, if any’ – and there is here a possible implication of promiscuity.
(b)

The wax-eyes represent the whole natural creation: they are, as it were, friendly mourners at the death of Adam, as in Webster’s lines –

. . . the robin redbreast and the wren . . .
(That) with twigs and leaves do cover
The friendless bodies of unburied men . . .

page 259
(c) The blackness of the jacket and the silver of the chains are lunar colours. The chains are the chains of office of the sacrificial king. They are also, one is aware, self-made chains, the chains of imagination which is the territory of the moon. The Crusader image amplifies the notion of sacrifice by its connection with the Cross; moreover, it brings in a notion of tradition which is at odds with the untraditional modern world. A sacrificial king does not belong to ‘our’ dimension; nor does a Martian, who is by definition an alien creature.
(d)

‘He has chosen / To die in the lap of the cruel virgin / We call Reality . . .’. This statement is the metaphysical core of the poem. Who is the cruel virgin? I suggest – Diana, the moon-goddess – though in my early poem, ‘The Unicorn’, she was Aphrodite –

. . . but see
From the cold surf ’s futurity
Aphrodite Andyomene
Arise in birth thou would’st extinction deem,
Arise and bind thee to an iron dream . . .

She represents an implacable and devouring Reality that confronts the adolescent soul. In a sequence of prose poems published in one of the issues of the Victoria University students’ periodical Salient I refer to the cry of the Furies as ‘an echo of that first cry of horror that rose at the breaking of the virgin sleep of Mother All . . .’. And this Unblessed Virgin is creation seen as chaos, the emptied and non-sacramental universe which modern man has to try to penetrate, master and understand. The protagonist of the present poem is mastered and defeated by it. The implication of a Pietà is not unconsidered; since the dead Christ resting on the knees of the Blessed Virgin is the positive and sacramental pattern of what here occurs negatively. Thus too the Martian crown is an obverse image of the Crown of Thorns.

(e)

The remaining images simply establish that the failure of the ‘Martian’ to penetrate ‘our’ Reality may be a sign of his humanity. We are the Martians; and he the visiting Earthman who has tried and failed to breathe the Martian atmosphere. If he had succeeded, he could have entered our economic and technological world and so gained his Martian ticket. . . .

[The notes included the following interesting but futile passage on the rhythmical and aural effects of the poem.]

. . . . I’ll give you my notion of the metrical and rhyming scheme of ‘The Martian’ – notation thus –

page 260

- heavy beat
+ light heavy beat
* light beat
/ division between metrical feet

*-*/-*+/**-*+*/-*
-*+/ . . .
No! It’s too bloody hard to work out; though I think the three-beat (or rather, three degrees of emphasis) pattern of analysis would probably be the most exact – some of the Yankee critics use a form of notation with four degrees of emphasis. So I’ll keep it to two degrees of emphasis, as is traditional. This time –
- heavy beat
+ light beat

+-+/-+-/++-++/+-+
-+/-++/+-++/-+/_
--/+-+/+-+/+-+/++-
+-/+-/ . . .

Shit! It can be worked out, John, after the event – but the best description is simply this – a poem with four strong beats to the line, sometimes increasing to five, once or twice decreasing to three, at the very end to two – predominantly dactylic in pattern, with free trochaic and spondaic substitution. The only end-words that don’t fit into an unemphasised pattern of half-rhymes (or full rhymes) are police, radium and able – but police is assonantally linked to Reality, thus giving aninternal assonance, especially since both logic and punctuation call for a pause after Reality, and the N.Z. habit is to pronounce such an ending not as ‘i’ but as ‘ee’; and radium and able are also assonantal rhyme . . . .

Yes; that will do without breaking the mind with science. The poem has to sound right to me, John; but the process is barely conscious; and I didn’t know till this minute why radium and able seemed right to me, even though they weren’t consciously geared to the half-rhyme pattern, as for example crown and groin are, or consider and jaw; but now I see it was because they were exact assonances. . . .

1967 (418)