Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

James K. Baxter Complete Prose Volume 1

[Programme Note for Richard Campion’s production of The Wide Open Cage]

[Programme Note for Richard Campion’s production of The Wide Open Cage]

This play has no message. It simply holds up a mirror to certain relationships among people. The Wide Open Cage is life itself; or, if you like, the inordinate love of creatures. The people in the play are each in their different ways trying to find happiness in other people; except for the priest, who is out of the running, and Hogan, who loves nobody. The fact that three of the people are Catholics is really incidental. Catholicism brings to a head certain problems of freedom and involvement which are latent in all human relationships. To those inside the cage release seems to be the death of love.

I have tried to make the people in the play say freely what they think. It requires therefore a broadminded producer, an uninhibited cast, and an audience who do not mind being jolted a little. Fortunately the first two requirements have been fulfilled. I am grateful to Mr Campion for his support, advice, and enthusiasm, and to another friend whose illuminating conversation planted the germ of the play in my mind and helped me to develop the character of Skully.

1959 (203)